Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-31-2020, 07:16 PM   #21
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Torn on this one

His record was SOLID...by far the best team in the division since he took over. For me it all came down to the final few games/playoffs before I wanted to make the call and obviously we may never know.

The benefit to a "proven head coach" is then we will know once in for all if its the coach or the players on the ice. Lets also not forget Ward came into a pretty tough spot, should he get the job full time he will actually have time to prepare. (and hopefully a better roster)

Last edited by dino7c; 03-31-2020 at 07:20 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:45 PM   #22
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Improvement under Ward might be as much the result of addition by the subtraction of Peters than addition by addition of Ward.

I think they could've been on an even better trajectory with an experienced coach.

I think Ward made a series of poor in game decisions that kept them from collecting more points than they did after christmas. He doesn't appear to be in tune with the pulse of his bench given his decision making at key times.

But this goes to show that even without a strong presence in the leadership role, they're naturally a decent team.

They could be a much better team with a coach that can adjust in game to the opponent, press buttons and employ strategies that have a history of working at this level.

If you're satisfied enough by those 50 or so games to declare this guy head coach, I don't think you're aiming as high as you should with a team that boasts this kind of talent. My response would be that we should be aiming for higher than what the Flames have shown under Ward.

Nobody here felt the Flames were poised to do much damage in the playoffs outside of possible edging a mediocre opponent in round one.

I'd rather lock down a coach that instills more faith in me with the on ice product. This "conclusion" Francis is drawing is so in line with the Calgary Flames of old. Leading the Flames to 3rd behind the good but not elite Vegas and the overachieving Oilers (and a good chance of being bumped down by the still rebuilding Canucks) while looking hard pressed to break even in GF/GA is too low of a bar to set, if you're set on winning something IMO.

If Ward has convinced you with that stretch of games Eric, then you're clearly more easily satisfied by this club than I am.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 08:36 PM   #23
Press Level
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I would like to see Treliving conduct an actual search for a head coach and conduct interviews with multiple candidates... for the very first time as a GM.
Press Level is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Press Level For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 08:42 PM   #24
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ward didn't "lead the Flames to third behind the Oilers" they were double digit points behind them when he took over and wound up 4 behind them with a game in hand. Under Ward the Flames played at a 100 point pace. I'm not sure he's the guy either but when judging him remove the stats under Peters to be fair.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:42 PM   #25
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Level View Post
I would like to see Treliving conduct an actual search for a head coach and conduct interviews with multiple candidates... for the very first time as a GM.

Don't forget that Brad comes from a business background from how his father and a lot of business guys do business - bringing in their own people from past relationships, rather than interviewing an keeping an open mind. It's just sometimes how things are done. Often business people fall into their own bias traps where they believe their hiring choices are great, when in fact most others can see they're crap. Brad really hasn't hired his coaches well.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:08 PM   #26
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh Eric Francis, a guy who has a long history of wanting to see this team crash and burn so he can run his favourite schtick wants Ward to remain head coach? Real surprise there. Just what we need, an extended time of zero system but dump and chase. Bring in a proven good head coach for once!
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:22 PM   #27
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Personally, I'd want a younger coach who can work with the speculated whingers we have. We've tried the old hardasses, and guys eventually tune them out. Time to try something a bit more new age with a younger coach who can work with these young millionaires. Not a fan of Laviolette, and I think Boudreau would give tough love, so no to that right now. Gallant, though not young would be more what I'd aim for this time around with this group. It's worth the shot.

Glen Gulutzan says hey.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 10:39 PM   #28
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Francis: Ward should lose interim tag and be hired full-time

But what about using his timeouts

Seriously and as mentioned the only noteworthy snippet from the article is ownership paying a top head coach with Peters already on some sort of buyout.

In the history of the franchise arguably the 3 most recognized coaches with any sort of NHL track record were Bob Johnson, Mike Keenan, and Daryl Sutter (Hartley & the stacked team in CO aside).

Badger Bob proved his knowledge, passion, dedication and had some incredible fortune in Pittsburgh with a team including Super Mario and Jaromir Jagr. HHOF!

Sutter had a chip on his shoulder the size of Mount Assiniboine after being fired during the season in San Jose and he was just what the team needed at that time... too bad he was given the GM duties to ruin it all before lifting the Cup in LA twice! Mic drop...

Keenan had lost his luster and his style was more effective in a past era, but honestly was just abysmal in the playoffs.

I would not go all in on Ward to take this franchise to the promised land, but would try and keep him on staff. I don’t think he can do it as a head coach based on the sample size of 2/3 of a season and what I saw from the team on a consistent basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by iamca; 03-31-2020 at 10:42 PM.
iamca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:06 AM   #29
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I very much disagree. Small sample size of games and there are hall of fame coaches available
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:46 AM   #30
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Typical Francis contrarian fluff article. As mentioned above you can argue just getting Peters out of the dressing room removed the dark cloud over the team as a group of talented unshackled players are simply going play better. Now I do believe Ward deserves some credit for some of the improvement but the reality is that there was nowhere to go but up and even Gulutzan could have steered the team to an improved record. It's just really hard to ignore some of his bonehead lineup decisions, terrible in game decisions, and maybe the worst managing of netminders I have seen since Craig MacTavish. In a way settling for Geoff Ward is such a Calgary Flames and Brad Treliving move that fans probably shouldn't be surprised if it happens. There's an unprecedented amount of legit top tier NHL coaches available for hire and I am holding out hope for this organization to man up and finally start making the right decisions, not the convenient ones.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 08:36 AM   #31
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Level View Post
He did that the first time when he hired GG.

And IIRC at the time he actually go criticized for taking so long, trying to be smarter than everyone, and not just hiring one of the established names available.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:44 AM   #32
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Typical Francis contrarian fluff article. As mentioned above you can argue just getting Peters out of the dressing room removed the dark cloud over the team as a group of talented unshackled players are simply going play better. Now I do believe Ward deserves some credit for some of the improvement but the reality is that there was nowhere to go but up and even Gulutzan could have steered the team to an improved record. It's just really hard to ignore some of his bonehead lineup decisions, terrible in game decisions, and maybe the worst managing of netminders I have seen since Craig MacTavish. In a way settling for Geoff Ward is such a Calgary Flames and Brad Treliving move that fans probably shouldn't be surprised if it happens. There's an unprecedented amount of legit top tier NHL coaches available for hire and I am holding out hope for this organization to man up and finally start making the right decisions, not the convenient ones.

The problem with the bolded part is do any of those coaches want to come to Calgary? Rumours are Laviolette doesn't want to come to Canada. Another rumour is Galant ( my choice for coach) is going to Detroit.

I also think Ward should get some praise for turning the ship around. There was just as much chance that bringing in another coach, when Peters was fired, that it could have gone south. Ward did some good things and some bonehead moves also.Don't get me wrong, i want Gallant in a big way for this team. I just don't see it happening.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:43 AM   #33
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The team also rattled off a 7 game win streak as soon as Ward took over - which points to the team simply just playing hockey more than the coach having anything to do with it.. That skews the teams "overall record" since his arrival. Ward does not pass the "eye" test and at times clearly looks in over his head as one would expect for a guy with no experience at the position.

There are better options available. Ward is a great guy, but to me is very obviously better suited as an assistant coach.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 09:57 AM   #34
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I didn't come to the site at all yesterday, and when I saw this post here today, I assumed it was an April Fool's joke.
mdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mdubz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 10:17 AM   #35
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubz View Post
I didn't come to the site at all yesterday, and when I saw this post here today, I assumed it was an April Fool's joke.
Eric Francis = April Fool all year round!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:31 AM   #36
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

A two week hot streak to start his tenure really hides the fact that the Flames record has been incredibly mediocre since. Ward is Gulutzan with a little more awareness. That, frankly, is not good enough.

But if we do go with a new coaching staff, for the love of god, go with an entirely new staff. There's no reason why Gelinas and Sigalet should be immune the way they have been previously.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 10:36 AM   #37
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ownership has paid to the cap basically every year since there has been a cap. Treliving has bought out several contracts as well. So we hear about how much they spend but then at the same time we hear about how stingy they are with retaining salary on trades and hiring coaches.

With the talent pool of coaches available and this team in win now coming back with Ward is a mistake
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:53 AM   #38
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should go after Laviolette, but Ward will be the frugal option which is the Flames M.O when it comes to coaches.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 11:01 AM   #39
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

We were the second best team in the league last year. Like others have said, that 7 game winning streak was more of a firing coach bump that usually follows a coaching change.

The stats don't show how we are only playing a third to a half of a complete game every night. Peters was able to get this team going night in and night out, even if it did wear out.

I believe Wards record is a product of this team, not the teams record a product of him.

Any of Laviolette, Gallant, Boudreau would be just what this team needs. Those big names command more respect in the room from their resume. Guys buy in quicker, really believe in the systems and what they are told to do.

My opinion at least, that's all.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:19 AM   #40
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a time this would be for a software developer to make a program where you can show forward and defence positions for line rushes.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote