Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Adam Ruzicka 0 0%
Alexander Yelesin 0 0%
Andrew Nielsen 0 0%
Artyom Zagidulin 0 0%
Carl-Johan Lerby 0 0%
Demetrios Koumontzis 0 0%
Dmitry Zavgorodniy 0 0%
Dustin Wolf 0 0%
Eetu Tuulola 2 0.70%
Filip Sveningsson 0 0%
Glenn Gawdin 0 0%
Illya Nikolaev 0 0%
Jakob Pelletier 40 13.99%
Jon Gillies 0 0%
Josh Nodler 0 0%
Justin Kirkland 0 0%
Linus Lindstrom 0 0%
Lucas Feuk 0 0%
Luke Philp 0 0%
Martin Pospisil 0 0%
Matias Emilio Pettersen 13 4.55%
Matthew Phillips 0 0%
Milos Roman 0 0%
Mitchell Mattson 0 0%
Nick Schneider 0 0%
Oliver Kylington 224 78.32%
Pavel Karnaukhov 0 0%
Rinat Valiev 0 0%
Ryan Lomberg 0 0%
Spencer Foo 0 0%
Tyler Parsons 7 2.45%
Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2019, 08:22 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Calgarypuck Prospect Ranking 2019 - Round 3

Summer time, and time for ...

Calgarypuck's 6th Annual Prospect Ranking Poll Series

Here are the last 5 years for a quick glance ...
Prospect Rankings
2013 - Results
2014 - Results
2015 - Results
2016 - Results
2017 - Results
2018 - Results

As per usual the vote is up to you. Some see it as most likely to play, some see it as highest ceiling, others see it as a mix of both.

Happy voting!

Results

1. Juuso Valimaki - 92.6% (Round 1)
2. Dillon Dube - 54.5% (Round 1)
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:25 AM   #2
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Voted for Kylington, though I suppose a case could be made for Pelletier, though I literally know nothing about him.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:27 AM   #3
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

I expect Kylington to win this handily, but I have cast my second vote for Pettersen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 08:28 AM   #4
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

IMO Kylington is the clear choice here. I'm excited for Pelletier but I'd like to see him a bit more before I put him ahead of the NHL ready guys.
BigErnSalute_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:30 AM   #5
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I expect Kylington to win this handily, but I have cast my second vote for Pettersen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm probably going to vote Pelletier in round 4 but round 5 i'll be with you on Pettersen. Like you said earlier, I just have a feeling about him. I think he's going to be really good.
BigErnSalute_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigErnSalute_16 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 08:48 AM   #6
Wingman17
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I went with Oliver here. Pettersen will get my vote next round for sure. I developed enough of a like for him I took him in my rookie draft for my fantasy keeper league.
Wingman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wingman17 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 08:53 AM   #7
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Voted for Parsons - I still think there is a starter calibre goaltender in there, and that trumps 2nd pairing D (Kylington), or 2nd line forward (Pelletier, Petterson) in terms of upside IMO
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Imported_Aussie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 09:00 AM   #8
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I voted Pelletier, after Valimaki he probably has the highest upside of our prospects, I put Dube ahead of him just because Dube is closer to realizing his upside than Pelletier.

Pelletier is quick, skilled and tenacious, there is little doubt in my mind that he will be a top 6 player on this team in the near future.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:04 AM   #9
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imported_Aussie View Post
Voted for Parsons - I still think there is a starter calibre goaltender in there, and that trumps 2nd pairing D (Kylington), or 2nd line forward (Pelletier, Petterson) in terms of upside IMO
Yeah, I am having a difficult time placing Parsons right now, and most of that comes from being really excited about so many of the Flames forward prospects. Beyond Dube, Pelletier and Pettersen I also really like Phillips and Nikolaev, and think that Zavgorodniy, Pospisil and Sveningsson are all attractive dark horses. Parsons belongs solidly within that mix—he probably should still be top-five, but it is already feeling crowded.

I think the Flames deserve a tonne of credit for their drafting and development over the past five years. This is a team with a young core that finished second in the NHL, Treliving has said they have graduated more prospects to the NHL than any other team in the past two years, and it still feels like there is a healthy number of future NHL players in the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:08 AM   #10
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This should clearly be Kylington.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:08 AM   #11
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve followed the trend so far - Valimaki, Dube, Kylington

Don’t know about #4 just yet but for me Phillips is my 5th spot
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:21 AM   #12
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kylington gets my vote for the second straight round. I'm not sure who I'll be voting next round. Either Parsons or Pelletier or Pettersen.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:22 AM   #13
Wingman17
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I guess you can add Jeremy McKenna to the list now.
Wingman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wingman17 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 10:18 AM   #14
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I went Pelletier ...

I like Kylington and hope he finds his way to a top four defenseman, but with limited size and strength and the penchant to brain fart his way into trouble I think he stays a 4/5 for his career.

Pelletier has height issues, but seems to be a lock when it comes to skill, IQ and gumption.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #15
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Petterson for me.

I don’t see any standout players in terms of skill from here on. All things being equal in terms of skills, I always love players that improve drastically from their draft year. Plus the reports say that he’s extremely coachable. To me that screams NHLer more than the other prospects.

Kylington is still a pretty good player, but considering how long he’s been a pro, there hasn’t been enough progress in his game for me to become a believer. I think his upside is limited to ‘tweener or bottom pair with some power play time.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:31 AM   #16
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Maybe I’m weird, but I always view these rankings in terms of permanent NHL-readiness.

1. Valimaki: An already NHL player with 1D potential.
2. Kylington: An already NHL player with top-4 potential.
3. Dube: An already NHL player with middle-6 potential.

To me, those three (and the order they’re in) was the easy part. Now it becomes much more difficult. Who’s the next most ready guy for a 1-way NHL ticket?

Anyway, just saying that’s how I’ve always voted in these polls. In my mind, a 1-way NHL contract is the “Stanley Cup” of any prospect, therefore ranking prospects in a system should be like ranking Cup favourites amongst NHL teams.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:37 AM   #17
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Petterson for me.

I don’t see any standout players in terms of skill from here on. All things being equal in terms of skills, I always love players that improve drastically from their draft year. Plus the reports say that he’s extremely coachable. To me that screams NHLer more than the other prospects.

Kylington is still a pretty good player, but considering how long he’s been a pro, there hasn’t been enough progress in his game for me to become a believer. I think his upside is limited to ‘tweener or bottom pair with some power play time.
I disagree with your assessment of Kylington here. You have to remember that he won't be turning 23 until May of next year.

He was playing in the AHL at 18/19 which is pretty much unheard of for a defenseman. He has steadily improved his point totals each season while gradually being given more responsibility and ice time. Last season he put up 14 points in 18 AHL games while being used in all situations before getting the call and spending the rest of the season in the NHL.

He has been on a consistent upward trajectory and actually has a pretty unique development path. There are few reasons to doubt that he will become a top 4 NHL defender.

He is basically at the exact same point development wise that Brodie was at when he was 22. He is ready to be a full time NHL player and I suspect in a few years he will be a very good one.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 10:41 AM   #18
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Maybe I’m weird, but I always view these rankings in terms of permanent NHL-readiness.

1. Valimaki: An already NHL player with 1D potential.
2. Kylington: An already NHL player with top-4 potential.
3. Dube: An already NHL player with middle-6 potential.

To me, those three (and the order they’re in) was the easy part. Now it becomes much more difficult. Who’s the next most ready guy for a 1-way NHL ticket?

Anyway, just saying that’s how I’ve always voted in these polls. In my mind, a 1-way NHL contract is the “Stanley Cup” of any prospect, therefore ranking prospects in a system should be like ranking Cup favourites amongst NHL teams.
Some people say maximum upside, some people say NHL readiness. I kind of go with "who is going to make the biggest impact in a relatively short period of time", which I suppose is a combination of the two.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:52 AM   #19
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Kylington looked pretty good at the NHL level. More physically competitive than I expected. Even had a huge hit

I do think a full year in the AHL as a #1 defenseman playing in all situations is what’s best for him this season
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #20
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kylington has developed really nicely. He is actually fairly good defensively, as he has a really good gap control already and is very elusive against forecheckers thanks to his skating and his ability to make a really good pass. Yes, he has the occasional moment where he puts himself out of position at times, but this is more 'housekeeping' in his game than a big glaring hole, as he rarely puts himself in that situation. He just needs to work on his strength some more as it will help him out in the corners and in front of the net. He has high upside.

I am torn between Pelletier and Parsons next. Pettersen is right there for me as well.

Pelletier is so safe - unless he gets some injury or something goes off the rails for him, you can bet that he will be in the NHL at least on the third line. I think he has top-line winger potential, and perhaps even top 6 centre potential (I remember reading that he might be transitioning back to centre this upcoming season). Puts up a pile of points while being defensively sound, and has a non-stop motor that just won't quit on you. High character kid too.

Parsons has been somewhat forgotten due to his injury plagued season - bad overall season. However, even through that season he has had moments where his potential really shone. He won a Memorial Cup on a really good team. What about the following year when that team had a bunch of graduates? He took that team on his back and took that team kicking and screaming into a 2nd round game 7. He had to make 50+ saves some nights IIRC. He has elite potential. Not just starter potential, but elite starter potential. You never know with goalies, but this kid's potential is sky high.

Pettersen is just so damn slick and smart. He might have the highest offensive ceiling organizationally, and though he is small, he is really strong on his skates. This upcoming season might turn a lot more heads than last season (where he turned a lot of NHL exec's heads as they apparently tried to pry him away from the Flames).

Pelletier is the safest choice out of the bunch, and will probably vote that way tomorrow, but it is close for me. I am that high on Parsons, and Pettersen is just screaming for some well-deserved attention.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote