Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-26-2017, 04:47 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default Russian banned for doping by IIHF could be coming to NHL

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/r...doping-appeal/

Quote:
In July, 36-year-old Russian forward Danis Zaripov was suspended two years by the International Ice Hockey Federation. According to a KHL media release, Zaripov’s samples “contained banned stimulants plus substances prohibited as diuretics and masking agents.”

At the time, Zaripov swore to appeal. “I’m shocked,” he told Reuters news agency. “There’s nothing else to say.”

Since then, he’s begun the process. Part of that is an attempt to become eligible to play in the NHL, and, according to a couple of sources, clarity is expected early next week. A couple teams indicated they expect he will be available.

There are still questions regarding the winger’s plans for the upcoming season. His agent, Dan Milstein, declined to comment until after any official announcement.

The KHL club Ak Bars Kazan voided Zaripov’s deal, which means he has no contractual commitments. There will be some NHL interest, with the Vegas Golden Knights and New York Rangers among those expected to pursue.
Interesting that it sounds like the NHL is considering allowing him to play. I believe a reason it is being looked at is that the masking agent he got banned for is not illegal by the NHL/NHLPA banned list but it is on WADA list.

IIRC the masking agent he got caught for was also the same one that got Backstrom banned from the 2014 Olympic gold medal game. However Backstrom didn't have all the diuretics in his system.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:50 PM   #2
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

He kinda looks like Datsyuk's long lost brother...

Spoiler!
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2017, 07:04 PM   #3
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

36 years old? I was also assuming his neck and head would be a lot thicker/bigger.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:21 PM   #4
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm surprised NHL teams would be interested in a 36 year KHL player that has never played in the NHL.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:04 PM   #5
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Dude would be the fourth-oldest rookie in NHL history. Most hail back to the 1967 expansion and/or WHA talent dilution.

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 08-26-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote