Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2015, 05:07 AM   #1
WinnipegFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default GPS, Voice, and Performance Tracking Via Your ID Badge

I don't work in an office environment but to me this is far too invasive for an employee to be truly comfortable at work. I feel those that are happy to get this feedback are similar to those who initially think their fitbit will make them exercise more. It may be interesting at first but slowly the fad will fade, the danger lies in your willingness to share the information. I cannot conceive an office where this is being introduced to help the employee improve themselves and move forward in the company. It is simply voluntary spying.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/ho...ture-1.3196065
WinnipegFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:52 AM   #2
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

My fitbit has made me exercise significantly more. I had a force for a year and half, during which time my exercise levels were quite high. I lost it and went without a fitbit for a couple of months, during which time there was a significant drop in my activity. Then my activity went back up after I got a fitbit again.

No doubt there could be a creepy side to this, but there could also be a really positive side to it. People are more productive when they take some breaks, when they have some social engagement during the day and when they're healthy and active but many people get trapped in 'being busy' or at least seeming busy and cause both quality of life and productivity to suffer. I would think this could be a decent thing to have at more enlightened work places.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:18 AM   #3
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it would be stressful as hell. Do I go to the bathroom to often? I need to stand up and stretch my legs, will that count against me? I really want a coffee, but that could be seen as bad. Am I working right now, or just staring blankly at my monitor? Does my spouse phone me to many times a day?

No thank you.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:27 AM   #4
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Do you want to have unlocked doors around the office? Cause that's how you get unlocked doors around the office.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:28 AM   #5
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah because there's some people at the office that need to be heard even more than they already are. I'm sure we've all had classes or meetings with those people who talk simply for the sake of taking to be heard. They really add nothing or even detract but they feel like speaking up makes them look smart or are contributing. I'd love if they were being encouraged to do it more.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:01 AM   #6
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
Yeah because there's some people at the office that need to be heard even more than they already are. I'm sure we've all had classes or meetings with those people who talk simply for the sake of taking to be heard. They really add nothing or even detract but they feel like speaking up makes them look smart or are contributing. I'd love if they were being encouraged to do it more.
Over talkers would likely get feedback to talk less.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:15 AM   #7
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That sounds horrible. My experience with meetings is that those speaking the most (other than the host) does not correspond to making the meeting better. It makes meetings longer and that is about it.

If the data was used to conclude that the non-speakers don't have to attend (and not held against that person), then I would be all for it.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:09 AM   #8
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

This is something that is already becoming an issue, and very much, a legal one. I know of an ongoing lawsuit in the US over one employer's use of mandatory always-on GPS software in company provided phones. Outside of work hours, that becomes a major invasion of privacy.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:12 AM   #9
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

This, like a lot of other big data "solutions," will cause more legal trouble than it is worth.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote