Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Adam Ruzicka 6 2.94%
Alexander Yelesin 20 9.80%
Andrew Nielsen 0 0%
Artyom Zagidulin 8 3.92%
Carl-Johan Lerby 0 0%
Demetrios Koumontzis 24 11.76%
Dmitry Zavgorodniy 61 29.90%
Dustin Wolf 4 1.96%
Eetu Tuulola 5 2.45%
Filip Sveningsson 22 10.78%
Glenn Gawdin 13 6.37%
Jeremy McKenna 2 0.98%
Jon Gillies 25 12.25%
Josh Nodler 0 0%
Justin Kirkland 0 0%
Linus Lindstrom 0 0%
Lucas Feuk 1 0.49%
Luke Philp 1 0.49%
Milos Roman 3 1.47%
Mitchell Mattson 0 0%
Nick Schneider 1 0.49%
Pavel Karnaukhov 0 0%
Rinat Valiev 3 1.47%
Ryan Lomberg 5 2.45%
Spencer Foo 0 0%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2019, 03:41 PM   #41
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK flame View Post
I've been with you for a couple and am.sticking with him!
Every year these prospect rankings remind me that CP needs a shiny new toy icon!
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:52 PM   #42
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan, Ph.D. View Post
Every year these prospect rankings remind me that CP needs a shiny new toy icon!
It's funny you say that, because Tuulola was the "shiny new toy" who suckered me, along with a whole lot of people, into taking him way too high in the 2016 rankings.

For me, Tuulola needs to show a really good rookie season in Stockton before he makes my top-15. His numbers over in Finland are just okay, and I'm not convinced about his skating. Also, he doesn't use his size enough to be considered a true physical presence. Pospisil seems to have passed him already in every way.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:52 PM   #43
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan, Ph.D. View Post
Gonna be really lonely voting for Tuulola for the next 20 rounds...
He's been on my radar for a few rounds now, I'll be voting for him soon
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:08 PM   #44
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
It's funny you say that, because Tuulola was the "shiny new toy" who suckered me, along with a whole lot of people, into taking him way too high in the 2016 rankings.

For me, Tuulola needs to show a really good rookie season in Stockton before he makes my top-15. His numbers over in Finland are just okay, and I'm not convinced about his skating. Also, he doesn't use his size enough to be considered a true physical presence. Pospisil seems to have passed him already in every way.
Hes still top 15. Dude has "it". The jam, the desire. Maybe his feet cannot keep up to everything else he has, but he is a good hockey player. His first AHL year will be interesting to track. If they use him on the PP properly, that;; answer a bunch of doubts.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:11 PM   #45
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Hes still top 15. Dude has "it". The jam, the desire. Maybe his feet cannot keep up to everything else he has, but he is a good hockey player. His first AHL year will be interesting to track. If they use him on the PP properly, that;; answer a bunch of doubts.
I dunno. For me, Sveningsson, Gawdin, Zagidulin, Koumontzis, Lerby, and maybe Yelesin and Feuk are solidly ahead. All Tuulola needs to do is put up 35-40 points in his first AHL year though and he skyrockets up.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:15 PM   #46
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I dunno. For me, Sveningsson, Gawdin, Zagidulin, Koumontzis, Lerby, and maybe Yelesin and Feuk are solidly ahead. All Tuulola needs to do is put up 35-40 points in his first AHL year though and he skyrockets up.
Hey its a vote. But you can easily say the same thing about 5 of those players. How you have Zags over Gillies is a bit weird too. I like the Russian additions but I know nothing about them to pole vault them over many prospects. Except for Zav, I voted for him this round. Hes good. Too bad we didnt get that reminder in prospect camp. But main camp will be fun.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:19 PM   #47
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zavgorodny for me. Elite hands, elite IQ, works hard and is defensively good. He did not play with Lafreniere much IIRC, so it wasn't like he was padding his stats. His production did slow down some last season, but there is no denying his talent level.

Next up is Sveningsson. Quick forward with strong IQ, great shot, and also defensively sound. Plus playing in a higher league and having a strong season bodes well for him.

Yelesin is probably the next guy for me there. Seems like a 'can do everything well' type of a defencemen, including being able to play a hard-nosed game.

Feuk is probably right after Yelesin. Fast and skilled.

Gillies slides in here for me next.

Not sure where to put Koumontzis. Foo had a better freshman season, and he developed into a top talent in the NCAA. I would have liked to see better numbers out of him so that I can place him ahead of anyone on this list.

Schneider might be the next prospect after Gillies. In fact, I might pick him ahead of Gillies. Schneider has consistently exceeded expectations. I still want to see a full season of AHL time for him splitting starts with someone, but I don't think that's going to happen this year. Just when you think he isn't that great of a goalie prospect, he goes out and has himself a nice run of games.

As for Ruzicka, he has plummeted down my list. He is practically dead to me. Yes, he had a good season last year - especially after being traded. Motivation seems to be an issue for him, and I find a lack of drive to be the death-knell to NHL hopes. If Stockton can find a way to keep him motivated all season, he is going to explode up the charts for me. He has EVERYTHING you hope for in a prospect - skating, size, IQ, the hands, the shot, the playmaking ability - but he lacks that drive (or at least, he seems to). None of those tantalizing strengths matter at all if a player just isn't interested in working hard. Hopefully he proves me wrong, as I otherwise love him as a prospect. Having a tough time figuring out where to slot him in, but I don't think it matters much as I am sure he will be voted-in before i select him.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 04:21 PM   #48
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Hey its a vote. But you can easily say the same thing about 5 of those players. How you have Zags over Gillies is a bit weird too. I like the Russian additions but I know nothing about them to pole vault them over many prospects. Except for Zav, I voted for him this round. Hes good. Too bad we didnt get that reminder in prospect camp. But main camp will be fun.
I have Zagidulin high for a few reasons:

- Gillies was very bad at every level last year (edit: forgot he didn't play in the NHL last year, so I guess he was just bad at one level. point still stands)
- Zagidulin is two years younger than Gillies
- Zagidulin has a career .926 save-percentage in the KHL, which is a better league than the AHL
- Zagidulin was easily the best goalie at rookie camp (as he should've been)

Last edited by TheScorpion; 07-17-2019 at 04:36 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 04:33 PM   #49
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta agree with Scorp about Zagidullin-I was extatic when i heard we picked him up. There was a lot of buzz about him coming over to NA, and Tre won the sweepstakes. He's a bit raw, but he has the tools and talent to be a big league goalie, and as Scorp said-he had a great showing at rookie camp.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:24 AM   #50
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Dmitry Zavgorodniy
Started the year on fire giving unrealistic hope and ended the year the opposite giving unrealistic doubt. In the end, over the course of a better season-long sample, what we saw is likely an accurate representation with a couple notes. While his counting stats may leave a bit to be desired, there are two reasons for optimism. First, he's settled in as a left-winger but the unfortunate result of that is being permanently assigned to the 2/3-LW due to trending future superstar Alexis Lafreniere obviously holding down 1-LW. Second, he's a very late birth being just a month away from the 2019 draft. Unfortunately barring a trade he will be back on the 2nd line, with the lower quality teammates and less icetime that comes with it, for another season.

Ceiling: 2B/3A W
Probable: Tweener then KHL
Floor: Bust straight to KHL

Also in consideration
Adam Ruzicka
He's big, he has decent hands and offensively ability, he is decent in his own end...but his attitude and commitment are concerns. He isn't always engaged and is easily rattled and knocked off his game, and when that happens he looks like a beer league player during a 10:45 PM weekday game going through the motions to get home ASAP. But when he is on he can drive a line and contribute at both ends of the ice. 32 even-strength goals in 65 games is impressive as is generating over 3.5 shots per game, while also having decent vision. Excellent in the dot, too. If he can get the mental side figured out he has a good shot at making it. If not, he'll be saying "what if" when he looks back on things later in life.

Ceiling: 2nd line C
Probable: 4A C
Floor: Outright bust

Jeremy McKenna
One dimensional goal scorer but scoring goals is the most difficult skill in hockey. Excellent at getting open and finding gaps in coverage which allows him to get his hard and accurate shot off. Also terrific on the powerplay. But, his defensive shortcomings significantly reduce his probability of success. Hockey is full of junior snipers who didn't pan out, but there are a few who have turned into mighty good scorers. Over 5 shots per game is insane.

Ceiling: 2nd line W
Probable: Tweener
Floor: Outright bust

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:50 AM   #51
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post

Not sure where to put Koumontzis. Foo had a better freshman season, and he developed into a top talent in the NCAA. I would have liked to see better numbers out of him so that I can place him ahead of anyone on this list.
Koumontzis was an 18 year old last year. While Foo has a marginally better freshman season, that was his 20 year old year. When Foo was 18 he was playing in Bonnyille in the AJHL and was putting up fewer points per game than Koumontzis did in Division One NCAA hockey.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote