Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2024, 02:49 PM   #701
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
A day later and it's just so hard to understand the Falcons pick. Reaching is fine if you have conviction but in their QB situation?

Congrats on creating a year long distraction for your team. Although maybe it won't be a distraction iof Penix isn't that good, which is entirely possible.
It’s the least confusing pick of the draft.

Cousins is old and coming off an Achilles injury. He wasn’t fast before. He’s at most a two year starter.

More teams should do this.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 02:59 PM   #702
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you trolling?

They just signed that old QB that tore his Achilles to a 100 million dollar guaranteed contract.

They are not just going to toss him to the side. Pretty much wasting a rookie scale contract.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 03:26 PM   #703
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

This isn't the Alex Smith KC situation, that's for sure.

I do agree that a one year mentorship would benefit a ton of young QBs, but 4 is a waste of time & cap.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 03:41 PM   #704
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
It’s the least confusing pick of the draft.

Cousins is old and coming off an Achilles injury. He wasn’t fast before. He’s at most a two year starter.

More teams should do this.
If you get the player in the right draft slot it works.

The Chiefs thought Mahomes was this good so they did it and pulled it off. But they were mocked pretty hard at the time. Although it's plausible that if they didn't move up to take him there another team might have grabbed him around that spot. They also had the vet in place and knowing their scheme and were a Division winner who had been a 2 seed.

Packers used later firsts on guys again with older vets who knew the system.

In this case it's a new QB and a top 8 pick. I don't know how other teams saw things, but either trading back or using that pick on another position and than coming up from their 2nd might have been a better move.

I'm not sure if Pennix was
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 03:48 PM   #705
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
When he signed in Atlanta he sounded like a guy that was ready to put roots down, and play for a bit.

Why would you give someone 4 years and 180 million on to turn around and draft his successor a month later. If they cut Kirk next season that is 40 million in dead cap space.

Not only that, in those quotes the Gm is saying its ok for him to sit for 4-5 years. So you're going to waste the rookie contract having him sit, and make him a starter when he is 30?

Truly is a WTF are you doing scenario playing out in Atlanta.
Kirk Cousins hasn’t made $250M by not knowing how the game is played. Saying nice things about the city and putting down roots - it would be weird if he didn’t say it after signing a $130M deal.

He’s going to be 36 coming off an Achilles tear.

Penix is 23. He may start as early as this year - he may not. He may start when he’s 25. Maybe he has to wait until he’s 26 because Kirk stays healthy. And if he does that and then starts for them for 10 years, he’s as old as Cousins is now, and might even have some gas in the tank.

He’s not sitting for seven years.

If they have to cut/trade Kirk, so be it - the rookie savings come into play then, and with a guy who’s already been on the roster and in the system.

So many QBs fail because they aren’t given enough time. They’re thrown into the fire and made to salvage a terrible situation with a bad organization.

The Chargers let Rivers sit for two years behind Brees (while paying him max money on the old rookie system). Didn’t hurt.

The Packers model is well documented.

Look at how many quality QBs the Patriots have turned out while Brady was on the roster.

Jimmy G, Cassel, Brissett, Stidham - I’m sure there are others. And even if they’re not spectacular, they have all managed at one point or another to be baseline competent in the NFL.

Because they all got to watch Tom do it every day for years.

There’s value in watching people who know what they’re doing.

Cousins knows what he’s doing. And the model for teams that bring on an aging vet should be to draft a QB as high as possible as soon as possible to watch the master work.

Everyone talks about players being ready earlier - sure, sometimes. But lots of guys aren’t, and it’s okay if they aren’t.

if you don’t need them to be ready earlier, that’s actually easier on them. Instead of being tasked with learning the offense and saving the franchise from going 2-15 again, they just have to learn the offense and do what they’ve always done, in the background. And know that their time will come.

Jordan Love didn’t need to learn how to save the Green Bay Packers, he needed to watch what Rodgers did and copy as much of it as he could. As a result, Green Bay is staring down the barrel of 45 consecutive years of Hall of Fame QB play, and near constant relevance.

If (When) this works, you’ll see more teams copycat it.
Old 04-26-2024, 03:53 PM   #706
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
If you get the player in the right draft slot it works.

The Chiefs thought Mahomes was this good so they did it and pulled it off. But they were mocked pretty hard at the time. Although it's plausible that if they didn't move up to take him there another team might have grabbed him around that spot. They also had the vet in place and knowing their scheme and were a Division winner who had been a 2 seed.

Packers used later firsts on guys again with older vets who knew the system.

In this case it's a new QB and a top 8 pick. I don't know how other teams saw things, but either trading back or using that pick on another position and than coming up from their 2nd might have been a better move.

I'm not sure if Pennix was
The Chiefs had to move up to get Mahomes, because as Sean Payton has said numerous times, the Saints were taking him at 11.

Cowherd was saying today that four teams were trying to trade up to take Penix.

If that’s true, then enough teams saw something in this guy to want him starting games sooner rather than later.

When you’ve got a competent but aging QB who’s the ultimate mercenary anyway, it’s an easy decision.

Better to have a rookie watch and learn from Kirk than Sam Bradford.

It’s only money, and they’re buying a top-10 QB prospect a $100M education.

It almost seems wise.
Old 04-26-2024, 03:58 PM   #707
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love sat for three seasons, but was still only 24 when he became the starter. If you're Atlanta and want a young, raw QB to learn behind Cousins for two or three years, then fine. But Penix turns 24 in two weeks. However you want to slice it, signing Cousins to that deal and then immediately using a top 10 pick on a 6 year college QB will rightfully get you a "WTF?!?" reaction. Very bad usage of assets, but the QB position makes desperate teams do stupid things. I mean, if Atlanta doesn't produce the biggest head scratcher in recent memory, we're probably all laughing today at Denver for making Bo Nix a top 12 pick. I mean, we should still all do that, but in combination with the Cousins contract, I think the Penix pick takes the cake.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 04:08 PM   #708
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Love sat for three seasons, but was still only 24 when he became the starter. If you're Atlanta and want a young, raw QB to learn behind Cousins for two or three years, then fine. But Penix turns 24 in two weeks. However you want to slice it, signing Cousins to that deal and then immediately using a top 10 pick on a 6 year college QB will rightfully get you a "WTF?!?" reaction. Very bad usage of assets, but the QB position makes desperate teams do stupid things. I mean, if Atlanta doesn't produce the biggest head scratcher in recent memory, we're probably all laughing today at Denver for making Bo Nix a top 12 pick. I mean, we should still all do that, but in combination with the Cousins contract, I think the Penix pick takes the cake.
Aaron Rodgers didn’t start until he was 25. He then played 15 seasons for the Packers.

Penix probably doesn’t need three years of development. He probably really only needs one, but if he gets two, it’s only because Kirk is healthy and successful.

Which makes for an even better situation for him to take over.

Conversely, if/when they have to move off Kirk, they have a QB on a 5-year rookie deal.

It’s actually not a bad use of cap space - it’s certainly a better idea than going all in thinking you’re a Super Bowl contender with Kirk Cousins.
Old 04-26-2024, 04:18 PM   #709
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

you know what's an even better use of cap space when you're drafting a QB in the top 10? Not giving Kirk Cousins 180m. I mean, you're making all the arguments for signing a bridge QB for a year or two while you get Penix ready ... you know, what Minnesota is doing with McCarthy and Darnold. And I think that's fine. In a nutshell, I personally don't think Penix is even worth a top 10 pick, but that's a different discussion ... drafting him with a bridge QB in hand would be defensible. But that Cousins contract clearly sets you up in a different direction, so combining a 180m veteran and a 24 year old top 10 pick just makes no sense.
Old 04-26-2024, 04:22 PM   #710
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
you know what's an even better use of cap space when you're drafting a QB in the top 10? Not giving Kirk Cousins 180m. I mean, you're making all the arguments for signing a bridge QB for a year or two while you get Penix ready ... you know, what Minnesota is doing with McCarthy and Darnold. And I think that's fine. In a nutshell, I personally don't think Penix is even worth a top 10 pick, but that's a different discussion ... drafting him with a bridge QB in hand would be defensible. But that Cousins contract clearly sets you up in a different direction, so combining a 180m veteran and a 24 year old top 10 pick just makes no sense.
But Darnold actually sucks.

Cousins is a good player and can probably help them contend for the division.

So if you can draft your future and still go to the playoffs for a couple years, it’s not a difficult decision for a team as perpetually forgotten about as Atlanta.
Old 04-26-2024, 04:47 PM   #711
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

What a silly hill to die on. It’s a dumb pick both for where it was made and in the context of the 4 year contract you just handed out to your new QB.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 05:25 PM   #712
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

But you just said he sucks and he’s old. Now he will get them a division title?

You know what would have helped him get a division title ? Getting help with that pick who can play now.

Seems like a team with no plan.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 05:30 PM   #713
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's another bizarre pick for Atlanta. They should be in win now mode and they've drafted a backup QB and then traded up to nab a project IDL.

Just wild asset management.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 05:30 PM   #714
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Orhorhoro is an amazing last name
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 05:38 PM   #715
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dang, bummed Keon Coleman was the first pick in round 2. Was hoping for him at #45.

Also, the Draft building must be really bright, because between last night and tonight, there's a LOT of shades being worn inside. Is that a thing now? Maybe I need to rock that look at the office..
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 05:56 PM   #716
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eagles rebuilding their secondary. Love it.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 05:56 PM   #717
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
But you just said he sucks and he’s old. Now he will get them a division title?

You know what would have helped him get a division title ? Getting help with that pick who can play now.

Seems like a team with no plan.
I didn’t say Cousins sucks, I said he’s coming off an Achilles injury. Something notorious for ruining careers.

But if he’s healthy, he’s a competent starter who will help them win games.

He’s in that Baker/Carr tier of QBs, and those are the other two best QBs in the division.

I’m not saying the moon is made of cheese here.
Old 04-26-2024, 06:03 PM   #718
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cooper DeJean is the first white corner since...Jason Sehorn?
Old 04-26-2024, 06:09 PM   #719
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Raiders are having a solid draft.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 06:10 PM   #720
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

dammit, I hoped Powers-Johnson would slip to the Steelers at 51. Sigh.

EDIT: love Frazier though. Glad they addressed C here.

Last edited by devo22; 04-26-2024 at 06:45 PM.