Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-10-2018, 11:53 AM   #221
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Don’t you have a neighbour who will move your bin for you when you’re away?
Yes, they would, the only problem is I have to remember to tell them, which I don't.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:56 AM   #222
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I would. Why are people even looking in other peoples' bins? They're not yours. You have bins. Put your stuff in those bins, and only those bins. Have too much stuff? Wait until next week. Still have too much stuff? Wait until neighbourhood cleanup day. Have too much for that? Guess you're making a trip to the dump. This is basic civility stuff.
I'm lucky in that there's a neighbour across the alley who never uses his bins. Too much recycling? Take it across the alley. There's never anything in them. I don't know if the guy died or what's going on there. We haven't seen anyone outside in over a year.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:01 PM   #223
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
I'm lucky in that there's a neighbour across the alley who never uses his bins. Too much recycling? Take it across the alley. There's never anything in them. I don't know if the guy died or what's going on there. We haven't seen anyone outside in over a year.
Uh, maybe time for a police welfare check?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 12:02 PM   #224
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
We got a notice on our bin because of a few tiles and pieces of wood. We just had someone renovate our kitchen island.

Now, in fairness they were not in a bag, it was loose garbage, but we didnt think the contractor was just going to throw the stuff in our Bin, we kind of figured they had their own resources for getting rid of construction waste but the City had other ideas apparently.
I’ve put minor reno junk into my black bin every week back when pickup was weekly) for a period of three months or more. I had black bins loaded 3/4 full of brick that probably weighed 3-400 pounds.

I never had anything in bags.

I never got a notice.

Maybe it’s just up to the driver?
Old 09-10-2018, 12:11 PM   #225
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
And screw up the sweet, sweet extra bin scheme he’s got going? Don’t be daft.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 12:16 PM   #226
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There's activity in the house. He's a very large man who doesn't leave very often. I see the lights come on and shadows moving past the windows. The blinds have never been open in this house for the 12 years I've lived across the alley from them. There was another guy who used to BBQ on the deck once in awhile but he was taken out by the coroner 3 years ago.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:36 PM   #227
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #228
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Staying with the bins theme.

We are getting the kids to put them out.

Last Friday the kids put the green and blue to close together.

We got home and the bins hadn’t been picked up.

What GMG’s is the driver stopped, filled out a card to say he wasn’t emptying them because they were too close. Got out of the vehicle and put this on one of the bins.

I get it, the bins were too close. Fill out the card to let us know, but take and extra 3 mins to move them apart and empty them.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 01:13 PM   #229
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

What GMG’s is the driver stopped, filled out a card to say he wasn’t emptying them because they were too close. Got out of the vehicle and put this on one of the bins.

I get it, the bins were too close. Fill out the card to let us know, but take and extra 3 mins to move them apart and empty them.
He took 10 seconds to slap the sticker on there so you know for next time. If the operator did what you're suggesting every time he/she could end up with an extra hour getting the job done plus the notice would have a high chance of being disregarded because the recycling and compost were picked up anyways. No, you will remember having to carry an extra weeks worth of compost much more vividly.

(That's how we do this, eh?)
Old 09-10-2018, 01:29 PM   #230
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

reading the above stuff really makes me thankful/appreciative of the neighbours i have

i'm outside a bunch (messing around on my truck, doing yard work, building something for the house) so there is always opportunity to chat with my neighbours and build a good relationship with them.

the family right beside us is great. the dad is into smoking meat so whenever either of us do something on our smokers a 'sample platter' goes next door!

with other neighbours tools are regularly borrowed and watching houses when people are out of town happens a lot

stuff like that sure makes for a great neighbourhood
Old 09-10-2018, 01:31 PM   #231
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

Its a Union gig, he probably got a few laughs and free beers afterwards.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:58 PM   #232
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
We have a shared garbage shed thing in our townhouse area and people are ridiculous with that too. They had to install security cameras finally because someone went in and dropped off like three mattresses and a kitchen table and chairs right in the middle of it, blocking off the actual dumpsters. There's been TV's looking around, large containers of unknown substance (maybe some sort of old cooking oil or chew? Transparent container, wasn't going to open it to check), old baby stuff, furniture, smaller electronics, etc.

So now if someone does something stupid, they have it on camera and send them a bill for special pick-ups and cleaning procedures.

The weirdest part about people in Condos/Townhouses leaving their large items just sitting in front of the garbage bin is that in 99% of the cases, the waste collectors don't care what you put in there. They just dump that baby into the back of the truck. And yet, without fail, some idiot will leave his futon, computer desk, tv stand etc sitting in front of the garbage bins.
If you're going to go thru all the effort to bring it down there, why would you just leave it sitting there? Throw the goddamn thin in the bin.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:31 PM   #233
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

this reminds me, years ago, I helped a girl move from one place to another. She was moving from a low rise apartment block. She had a bunch of furniture stuff, she was throwing out. I told her she had to take it to the dump but she said to drop it off at the garbage bins. Sure enough, it was all gone by the next day.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:46 PM   #234
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

My parents and their neighbours have a great little system with their bins. They share capacity when needed, especially when one of them is on vacation. Those left behind make sure that the bins are wheeled in and out of their yards for pickup.

I once disposed of an entire toilet in my black bin. It required a bit of smashing, but it disappeared that Tuesday as expected.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:46 PM   #235
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
this reminds me, years ago, I helped a girl move from one place to another. She was moving from a low rise apartment block. She had a bunch of furniture stuff, she was throwing out. I told her she had to take it to the dump but she said to drop it off at the garbage bins. Sure enough, it was all gone by the next day.
That practice is known as "freecycling", and Calgary is pretty good about it, too.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:03 PM   #236
Jason14h
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I would. Why are people even looking in other peoples' bins? They're not yours. You have bins. Put your stuff in those bins, and only those bins. Have too much stuff? Wait until next week. Still have too much stuff? Wait until neighbourhood cleanup day. Have too much for that? Guess you're making a trip to the dump. This is basic civility stuff.

Civility? Slightly dramatic

I often have extra broken down boxes from shipping. Once the blue bin is full, I leave them in a pile. On the morning of Bin day, I grab the extra broke down boxes and stick them into one of the empty bins on my left or right.

Once the Bins are on the road they are not even yours. I can technically dig through it if I wanted. Now I would not, nor would I ever consider putting anything in the bin while on your property. But once it's outside waiting for pickup? In goes my extra cardboard the odd week when I need it!
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:03 PM   #237
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
My parents and their neighbours have a great little system with their bins. They share capacity when needed, especially when one of them is on vacation. Those left behind make sure that the bins are wheeled in and out of their yards for pickup.

I once disposed of an entire toilet in my black bin. It required a bit of smashing, but it disappeared that Tuesday as expected.
I disposed with three toilets the same way when I replaced mine with low flow. Just smash them into manageable pieces and spread the disposal over a few garbage cycles and presto.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:22 PM   #238
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as we're doing bin gear grinders, I live in a cul de sac and all my neighbours park illegally nosed in with just front wheels against the curb. The family across from me has a few teenage kids so they have about 7 cars just for the one house. (They also never park on their driveway or in the garage, but that's a different gear grinder)

There's no houses at the dead end side of the cul de sac so there's plenty of street parking, so it's only an issue on bin days. Because of the cars parked like that, the trucks have a hell of a time reaching the bins when they're against the curb. The blue bin driver always gets out, pulls the bin to where the arm can reach it properly, dumps it, gets back out and puts it back against the curb. But the black bin driver will either skip it if the truck can't reach, or if they're feeling generous he'll grab it to where the arm can reach, but then leave it right in the middle of the street after.

Not a big deal but still, it rgmg
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:28 PM   #239
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
He took 10 seconds to slap the sticker on there so you know for next time. If the operator did what you're suggesting every time he/she could end up with an extra hour getting the job done plus the notice would have a high chance of being disregarded because the recycling and compost were picked up anyways. No, you will remember having to carry an extra weeks worth of compost much more vividly.

(That's how we do this, eh?)
My garbage guy is exactly like UCB's - a lazy, whiny little biatch. Sorry conditions aren't ideal in your job every stop you go to - you still have to do it. Your job is taking garbage from that little bin and putting it in the big bin. If it takes an hour longer than is ideal, that's that. It's absolutely because it a union gig, too. Private sector people can't get away with "that's not my job" - that's something only union people think is reasonable.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:38 PM   #240
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My garbage guy is exactly like UCB's - a lazy, whiny little biatch. Sorry conditions aren't ideal in your job every stop you go to - you still have to do it. Your job is taking garbage from that little bin and putting it in the big bin. If it takes an hour longer than is ideal, that's that. It's absolutely because it a union gig, too. Private sector people can't get away with "that's not my job" - that's something only union people think is reasonable.
Private sector garbage drivers are absolute maniacs. I never realized it until I worked nights awhile back. I guess when they're done their route theyre done for the day, no matter how long it takes. So the result is they do 80, everywhere. Residential streets, parking lots, alleys, roads, always completely floored. Pretty comical at first until you almost get hit by one for the 8th time in a night.

To their credit though, I've never seen or heard of one not doing their job because it was slightly more difficult for a minute. Definitely a CoC thing
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote