Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2015, 12:56 PM   #121
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Superior Iron Man went up to 9 issues by the way, so you may be missing a couple if you stopped at 7.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:02 PM   #122
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, I was just guessing. I actually went home at lunch and just looked over the covers. I'm mostly a marvel guy when it comes to actually buying comics. If I were to buy everything I wanted, I'd get most all of them. Plus, it kind of keeps the spending amount down and my wife is starting to enjoy them all more and more too.

For some reason I just can't get into the XMen stuff. I don't know why but it's just not appealing to me so I really haven't given it much of a chance. Finger, you're pretty much my comic guy on here so if you say something is 100% can't miss, I'll probably check it out.

On a side, do you know when the next Walking Dead compendium comes out? I was collecting the actual comics but I was forced to sell them all off and I'm just going to settle for reading them all at once.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:08 PM   #123
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be honest, I haven't really followed Walking Dead comics at all. I just recently got into the TV show, and as I understand it a lot of the comics have rocketed in price due to speculation. That's just not something I chase in comics these days.

A quick search suggests that a third compendium is due for October to coincide with season 6 of the TV show. According to Image's solicitation, it will cost $59.99 (USD) and collects #97-144. Issue #147 is the new issue for October, so the third compendium should get you almost right up to date.

If you decided to check out one series based on my recommendation, I hope it would be Lazarus. In addition to things I've already mentioned, it has this really detailed world building that is kind of supplemental to the main comic stories. This material is in the letters pages of the book, and is also included in ads on the back of the book. It adds some really immersive detail to a great story.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 08-21-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:45 AM   #124
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Secret Wars has added an issue, so it will now be nine issues instead of eight. #9 to release in December. This won't delay the launch of new Marvel titles planned to start in October.

http://www.newsarama.com/25681-marve...cret-wars.html
Old 08-26-2015, 09:11 PM   #125
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, the hip hop variants I've been posting are going to be very hard to come by. Marvel is being overly aggressive/stupid with order incentives that allow shops to order the variants. This is generally the practice for any of the Marvel variants, but it seems to be getting worse.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:25 AM   #126
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just curious about the Secret Wars, as it is tied into my Marval Future Fight game, but who is the female Captain America, and what's the story about that?

Thank you

LChoy
Old 08-27-2015, 08:53 AM   #127
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm way behind on my x books as I most read them in trades, well when the trades are on sale.

Anyways, I finally read Vol 1 of Amazing X-men. It felt like a 60s comic level of silliness. Did not enjoy. Even if it brought a favorite of mine back.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:57 AM   #128
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchoy View Post
Just curious about the Secret Wars, as it is tied into my Marval Future Fight game, but who is the female Captain America, and what's the story about that?

Thank you

LChoy
That might be either America Chavez or Captain America 2099. I'm not familiar with the game.

Secret Wars is basically all that's left of every version of every Marvel place or time that ever was, combined into one Battleworld planet overseen and held together by sheer force of will by a malevolent god. Check Wikipedia or marvel.wikia.com for more.
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2015, 11:03 AM   #129
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
I'm way behind on my x books as I most read them in trades, well when the trades are on sale.

Anyways, I finally read Vol 1 of Amazing X-men. It felt like a 60s comic level of silliness. Did not enjoy. Even if it brought a favorite of mine back.
That first arc of Amazing is so good. Definitely skip the rest of the series if it didn't do enough for you.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:54 PM   #130
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

So a couple of years ago I was pretty much forced to sell some of my collection because we were going through something I wouldn't wish on anyone and I sold my hulk 181 for $700. It's one of the books I was most upset about losing and I just looked at prices of them and died a little on the inside. I still want to get back to collecting older books but I don't know if I'll ever be able to afford some of the ones I was forced to sell.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:57 AM   #131
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

In Marvel news, a thinly veiled secret has been revealed to the surprise of almost no one. Amadeus Cho is the Totally Awesome Hulk post Secret Wars.

Greg Pak has had a good history with Hulk stories, so I was interested in this book long before I heard a different character was involved.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:03 AM   #132
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

They gave Hulk a fauxhawk?
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:16 AM   #133
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

So he'll be the strongest and one of the smartest? That's awesome!
Old 09-04-2015, 10:18 AM   #134
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, because the comic shop I got to is quite small, they'll be able to get any and all of the hip hop variants. The amounts they're making you purchase works in their favour because it's by %. They only ordered 10 extraordinary x men so now they only have to order 20 to get the hip hop variant. I've been told I have first crack at any of the covers I want, I'm just torn on which to get.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:26 AM   #135
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
They gave Hulk a fauxhawk?
They gave a fauxhawk a Hulk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Also, because the comic shop I got to is quite small, they'll be able to get any and all of the hip hop variants. The amounts they're making you purchase works in their favour because it's by %. They only ordered 10 extraordinary x men so now they only have to order 20 to get the hip hop variant. I've been told I have first crack at any of the covers I want, I'm just torn on which to get.
Nice, that's a pretty sweet situation. The one I really want is the Extraordinary X-Men De La Soul one, but my local shop isn't sure if it will get it. I've expressed an interest in buying that variant, so hopefully they come by it somehow.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:47 AM   #136
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really excited about the Sam Wilson one, Iron man, spiderman and possibly the xmen one too.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:18 AM   #137
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

So many of the Spider-Man ones have looked really good. If I were to get more than one of these, I would probably get the Ms. Marvel, A-Force, All-New Wolverine and Spider-Man (Miles) ones.

A refresher for what these ones look like:

Old 09-04-2015, 11:23 AM   #138
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, the more I see them the more I want them all lol. Depending on how much he charges, I'm going to get as many as I can.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:43 AM   #139
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

And while we're talking variants, apparently the December variant theme for Marvel is Marvel '92.

I don't think there needs to be a monthly theme for variants. But I guess different people will be interested in different themes. It just makes it really tough for shops and their ordering.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:16 AM   #140
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm off to Rose City Comic Con in Portland this weekend, which will hopefully be a lot of fun. There's a few creators (Kurt Busiek, Larry Hama, Erica Henderson, Ann Nocenti, Ryan Otltey, Chris Yost) I hope to meet, and my buddy is hoping to get a commission from Tim Sale, of the Marvel 'color' series, Batman: The Long Halloween, and Heroes fame.
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post: