Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 07:52 PM   #2161
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's absolutely nothing good about the rioting and looting, it's pointless and stupid.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:53 PM   #2162
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
In that case you wouldn’t have some of the convoy retreat and not proceed through and area with potentially open fire?
I have no idea....im just presenting a scenario.

It looks like that was taken yesterday, so authorities have likely seen it and are investigating. If it was unwarranted, there will be fallout.

Particularly because this was in Minneapolis. The Chief of Police and city administration are on hyper alert for anything like this right now.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:56 PM   #2163
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Rioting and looting doesnt hurt the government one bit financially.

It hurts those that lose their jobs when building are burned down, it hurts those that rely on their community businesses becuae they arent overly mobile and now cant get groceries and medication when needed.

It truly helps nor solves a damn thing and only causes longer term harm...usually to those that have seen a lot of that already.
It hurts the government in two ways
- for the law and order types - they look bad because they can't control the population
- for the people who are sympathetic to the protesters - they look bad because people feel the need to riot
Old 06-06-2020, 07:56 PM   #2164
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
What if they were throwing rocks at cruisers as they were going by? what if they were being violent and refusing to disperse earlier? who knows.

I hate videos like that
What do you think the odds of either of those situations being true are? Why just pepper spray them instead of getting out and arresting them?

I guess it's possible you're right but it looks like they picked random targets to me.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:58 PM   #2165
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
It hurts the government in two ways
- for the law and order types - they look bad because they can't control the population
- for the people who are sympathetic to the protesters - they look bad because people feel the need to riot
Thats nice.

It still doesnt hurt them financially...which is what the answer was too.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:03 PM   #2166
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Again, guys. We are not talking about rioting as a policy decision. It is happening organically. There is no judgment to be made about its value.

Last edited by blender; 06-06-2020 at 08:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 08:15 PM   #2167
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
There's absolutely nothing good about the rioting and looting, it's pointless and stupid.
I would argue rioting is very pointed.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:37 PM   #2168
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you think no positive change can ever come from rioting but you've attended a Pride parade, or flown a rainbow flag, or otherwise shown your support for friends/family/coworkers/neighbours/etc. who are members of the LGBT community, boy have I got a story for you.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 08:48 PM   #2169
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
from that clip, how can we know it's for no reason? we have no idea what lead up to it.

Sorry, this is ****ing ridiculous. Just humour us and make up one god damn scenario where cops are quickly driving by protesters and fire pepper spray out their window at people. Do it Flamesgimp, let's hear it.

C'mon. Not "there could have been a reason", I mean, you. You come up with some conceivable scenario. Just try, let's hear it.

Something lead up to it, like **** me.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 08:50 PM   #2170
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

A genius showed up at the protest in Toronto today in black face. He was arrested for disturbing the peace, or to save him from a beating.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalne...m-protest/amp/
Old 06-06-2020, 08:53 PM   #2171
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
If you think no positive change can ever come from rioting but you've attended a Pride parade, or flown a rainbow flag, or otherwise shown your support for friends/family/coworkers/neighbours/etc. who are members of the LGBT community, boy have I got a story for you.

People have very little ability to apply historical events to present day. Studying what led to various outcomes is one thing and most can understand and appreciate that unrest and violence has led to most change in society (as peaceful and calm measures generally lead to nothing) but they hate seeing it in present day, in their lives, so they assign a negative value to it and chastise it as negative and useless. It's fascinating.

Last edited by jayswin; 06-06-2020 at 08:57 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 09:06 PM   #2172
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
People have very little ability to apply historical events to present day. Studying what led to various outcomes is one thing and most can understand and appreciate that unrest and violence has led to most change in society (as peaceful and calm measures generally lead to nothing) but they hate seeing it in present day, in their lives, so they assign a negative value to it and chastise it as negative and useless. It's fascinating.
As someone who has always been fascinated by the history of WWII, I've read every book and watched every documentary about that period I can get my hands on. It's absolutely infuriating to me to see modern day fascists employ literally the exact same tactics that were used to gain and consolidate power in the 1920s and 30s, and far too few people notice the historical parallel. When people say Trump and his cronies are acting like Hitler, they're dismissed for using crass hyperbole, and Godwin's law is invoked. Except they're not talking about the Adolf Hitler of 1944 who ordered the wholesale extermination of Jews on an industrial scale, they're talking about the Adolf Hitler of 1933, when Germany still ostensibly had a functioning democracy, and, crucially, when he still could have been stopped before it was too late.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:10 PM   #2173
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Saskatoon had a protest a few nights ago, around 1500 people, completely peaceful. Not a single incident. Winnipeg reports the same with an even bigger protest. Calgary did OK to I think?

Canada setting the bar once again for how to get it done.

Mean while in the states, two more officers are killed in the riots.
Just one quick note from Pittsburgh. Last Saturday we had some small property damage. Brought on by a dumb white kid spraying anarchy symbols and destroying a cop car while valid protesters tried to stop him.

Then Monday there was an outburst of property damage, but they investigated and discovered that the Pittsburgh city police who were "protecting" went in on protesters unprovoked, with tear gas (when they originally said they only used smoke to disperse). The mayor put them up for investigation, reigned them in, and we have had 5 straight days of fully peaceful protests ever since. Not a single incident of looting, no damaged property.

I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
What do you do for a living?

If you truly do condone the looting and rioting. Take your lifes work, and throw it out the window. Because that is what is happening to thousands of American families right now. Families of all colour and religion. COVID was hard enough to keep a business floating, now you have to deal with it all being burned to the ground?

So go ahead, take a pic when you're done to show you truly support it all. It's easy to say you support it, when you aren't the one paying the price.
Okay, just feel the need to interject a bit here. I agree, damaging and looting small businesses is always wrong.

Make no mistake, though. The government's failure to properly roll out protections and assistance for small businesses is going to wreck far, far more small businesses than any of this looting will. I work for one of these small businesses, and getting actual assistance was damn near impossible. We were weeks away from having to close down entirely before we opened yesterday.

Looting is terrible, don't get me wrong, but the government at large did far worse than any protesters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
People have died during these riots. Some of them black people. Yeah its easy to think its all worth smashing up a few windows it if it changes things, but there are victims and lives destroyed in this type of reaction too, but no one is talking about that.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-people-killed
There were people killed during the labor movement, the Civil rights movement, etc. Anytime an attempt at revolution happens, lives are lost. Those in power do not generally give in to peaceful requests.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 09:10 PM   #2174
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
As someone who has always been fascinated by the history of WWII, I've read every book and watched every documentary about that period I can get my hands on. It's absolutely infuriating to me to see modern day fascists employ literally the exact same tactics that were used to gain and consolidate power in the 1920s and 30s, and far too few people notice the historical parallel. When people say Trump and his cronies are acting like Hitler, they're dismissed for using crass hyperbole, and Godwin's law is invoked. Except they're not talking about the Adolf Hitler of 1944 who ordered the wholesale extermination of Jews on an industrial scale, they're talking about the Adolf Hitler of 1933, when Germany still ostensibly had a functioning democracy, and, crucially, when he still could have been stopped before it was too late.
It's not like fascists invented these tactics. There's roots in human psychology that make them effective.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:23 PM   #2175
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those saying roiting doesn't help and lead to change, then why are we still discussing this issue for over a week now?

From the outside looking in with no actual skin in the game, sure, rioting seems like an overly aggressive response that can be more detrimental than beneficial. But when the more peaceful approach has been taken (for forever), people don't pay attention, and this story would've already been out of the news cycle. Because people don't really care to change things if it isn't glaring obvious - in your face - that it has too. There's no motivation.

But this, this has had people talking about how blacks have been treated, and how police conduct has been. This has shown a light on the ugliness that we've known has been there, but haven't truly focused on. The riots are unforentate to see, but it gets people to dig into why they are happening. If this is what it takes to get people to start addressing issues targeted at blacks that haven't been addressed for too long, then so be it.

The riots are ugly, but life in America as a black is uglier.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 09:30 PM   #2176
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure all three of these guys had a real good reason...

Last edited by mrdonkey; 06-06-2020 at 09:33 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 09:34 PM   #2177
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

“Stop mad-dogging me!” Lol.

This cop is itching for a confrontation. I bet he was exactly the same in high school.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 09:38 PM   #2178
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
“Stop mad-dogging me!” Lol.

This cop is itching for a confrontation. I bet he was exactly the same in high school.
It's a common tactic. Incite confrontation, escalate, and intimidate on the threat of phoney charges that will ultimately get thrown out of court. Bait the target into retaliation to catch them on resisting arrest and assault of an officer.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:43 PM   #2179
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
It's a common tactic. Incite confrontation, escalate, and intimidate on the threat of phoney charges that will ultimately get thrown out of court. Bait the target into retaliation to catch them on resisting arrest and assault of an officer.
The old saying was 'you can beat the ticket but you cant beat the ride'
Old 06-06-2020, 09:51 PM   #2180
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Semper Fi.

Story.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread