Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-2021, 10:30 AM   #5161
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Totally agree.

GMs have to make a call both ways. Trade before they decline, trade for a player before he pops, and the same in contracts ... go one year if you think he'll decline, lock him down if you think he's going to pop.
Managing the timing of your contracts and selling high or buying low on players is just as important as drafting and developing. Some of it is luck too as you never really know long term how things will work out. A little more predictable with young RFAs but things can swing fast. Take Monahan and Gaudreau who signed the same off season. If you took both deals and flipped the term what is the impact on this team moving forward? What if Johnny signed 7 years and Monahan 6 years. Monahan might have come in at about $6 mil or a bit less for 1 less year and Johnny probably comes in just over $7 mil probably around $7.25 mil.

Moving forward if Monahan was the pending UFA and Johnny had 2 years left at $7.25 or even 3 years at $7.5 mil we would be looking at a team that could sell on Monahan as a rental knowing we had Johnny for 2 or 3 more years this team over the next couple years is looking so much better even though the contract doesn't change anything about the players.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:45 AM   #5162
NegativeSpace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
You have to figure out the Gaudreau and Tkachuk contracts and you should have an idea as to what Monahan is at that point. I think next offseason will be a pretty tricky one.

I agree. Next summer will be tricky and I agree with others that the time to really maximize their assets in trades has probably past. Not having Gaudreau or Tkachuk sorted entering this year seems like a mistake to me. With the team's contract situation next summer, I have trouble seeing how this team stays together after this year and I just wonder if that is the thought inside the Saddledome.

The direction for this team is probably going to be decided next summer (and forced on them based on the contracts). We'll find out if Gaudreau is staying or not. We'll find out if Tkachuk will sign long-term or walk to free agency. Mangiapane. Monahan is entering his final year. Those looking for a core shake-up may see it happen.
NegativeSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 02:18 AM   #5163
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watch the AMAZON Leafs show with the Foligno trade and then the Rittich trade. No wonder you want an experienced GM.
MrMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 03:44 AM   #5164
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Watch the AMAZON Leafs show with the Foligno trade and then the Rittich trade. No wonder you want an experienced GM.

Could you summarize, as not that many people have that streaming service?
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
AC
Old 10-02-2021, 08:50 AM   #5165
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dubas has been the GM/Assistance GM since 2014 or so. I don't think he's that inexperienced.

But I agree that Treliving's Rittich trade was better than the Foligno trade.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:09 AM   #5166
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

This is also the best surrounding cast Gaudreau has had imo. The Flames have seven legit top six players. Coleman is what Brouwer and Neal were supposed to be. Mangiapane is there now. If Dube takes a step forward that could mean 8 legit top six forwards.

I'm in the minority here, but on paper this looks like the best flames team in a while. I've even really liked what I've seen from the defence. Tanev/Hanifin in a solid top pairing. Zadarov has looked like a great #4/5 so far. Kylington, Valimaki, and Zadarov leaves more than enough bodies to fill that #4 role, even if they are situationally rotating in and out of the top 6.

I'm excited to see Gaudreau unleashed, without having to worry about being bullied. Anyone who cares to touch him is going to get absolutely pummeled. I see Gaudreau continuing his play from the last 15-20 games of last year and being a 90 point player.

Even if Gaudreau decides he won't stay, I see him vastly increasing his value in a trade.

The worst case scenario here is the team clicks in the regular season, flops in the playoffs, and then Gaudreau walks for nothing. I don't see a Sutter led team totally flopping in the playoffs though.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2021, 09:23 AM   #5167
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post

I watched the show, not sure what the problem is with the way Dubas handled those trades?
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:27 AM   #5168
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Just noticed that as time goes on, the poll has slipped below 50% who think Treliving should be fired, only 48.82%. Pretty sure it used to be over 50%

I wish I paid closer attention to how these super late mail in votes broke down. Mainly because it’d be kind of funny to see if it is really late votes going in to the undecided bucket
By now everyone knows Treliving is not going anywhere this year
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:48 PM   #5169
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Garbage GM who continues to ice a ####ty product on the ice. 3 off-seasons with no changes to the core and the complaint is still the same - top guys still not doing enough.Can't wait until he is fired. Worst GM in the league.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:50 PM   #5170
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Garbage GM who continues to ice a ####ty product on the ice. 3 off-seasons with no changes to the core and the complaint is still the same - top guys still not doing enough.Can't wait until he is fired. Worst GM in the league.

Meh first game of the season.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:52 PM   #5171
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post

Old 10-16-2021, 10:53 PM   #5172
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dude didn’t even watch the game
Was just waiting around to bump the thread
Odd way to be a fan
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:56 PM   #5173
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Odd way to be a fan
Nah, I watched most of the third. Team still sucks ass.

Am I supposed to ask for your permission before making a post or bumping a thread? Like it was discussed a few days ago, the mods on here will do anything to make sure the Flames never get any criticism.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:56 PM   #5174
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I ain’t a mod
And exactly what are the mods doing to suppress criticism? If that’s the goal they are doing a crap job of it
Get a fresh take at least
Just a useless bump of a thread with nothing new to say
Old 10-16-2021, 10:57 PM   #5175
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Odd way to be a fan
I'm sure he watched just as you did.

Is he wrong in contemplating the gm of this team being incompetent? Do you think treliving is a top 15 gm?
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:59 PM   #5176
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
I'm sure he watched just as you did.

Is he wrong in contemplating the gm of this team being incompetent? Do you think treliving is a top 15 gm?
Naw he admitted in the game thread he wasn’t watching
Old 10-16-2021, 10:59 PM   #5177
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Haha great gif response
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:00 PM   #5178
theinfinitejar
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Overreaction but not incorrect.

Into the Sun.
theinfinitejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:02 PM   #5179
Passe La Puck
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Would feaster’s flames with no free agents only rookies and retirees, be any worse?
Passe La Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:02 PM   #5180
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I ain’t a mod
And exactly what are the mods doing to suppress criticism? If that’s the goal they are doing a crap job of it
Get a fresh take at least
Just a useless bump of a thread with nothing new to say
It's a new season and the team showed the same weakness that it has been over the past few seasons. The one constant is the architect of the team who refuses to make any changes.

You are right though - let's all take fresh takes and talk about how Edmonton only won because McDavid got a bounce lol.