Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2024, 09:28 PM   #61
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
So you don't think they are one of the worst offenders in the league for diving and otherwise faking injury or reacting in such a way as to draw penalties?

Come on now. The move where McDiver holds the defenders stick close to his body then acts like he's getting hooked is Oscar worthy. And he does it constantly.
Short answer is no.

Longer answer is there is no way for us to settle this definitively. Our own biases are going to cloud it. I do not think the Oilers are in any way at the worst end of this scale, neither are the Flames. Look to Canucks and Avs in my opinion. The only number we could possibly look to is number of power plays awarded and the oilers sit in 18th for that at 236. So if they are diving a lot the refs aren’t buying it or they are bad at it, but it’s hard to say they are being rewarded for it.

As for Mcdavid, yeah he does grab on that stick when he feels it getting dug into him. I’m super surprised it gets called to be honest. That said, and you won’t like this part, is if you iso in him he gets hooked, obstructed and grabbed a lot, more than most. Which makes sense, but I’d say the refs miss more than they get with him. But I imagine we will need to agree to disagree on that.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 09:36 PM   #62
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Fair assessment and definitely not really quantifiable. But as McTavish said, they are visually better a diving.

I don't think McDiver gets hooked, etc more than any other superstar in the league. I do think his ability to a flail around like he's taken a round to the gut at even the slightest touch, is top notch though.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 09:45 PM   #63
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
Fair assessment and definitely not really quantifiable. But as McTavish said, they are visually better a diving.

I don't think McDiver gets hooked, etc more than any other superstar in the league. I do think his ability to a flail around like he's taken a round to the gut at even the slightest touch, is top notch though.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk
Again hard to say, he’s 7th overall for penalties drawn, but given his game it’s not that much of a surprise that he’d be up there. Holds the puck a lot, rushes it a lot, one would think he draws a lot. Still a pretty subjective analysis no matter which side you want to argue.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote