Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-07-2018, 10:28 PM   #161
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

My kid's hockey association has really dropped the ball so far with evaluation schedules. Tuesday, Wednesday and tonight were technical skates so that they could put together the evaulation teams for the first game. They obviously couldn't put together teams until the final technical skate was done tonight unfortunately tomorrow is game 1. The first game is scheduled for 7:15am. It is 9:30 now and they haven't released teams and ice times yet. I am going to be super pissed if I have to be at the rink for 7:15 on short notice.

I understand that it is run by volunteers and ice time is limited but someone should have realized that their schedule was far from optimal for the first games.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:08 PM   #162
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Likely mentioned before, probably by me at some point in these threads, but people who do a slow creep at a red light grind my gears. Don't stop a car length behind the vehicle ahead of you and inch closer every ten seconds. Isn't it easier to just stop and hold your foot solidly on the brake pedal?

Also I hate when I'm trying to turn right at a red and the jackass in the left lane inches forward every time I inch forward. I'm not trying to race I just want to move ahead a bit so that I can see around your lifted F250 to find a gap in traffic.
And worse, the Jackhole who stops a car length or more before the stop line. Especially in a turning lane. Way to clog it all up for everyone Jackholes. Every single driver who leaves a full length + of space before a stop line or behind other cars are the worst kind of selfish stupid people. You stop when the top half of the rear tires of the vehicle ahead of you are just barely visible at your hood line. And the rage I get in a drive through with these same kind of people.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2018, 11:40 PM   #163
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

The worst for sure are the strugglers who stop 5 car lengths back and inch forward at 1kph for the next 15 seconds. Then I’m left to do the same, which is infuriating, or not move and thus become the dbag with a 5 car length gap to the car in front.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2018, 11:52 PM   #164
Flamesfan74
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
My kid's hockey association has really dropped the ball so far with evaluation schedules. Tuesday, Wednesday and tonight were technical skates so that they could put together the evaulation teams for the first game. They obviously couldn't put together teams until the final technical skate was done tonight unfortunately tomorrow is game 1. The first game is scheduled for 7:15am. It is 9:30 now and they haven't released teams and ice times yet. I am going to be super pissed if I have to be at the rink for 7:15 on short notice.

I understand that it is run by volunteers and ice time is limited but someone should have realized that their schedule was far from optimal for the first games.
My son’s association skate started Tuesday as well and have been going since. We just got his placement for the evaluation games this weekend just an hour ago. Thankfully he placed well enough that he doesn’t have to get up early.
Flamesfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:38 AM   #165
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
The worst for sure are the strugglers who stop 5 car lengths back and inch forward at 1kph for the next 15 seconds. Then I’m left to do the same, which is infuriating, or not move and thus become the dbag with a 5 car length gap to the car in front.

my wife did this and it drove me nuts. i let her know how felt about it one day and i know she didn't really appreciate it... however, she no longer does that!
Old 09-08-2018, 12:45 AM   #166
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know it’s been said many times in this thread but, Cancer really grinds my f***ing gears. The world lost a great Mom and Grandma today.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to calgarybornnraised For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2018, 09:48 AM   #167
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan74 View Post
My son’s association skate started Tuesday as well and have been going since. We just got his placement for the evaluation games this weekend just an hour ago. Thankfully he placed well enough that he doesn’t have to get up early.
Our association does it the opposite way. I keep waiting for them to change it but they never do. The better kids get the early ice time and the worse kids get the later ice time. The Atom 1/2 kids are on at 7:15am and the 6/7, or whatever the lowest divisions are, is at 1:30pm.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 02:00 PM   #168
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was neighbourhood cleanup day today, so I loaded up some junk and drove to the community centre. The guy in front of me in line had stacked the cab of his truck 6 ft high with reno waste. Looked like there was a back deck, a bathroom, and the better part of a kitchen stacked in there. Took 15 minutes for all the volunteers to empty it into the garbage truck, while a dozen cars waited behind. Then the garbage truck was full and had to leave. What a ####ing jackwad.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2018, 02:32 PM   #169
InglewoodFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It was neighbourhood cleanup day today, so I loaded up some junk and drove to the community centre. The guy in front of me in line had stacked the cab of his truck 6 ft high with reno waste. Looked like there was a back deck, a bathroom, and the better part of a kitchen stacked in there. Took 15 minutes for all the volunteers to empty it into the garbage truck, while a dozen cars waited behind. Then the garbage truck was full and had to leave. What a ####ing jackwad.
What an ultra **ck. Our cleanup is next weekend and I just got back from U-hauling 800 lbs of crap to the dump because I didn't want to be that guy.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2018, 06:07 PM   #170
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
my wife did this and it drove me nuts. i let her know how felt about it one day and i know she didn't really appreciate it... however, she no longer does that!
You're a brave man, chris
Old 09-08-2018, 06:29 PM   #171
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've found there is a mad rush at the cleanups at the start, and by 12:00 it is empty, and easy to make several runs. Mine is tomorrow, so I'll be letting the chaos clear out before I head over. Then I'll be that guy with a load of crap, but won't be holding anyone up.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2018, 10:18 PM   #172
Flamesfan74
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Our association does it the opposite way. I keep waiting for them to change it but they never do. The better kids get the early ice time and the worse kids get the later ice time. The Atom 1/2 kids are on at 7:15am and the 6/7, or whatever the lowest divisions are, is at 1:30pm.
Thanks crazy. The higher divs. should be the later ice times for sure.
Flamesfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:50 AM   #173
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I've found there is a mad rush at the cleanups at the start, and by 12:00 it is empty, and easy to make several runs. Mine is tomorrow, so I'll be letting the chaos clear out before I head over. Then I'll be that guy with a load of crap, but won't be holding anyone up.
I'd love to see you haul all of your junk on your bike.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2018, 08:57 AM   #174
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan74 View Post
Thanks crazy. The higher divs. should be the later ice times for sure.
Why? Like really... why?

Besides it not making a difference... as someone who coaches and does evaluations I say “you want the top team? Earn that ####”
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2018, 11:23 AM   #175
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I'll admit... guilty, sort of. If I'm coming to a red light that may turn green shortly, I often downshift and come in pretty slowly such that I don't have to stop if it turns green and the car in front moves before I get there.

I don't get the annoyance with the guy who stops short of the line or leaves a large space at a light. I can see it being an issue if traffic is so backed up that it leaves someone stranded at another red light a block behind you. I can see it if you're blocking a turning lane that someone behind you might otherwise be able to get into. But those situations aside, why does that bug people (apparently) so much? Or is it just those situations? That one I'm not guilty of but it doesn't bother me; traffic's just going to do what it does either way, once the light turns.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2018, 11:45 AM   #176
sa226
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think its mainly because, after a certain distance from the stop line, the sensors can't detect the presence of a vehicle at the light. Thus screwing up the sequence and making you wait longer.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2018, 11:46 AM   #177
Amethyst
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When I took driver's ed, way back in the day, I was taught that you should be able to see the tires on the car in front touching the pavement, to give yourself room to maneuver if there is a problem.

When I'm stopped in traffic, I will move up closer, if other cars are trying to clear an intersection or get into a turning lane. However, some people stop closer to me than I get to the car behind when I'm parallel parking and those ones always concern me, because if their judgement is off even a little, they are rear-ending me and I don't want to deal with that.
Amethyst is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2018, 12:00 PM   #178
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I'll admit... guilty, sort of. If I'm coming to a red light that may turn green shortly, I often downshift and come in pretty slowly such that I don't have to stop if it turns green and the car in front moves before I get there.

I don't get the annoyance with the guy who stops short of the line or leaves a large space at a light. I can see it being an issue if traffic is so backed up that it leaves someone stranded at another red light a block behind you. I can see it if you're blocking a turning lane that someone behind you might otherwise be able to get into. But those situations aside, why does that bug people (apparently) so much? Or is it just those situations? That one I'm not guilty of but it doesn't bother me; traffic's just going to do what it does either way, once the light turns.

i think what Cecil was getting at is when you are coming to a red light and traffic is already stopped ahead of you and the guy in front of you 'stops' and leaves a ridiculous gap in front of their vehicle - so you stop. they then proceed to crawl forward the 5 car lengths they left to the car in front of them, making it look like you are the guilty party.

what ticked me off the other day was this guy riding my butt - like hard core on me. we're driving on a 4 lane road (a rarity in kelowna) and i'm in the 'fast' lane. the problem was the guy in front of me felt the need to go 10 under the limit - so all i can do was follow him (although i do think if you are going 10 under in the fast lane, the guy behind you should be allowed to give you a little 'bump for motivation' free of consequence). of course the people in the slow lane are also going 10 under the limit, essentially making a rolling road block.

the guy in front of me eventually turned left, however, instead of staying "at speed" he starts slowing down even more well before the left turn lane (which is pretty long and gives tons of time to slow down). of course the guy riding my butt just about rear ends me, then swerves into the slow lane and passes me and fingers me (becuz i've had to slow down so much becuz of the loser in front of me). my daughter then pipes up from the back seat, "daddy, why is that guy 'waving' at you?" ...well honey, he just wanted to say 'hi' i guess. we go down the road a little farther and there is a red light up ahead. mr. tailgater is still in the right lane and i'm still in the left. the great thing was the line up in my lane was pretty short, so as i slowly passed mr. tailgater i looked right at him, gave him a big smile and a slow wave. my daughter then piped up, "that's nice that you were able to wave and say 'hi' back daddy!" ha! ha! (and for the record, i did wave, i did not give the guy the finger.)

i guess what really got me was 3 things...
1 - idiot driving 10 under in the fast lane
2 - idiot tailgating me then giving me the finger becuz of '1'
3 - me trying to think up a good excuse to give my daughter becuz of the actions of the idiot tailgater.

if you took the slow guy out of the equation and it was me being the slow guy in the fast lane - absolutely - let me have it for being a goof, but otherwise, chill out.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:12 PM   #179
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

For me it’s just getting blocked from turning or getting into the turning lane. It’s also not necessarily just one person, but like 4 cars that all leave more of a gap and it blocks access to the turning lanes. Sometimes the guy directly in front will notice you want to squeeze into the right turning lane and will try to move up a bit, but usually it doesn’t help.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:22 PM   #180
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I'll add to this today...guy showed up with a 24 passenger bus filled with ####. I have no idea how long he was there before me, but he left about 15 minutes after I arrived. Then 3 other people entered the back way, ignoring the signal person and cut in line. One of them was some old guy who had 5 pieces of panelboard or something in his trunk that were 3 feet long. That was it! WTF are you doing here, toss it in your bin.

Another women showed up in a truck filled with branches, but was apparently incapable of backing up, so pulled in forward to the garbage truck. The workers were having no part of that, so she had to wait 5 minutes to have a runway area of space to actually attempt the backup maneuver, which did not go well. I'm pretty sure societal breakdown is coming very soon if this is the calibre of people we have out there.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote