Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-02-2021, 03:14 PM   #981
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given the lack of revenue and supposed reluctance of owners to pay fired coaches, I wonder if there is any rule against trading coaches?

Sometimes a change of scenery is good for both players and coaches.

I'd trade Ward for Green or Torterella.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:25 PM   #982
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Given the lack of revenue and supposed reluctance of owners to pay fired coaches, I wonder if there is any rule against trading coaches?

I'd trade Ward for any coach whose last name didn't end with "ulutzan".
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:37 PM   #983
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What about trading owners?
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:48 PM   #984
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone actually going to pay for tickets to this crap when they come back? They need to do something to give the fans hope. Fire Ward, make some trades. No one can keep watching this boring blow out hockey. Looch can go to bat for this guy all he wants but we pay to be entertained. The owners need to realize they are going to kill fan interest if they let this go all season. They will lose much more than just Ward's salary.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:52 PM   #985
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
I'd trade Ward for any coach whose last name didn't end with "ulutzan".
I would trade Ward for Gulutzan in an instant.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 03:55 PM   #986
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
What about trading owners?
Why? They spend to the cap. They allowed Tre to expand the hockey ops department and the analytics.

There's nothing to suggest that the owners are cheaping out on coaching. It's easy to say that and blame the owners for not spending big dollars on a coach but that's completely inconsistent with the rest of their operations.

I don't buy that the owners aren't willing to spend on an elite coach. We've heard the rumours that the owners wanted to bring Darryl back to coach. The facts are that the team spends to the cap and signs free agents to big deals.

This mess in on the GM. He hired the inexperienced coaches. There's enough history from his days in Arizona to suggest that hiring inexperienced coaches is HIS preference and not mandated by the owners.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:06 PM   #987
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
I'd have to think that Treliving would have a good pulse from his leadership on the attributes of these coaches they've brought on, though.

They had the psychotic drill sergeant, the good communicator, the gruff and tumble farm boy (ALA the Sutter mold), and now they've got a tactitioner/player's coach.

4 very different coaching methods to evaluate from. I draw more from that than their collective inexperience as HC, as at least we see entirely different approaches failing in their own rights.
Referring to Geoff Ward as a tactitioner is like referring to the Grand Canyon as a ditch.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 04:16 PM   #988
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Can't go back to Darryl as the GM but I would be open to him coaching the team. I can't imagine Treliving would welcome this as Darryl won't be afraid to question Treliving's process.
Tree is not so fragile as to want only yes men around him. He wants and seeks push back and questions. This suggestion to the contrary is not based on fact.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 04:19 PM   #989
Cowtownred
Draft Pick

Wills backing his buddy Ward, on the fan right now!
Cowtownred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:20 PM   #990
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think it's quite telling the role guys who were brought in are all playing like trash. Significantly worse than with their previous teams. I doubt guys like Nordstrom and Simon are taking shifts off or not trying. They are bubble guys who will do anything to stay in the league. I have no doubt they are doing exactly what Ward is telling them...yet somehow they have become worse here.

We have a head coach here who got his only two head coaching gigs in North America because the head coach position above him was vacated mid season. Once because Julien was promoted to the NHL and once because of the Peters fiasco.

It's completely reasonable to question if this guy is helping or hurting the team.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Infinit47 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 04:22 PM   #991
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
Tree is not so fragile as to want only yes men around him. He wants and seeks push back and questions. This suggestion to the contrary is not based on fact.
His history of coach hirings would indicate that he doesn't want an established coach who can push back on him.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:22 PM   #992
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
I wish Tre would prove us wrong with a solid coaching hire. Im willing to be wrong.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:24 PM   #993
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
His history of coach hirings would indicate that he doesn't want an established coach who can push back on him.
You don't consider Peters established?

Was picked by Canada to be head coach of a world championship team, and was an assistant coach at the World Cup.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:33 PM   #994
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Was picked by Canada to be head coach of a world championship team, and was an assistant coach at the World Cup.
I think Peters could have been a decent hire. He did lead them to 107 points. He faltered badly in the playoffs but in his fairness, that was his first crack the playoffs.

He MIGHT have turned it around the next season, unfortunately, his past caught up with him and we will never know.

From an outside perspective, he looked like a head coach.

My problem with Tre is he knew what kind of coach this core needed after GG, and that was a coach more like Peters, but then went back to a coach just like GG in Ward when Peters had to be let go. That is a GM not learning from his mistakes.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:33 PM   #995
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

We had to wait to hire him until after he was fired for 4 years of no playoffs in Carolina. Their team got better as soon as he left.

I guess he is established the same way Gulutzan would be if someone else now hired him as a head coach. I did say earlier that I felt both Peters and Gulutzan were competent coaches, but I doubt either one would challenge Trelieving in the same way a Torts, Vingneualt, Boudreau, Gallant, or Babcock (for examples) would.

I don't think it's a money thing with owners, I don't think it's that hard to get a single winning coach here, so the only thing left is that Trelieving doesn't want someone who will challenge his empire. You see this all the time with terrible managers in Oil and Gas, and it's exactly what the Ward 2 year contract looked like to me.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:36 PM   #996
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We had to wait to hire him until after he was fired for 4 years of no playoffs in Carolina. Their team got better as soon as he left.

I guess he is established the same way Gulutzan would be if someone else now hired him as a head coach. I did say earlier that I felt both Peters and Gulutzan were competent coaches, but I doubt either one would challenge Trelieving in the same way a Torts, Vingneualt, Boudreau, Gallant, or Babcock (for examples) would.

I don't think it's a money thing with owners, I don't think it's that hard to get a single winning coach here, so the only thing left is that Trelieving doesn't want someone who will challenge his empire. You see this all the time with terrible managers in Oil and Gas, and it's exactly what the Ward 2 year contract looked like to me.
I'll say this about 2 year contracts, I don't think you can really sign a coach to a 1 year contract and be a lame duck coach. So 2 years is really the bare minimum and also speaks volumes about how confident Treliving was in Ward. The question is, what's taking Tre so long to act now? Or maybe his power is being taken away from him to act. Maybe the owners have seen enough?
Old 03-02-2021, 04:44 PM   #997
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'll say this about 2 year contracts, I don't think you can really sign a coach to a 1 year contract and be a lame duck coach. So 2 years is really the bare minimum and also speaks volumes about how confident Treliving was in Ward. The question is, what's taking Tre so long to act now? Or maybe his power is being taken away from him to act. Maybe the owners have seen enough?
I wasn't very clear. I mean hiring Ward at all looked like he was hiring someone who couldn't challenge him.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:59 PM   #998
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I would trade Ward for Gulutzan in an instant.
I think I'd rather just die than have to live with the outcome of such a decision.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 05:00 PM   #999
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think it's quite telling the role guys who were brought in are all playing like trash. Significantly worse than with their previous teams. I doubt guys like Nordstrom and Simon are taking shifts off or not trying. They are bubble guys who will do anything to stay in the league. I have no doubt they are doing exactly what Ward is telling them...yet somehow they have become worse here.

We have a head coach here who got his only two head coaching gigs in North America because the head coach position above him was vacated mid season. Once because Julien was promoted to the NHL and once because of the Peters fiasco.

It's completely reasonable to question if this guy is helping or hurting the team.
Quote:
Across these things you are looking for things to confirm something you have already decided. I'm not saying Ward is a good coach but there is a whole lotta confirmation bias happening here.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:03 PM   #1000
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

Well you're more than welcome to your opinion.

Doesn't fit with what I've heard and seen from Trelving at all.

Peters was anything but a pushover, and had a lot more resume than you're giving him credit for.

Honestly ... I don't think Ward was his first choice as I've said earlier.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote