Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-22-2015, 12:20 PM   #141
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Because I know troutman enjoys hearing Black Panther news:

Ta-Nehisi Coates, a journalist/author who has contributed pieces to The Village Voice, Time, The Washington Post, and written two books, will be writing the new Black Panther series from Marvel. Art will be by Brian Stelfreeze. The hip hop variant cover for this book is based on Jay-Z's The Black Album.

Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2015, 07:30 AM   #142
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the guy at my comic shop has given me first rights to all his variants so I asked for a few but the one I really want is the All New All Different Avengers vintage variant:

it's a 1:100 though and there is no way he could get it. Looks amazing though!
Old 09-23-2015, 01:05 PM   #143
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everything Alex Ross does is magical.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:07 PM   #144
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Ta-Nehisi Coates, a journalist/author who has contributed pieces to The Village Voice, Time, The Washington Post, and written two books, will be writing the new Black Panther series from Marvel. Art will be by Brian Stelfreeze. The hip hop variant cover for this book is based on Jay-Z's The Black Album.
“He has the baddest costume in comics and is a dude who is smarter and better than everyone,” said Axel Alonso, the editor in chief of Marvel.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:59 PM   #145
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Marvel announced a few new ongoings to debut in 2016 today. They are: Moon Knight (Jeff Lemire and Greg Smallwood), Mockingbird (written by Chelsea Cain), X-Men '92 (Chris Sims and Chad Bowers will continue to write), The Infinity Entity (Adam Warlock and Thanos will be featured, written by Jim Starlin and art by Ron Lim), and Silver Surfer (by previous creative team Dan Slott and Mike Allred). These will start in January 2016 at the earliest.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 09-24-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:52 AM   #146
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like how Marvel is going through a whole reboot and all but I'd prefer if they spread things out more. I guess they are and the more they pump out, the more money they make but it's going to be hard to follow everything. I know I'm just getting a bunch of #1's and then I'm going to judge which ones I want to follow. They are making it hard as a lot of the new titles sound great. I have a list at my comic shop of the ones he's going to hold on for me and it's already extremely long. I know there's going to be even more that I want to follow. At least they're making it easy for people to just jump on and follow something from the beginning. It'd be really cool if they introduced a brand new hero to follow though...
Old 09-25-2015, 08:25 AM   #147
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

The #1s are being spread out over at least 4 months so far (Oct-Jan), but I hear you. It's a ton of product.

Also, my number of hip hop variants to hunt down has officially jumped from one to two. Extraordinary X-Men (previously posted), and even though it was announced last week I just saw the one for Old Man Logan coming up in January. (Hidden, large image)

Spoiler!
Old 09-25-2015, 08:40 AM   #148
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is pretty sweet. There's just too many now....it's getting out of hand lol
Old 09-25-2015, 08:43 AM   #149
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

And this is just the hip hop theme. There's the upcoming cosplay theme, the 90s theme, the Kirby monster theme -- the variants are definitely out of control.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:03 AM   #150
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly can't see myself getting too excited for the other mentioned themes, maybe a couple of the 90's ones if they're good but that's about it.

I'd love to get my hands on that Ross 1:100 avengers book though. I have all of the AvX in 1:100 and they're really nice covers.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:28 AM   #151
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Secret Wars has been a lot of fun, and the quality of the tie in books I've read has generally been very good, even if the publishing delays on the core miniseries have sucked some of the enthusiasm from the event. It's going to read as a very good series when it's done, especially for trade waiters I think. But I'm also kind of eager to see some new things happening at Marvel.

So it's great that the All-New All-Different Marvel books finally kick off this week for X-Men fans like me. The first issue of the new flagship book, Extraordinary X-Men, releases this week with that sweet, sweet, De La Soul variant cover. Also this week is the final issue of Bendis' X-Men run, Uncanny X-Men #600. So it's going to be a neat kind of bookend week in that regard. It was initially going to be an even bigger week, with both All-New X-Men and All-New Wolverine scheduled originally. But those Secret Wars publishing delays have trickled down into the entire Marvel line, and those won't be out now until later in November or December.

Invincible and Lazarus from Image continue to be really, really good. Another more indie series I've checked out lately is D4ve 2, the appropriately named sequel to the original D4ve series. D4ve is about the robot apocalypse conquering Earth, and then the galaxy -- and then becoming really complacent and lazy. D4ve, the title character, used to be this kick ass war robot that defended the planet and conquered all kinds of invaders, and now had a crappy job that he hates and a jackass son and an ex-wife he still kind of pines for. It's silly and funny, and the sequel series seems to be continuing in that vein.

What's anyone else reading or looking forward to these days?
Old 11-01-2015, 12:01 PM   #152
Milt Schmidt
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
So Secret Wars has been a lot of fun, and the quality of the tie in books I've read has generally been very good, even if the publishing delays on the core miniseries have sucked some of the enthusiasm from the event. It's going to read as a very good series when it's done, especially for trade waiters I think. But I'm also kind of eager to see some new things happening at Marvel.

So it's great that the All-New All-Different Marvel books finally kick off this week for X-Men fans like me. The first issue of the new flagship book, Extraordinary X-Men, releases this week with that sweet, sweet, De La Soul variant cover. Also this week is the final issue of Bendis' X-Men run, Uncanny X-Men #600. So it's going to be a neat kind of bookend week in that regard. It was initially going to be an even bigger week, with both All-New X-Men and All-New Wolverine scheduled originally. But those Secret Wars publishing delays have trickled down into the entire Marvel line, and those won't be out now until later in November or December.

Invincible and Lazarus from Image continue to be really, really good. Another more indie series I've checked out lately is D4ve 2, the appropriately named sequel to the original D4ve series. D4ve is about the robot apocalypse conquering Earth, and then the galaxy -- and then becoming really complacent and lazy. D4ve, the title character, used to be this kick ass war robot that defended the planet and conquered all kinds of invaders, and now had a crappy job that he hates and a jackass son and an ex-wife he still kind of pines for. It's silly and funny, and the sequel series seems to be continuing in that vein.

What's anyone else reading or looking forward to these days?
D4ve is also written by a Calgarian, Ryan Ferrier, who also wrote Curbstomp.

These days my favorites outside of Marvel/DC are Saga, East of West, Sex Criminals, and Lazarus. So many other great books out there though.

Milt
Milt Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Milt Schmidt For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2015, 12:03 PM   #153
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought there was a local connection, but I was too lazy to check. Thanks!

I tried East of West, but I kind of found it impenetrable. But Hickman is generally kind of like that for me. And I'm still way behind on Saga, when I do get down to it I'm gonna re-start from the beginning to get up to speed.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:48 PM   #154
Milt Schmidt
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

East of West can take a bit to get into for sure, and Hickman isn't for everyone.

Saga has a local connection too, the artist Fiona Staples is a Calgarian.

Milt
Milt Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:50 PM   #155
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
As I said before, I haven't really kept up with books after Way left such a sour taste in my mouth but from what I am reading, yes they are done at the conclusion of this arc.

Looks like I was wrong. While I don't know if Posehn is back, Duggan is back for the #1 of the new Deadpool on-going.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:24 PM   #156
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Google Play is offering a selection of 40 different comics all available for free for a limited time.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:59 AM   #157
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

So All-New Wolverine was my favorite #1 of the ANAD Marvel books I've picked up so far. #2 drops today, and features a sweet variant cover that homages one of the original Wolverine's most bad-ass, memorable moments (large image):

Spoiler!
Old 11-25-2015, 09:04 AM   #158
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Deadpool was kicked off again in November with issue #1, written by Gerry Duggan.

http://marvel.com/comics/issue/56065/deadpool_2015_1

A new Guardians of the Galaxy book started in October with #1:

http://marvel.com/comics/issue/55462..._galaxy_2015_1
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2015, 09:17 AM   #159
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not a Deadpool guy, but I did end up getting a #1 from my shop. The idea of Deadpool franchised out with all these different guys appearing as him was kind of interesting. I recognized Madcap from way back when he appeared in Captain America. I didn't recognize the others though.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:21 AM   #160
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Thor is a woman. Wolverine is a woman.

What's up with that?

They have big boobs. I think I answered my own question.