Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Bell Dual HD-PVR - $599?

I've been putting off buying one since the Spring but I'm finally going to pick one up tomorrow.

Best Buy and Bell have them listed at $599, I could have sworn that there was a price drop a while ago. Was that a temporary promotion?
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:16 PM   #2
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was a promo for new customers. They got a $300 programming credit.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:20 PM   #3
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just saw that new customer promo on Bell's website, too bad they don't have any deals like that for current subscribers.

Maybe that's what a saw and completely misread, I thought they dropped the price of a brand new unit by $80 or so.

Somewhat related, do you Bell people have TLC on channel 521? Even when I display all available channels it does not show TLC anywhere.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:27 PM   #4
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you considered renting?
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Have not really considered renting, I guess at $20/mo I'm banking on having this new receiver for longer that 2 years and 6 months to come out ahead.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:00 PM   #6
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Try phoning their retentions department and threaten to leave as "say" Shaw is offering a free HD PVR if you turn in your Bell equipment, if they don't give you a deal.

Here's a retentions thread.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...832#post810832
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:36 AM   #7
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Try phoning their retentions department and threaten to leave as "say" Shaw is offering a free HD PVR if you turn in your Bell equipment, if they don't give you a deal.
Yes, do that. I managed to get $250 worth of credits from them as an existing sub. Just get the names and employee IDs of everybody you talk to, and when you call to activate your receiver make sure you get that CSR to commit to when the credits will come off your account; and by commit I don't mean "typically 6-8 weeks."

My credits came in the form of 2 months free plus an extra $50, so YMMV.

Also you are correct that you saw them cheaper. BB and FS routinely put them on for $100 off. I think you may have to wait another 5-6 weeks for it to go on sale again, so it's up to you if its worth it.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #8
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Digital Home, great site, I go over there quite a bit but did not see the retention thread before. Thanks!

As much as I don't want to pay full price I just can't bring myself to call up Bell and try to weasel some money out of them. If Shaw had a Dual HD PVR and it was an option for me then I would easily threaten to leave, especially now that Shaw does have Center Ice.

I knew I saw the 9242 for cheaper, should have snagged it while I had the chance. Oh well, going to pick up a new one today after work.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:10 PM   #9
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post

Here's a retentions thread.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...832#post810832
I did the same thing and they ended up giving me $600 worth of credits to make the receiver free for me Of course I was kinda (okay a real) dick on the phone to the person because I was pissed when I found out the 9200 couldn't do the External HD.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote