Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2021, 03:04 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Icon48 ESPN reaches 7 year ~$2.8-billion US broadcast deal with NHL

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...roadcast-deal/

Quote:
Significant murmurs surfaced Tuesday that the NHL has sewn up one-half of its new U.S. media rights package.

ESPN is believed to have reached a seven-year deal to become one of the league's media partners starting next season, according to multiple league and industry sources.

There was no confirmation from the NHL on an agreement that is expected to see ESPN get the rights to broadcast four Stanley Cup Finals between 2022 and 2028, plus streaming rights for Disney.

Financial terms of the deal weren't immediately available, nor was it clear which other media company would split the package with ESPN.

NBC currently pays $200 million annually for exclusive U.S. media rights that expire after this season.

News Update

NHL's release
https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-espn-di...?tid=280504338

Quote:
The Walt Disney Company, ESPN and the National Hockey League have reached a historic and innovative seven-year television, streaming and media rights deal, taking the new partnership from the beginning of the 2021-22 season through the 2027-28 season.

The visionary, first-of-its-kind agreement brings the NHL back to Disney and ESPN platforms and illustrates the unique position of The Walt Disney Company to bring the best hockey in the world to millions across its unparalleled collection of media platforms.

It is highlighted by: exclusive coverage of the Stanley Cup Final on ABC in four of the seven years of the agreement, with the ability to simulcast/megacast on ESPN+ and additional ESPN networks; the return of live NHL action to ESPN networks with 25 exclusive national regular-season games on ABC or ESPN; 75 national regular-season games per season produced by ESPN that will stream exclusively on both ESPN+ and Hulu; half of the Stanley Cup Playoffs on ABC and ESPN each season; and coverage annually of NHL's Face-off (opening night games), the NHL All-Star Game and Skills Challenge, plus other NHL special events each season.

Additionally, the NHL's out-of-market streaming package, with more than 1,000 games (formerly on NHL.TV), will now be available for fans to stream only as part of an ESPN+ subscription.

The agreement also includes extensive highlight rights that will add to coverage across ESPN's year-round news and highlights programming, and to coverage on the ESPN App and social media. International media rights - including in Latin America, the Caribbean and parts of Europe - are also part of the agreement.

"This partnership of the world's top hockey league and the platforms of The Walt Disney Company is a big win for our fans and our game," NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said. "Not only will this groundbreaking, seven-year deal enable the NHL to benefit from the incomparable power, reach and influence of The Walt Disney Company and ABC/ESPN, it sets a new standard in delivering our game to the most passionate and tech-savvy fans in sports in the ways they now demand and on the platforms they use."

Last edited by sureLoss; 03-10-2021 at 12:07 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2021, 03:05 PM   #2
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Huge news for the NHL in the States. Curious to hear what the money figure is like.

Wonder if they can get Gary Thorne, who was let go by the Orioles as their play-by-play guy in January.

Edit: looks like this will be a split rights situation, sort of like how the NFL rotates the Super Bowl between Fox, NBC, and CBS

Quote:
Significant murmurs surfaced Tuesday that the NHL has sewn up one-half of its new U.S. media rights package.

ESPN is believed to have reached a seven-year deal to become one of the league's media partners starting next season, according to multiple league and industry sources.

There was no confirmation from the NHL on an agreement that is expected to see ESPN get the rights to broadcast four Stanley Cup Finals between 2022 and 2028, plus streaming rights for Disney.

Last edited by TheScorpion; 03-09-2021 at 03:09 PM.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:09 PM   #3
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Good. Maybe now ESPN can stop ignoring the sport like it doesn’t even exist.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2021, 03:21 PM   #4
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is good for the NHL as you need ESPN on your side to get mainstream attention in the USA. If you go to their site the NHL is buried with WNBA, CFL, golf, tennis, WWE, etc. Hopefully the money is good as well.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2021, 03:21 PM   #5
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we stream on NHL on Disney in Canada? that would solve a lot of my cord cutting problems.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2021, 03:23 PM   #6
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Can we stream on NHL on Disney in Canada? that would solve a lot of my cord cutting problems.
I doubt that will be possible given Rogers has the territorial rights.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:35 PM   #7
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope local games continue to be blacked out on NHL.TV. That’s the best part of every TV deal
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:36 PM   #8
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

What is interesting to me is that there will be another media company involved. So there may be a split as to which games will be available on ESPN and the other media company.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:41 PM   #9
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
You can probably do that with the usual blackout restrictions for local games, similar to the options we have now, which as a Flames fan, is pretty much useless. I have a buddy who's a Kings fan, and for him, he's cut the cord years ago.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:49 PM   #10
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the rumour for the total US package annual value?

Minimum $600m/year? Max $1B? So a good deal would be in the $800M range?

Not a bad increase from $200M
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:52 PM   #11
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's long been rumoured that they were looking for a deal that's similar in structure to the NBA's, where ESPN gets some games, TNT gets some, and ABC has a few -- including the Finals.

For the NHL, it will likely be ESPN and USA Network (after Comcast announced they're shutting down NBCSN and moving their sports properties to USA) carrying the bulk of the games and NBC maintaining a similar level to what they currently have.

The big question is money. If they can get a total deal somewhere near $1 billion per year, that will go a long way towards offsetting the revenue losses this past year and getting the cap growing again.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:59 PM   #12
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really interested to hear the money situation on this. ESPN has been streaming more and more games on their ESPN+ platform.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 04:00 PM   #13
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

ESPN+ or ESPN 8: The Ocho here we come!
Old 03-09-2021, 04:04 PM   #14
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

They have been streaming games on ESPN+ for a few years now.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:16 PM   #15
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I doubt that will be possible given Rogers has the territorial rights.
Do Rogers rights include streaming? NFL rights in Canada did not which is why Amazon was allowed to broadcast TNF.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:34 PM   #16
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
CFL
Really?

I just checked the Singapore version of ESPN and NHL is below such luminary sports as shooting and chess on their menu bar, but above MLB! Haha (I guess)!
Old 03-09-2021, 05:39 PM   #17
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Bring the theme song back!

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2021, 06:43 PM   #18
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gary Thorne and Bill Clement in the old days was glorious
Old 03-09-2021, 07:30 PM   #19
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I remember watching NHL on ESPN around 1981-82 when my friend invited me to his place in Idaho.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN_N...l_Hockey_Night

I remember the year because we heard these new songs "Limelight" and "Spirits In The Material World" on the radio. I was so happy to see a game not involving the usual Canadian teams.

Last edited by troutman; 03-09-2021 at 07:34 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2021, 07:33 PM   #20
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Bring the theme song back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Gary Thorne and Bill Clement in the old days was glorious
Yes and yes.

NHL finally back on ESPN after such a long time away is great news. Surprised that it seems like it'll likely be an equal partnership between ESPN and NBC with the alternating Stanley Cup Final broadcasts. Thought that either one of them would maintain exclusivity over that property.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote