Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2021, 12:49 PM   #5061
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Right. Lets talk more about how cash is obsolete. I think lots of peoples answers would have changed. I know that mine has.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:52 PM   #5062
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

talk about whatever you want...Brad isn't getting fired though

It will be nice when we can talk about actual games, one month
Old 09-14-2021, 01:30 PM   #5063
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving's latest interview with Eric Francis

Quote:
“I can’t click my heels and make things happen. You have to have a trade partner. Nobody is ever done in this business — you’re always looking for ways to improve. But it has got to make sense.
What doesn't make sense is being a cap-team for 7 straight seasons and only winning one playoff round in your rookie season, all while making the least amount of selections league-wide in the first 2 rounds of the entry draft over the span of the 2018/2019/2020 drafts.

What doesn't make sense is being a non-playoff team, yet losing the best player to be selected in the expansion draft.

What doesn't make sense is being a non-playoff team, losing your #1 defenceman, and then bringing in two new bottom pairing defencemen and another cycle of 4th line forwards (outside of Blake Coleman).

Brad Treliving is just a bad General Manager without a plan.

Last edited by ComixZone; 09-14-2021 at 01:35 PM.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 01:40 PM   #5064
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can’t click my heels and make things happen. You have to have a trade partner. Nobody is ever done in this business — you’re always looking for ways to improve. But it has got to make sense.
He trots this same tired line out every year like clockwork. Do your damn job, Brad, and stop making excuses.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 01:42 PM   #5065
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could see a Norm Macdonald bit about the door to door salesman complaining that people are annoyed by him trying to sell to them, or a comedian who needs laughers in the audience, or a gm who finds it hard to make a trade.

Rip norm macdonald
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 01:43 PM   #5066
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

What doesn't make sense is being a cap-team for 7 straight seasons and only winning one playoff round in your rookie season, all while making the least amount of selections league-wide in the first 2 rounds of the entry draft over the span of the 2018/2019/2020 drafts.

What doesn't make sense is being a non-playoff team, yet losing the best player to be selected in the expansion draft.

What doesn't make sense is being a non-playoff team, losing your #1 defenceman, and then bringing in two new bottom pairing defenceman and another cycle of 4th line forwards (outside of Blake Coleman).

Would you have preferred he traded a 1st and a 3rd to protect a 38 year old Giordano?

And why complain about the additions? All of them serve a specific purpose and can legitimately play (save for Gudbranson). Even then if there is any system where Gudbranson can be serviceable it’s on a Darryl Sutter team. Worst case scenario he’s just another heavyweight to back up Lucic. The mandate in Calgary is clearly try to compete. If you want to blame anyone, blame ownership.

I don’t hate the additions. With a full year of Sutter I truly think this will be the first season in a long while where the Flames have a legitimate identity. I’m looking forward to it.

I don’t think this team wins the cup, but if Johnny, Tkachuk, and Lindholm continue their chemistry and the bottom half of the roster is as good defensively as it should be I think it can be a fun season.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 01:55 PM   #5067
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Would you have preferred he traded a 1st and a 3rd to protect a 38 year old Giordano?

And why complain about the additions? All of them serve a specific purpose and can legitimately play (save for Gudbranson). Even then if there is any system where Gudbranson can be serviceable it’s on a Darryl Sutter team. Worst case scenario he’s just another heavyweight to back up Lucic. The mandate in Calgary is clearly try to compete. If you want to blame anyone, blame ownership.

I don’t hate the additions. With a full year of Sutter I truly think this will be the first season in a long while where the Flames have a legitimate identity. I’m looking forward to it.

I don’t think this team wins the cup, but if Johnny, Tkachuk, and Lindholm continue their chemistry and the bottom half of the roster is as good defensively as it should be I think it can be a fun season.
The whole picks to keep Gio is a stupid argument. He had years to get the roster ready for the expansion draft.

FFS BT acted like he made his roster decisions a week before the draft.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 02:00 PM   #5068
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

I think a lot of people overestimate what "plan" means to an NHL GM. It is not some linear step by step formula for creating a successful team. I think most GMs have a concept of what kind of team they want, and what style they want to play. After that, it's a matter of ID-ing prospects or FAs that fit, and making trades if the opportunity presents itself. Tell me trading for Eichel was in any GM's plans before last year.

I think Moneyball created a false impression that a GM can, through some sort of Green Lantern will power, force something to happen via trade. I sometimes is just not there. If, in that movie, one of the GMs on the phone with Brad Pitt says "no, we aren't making that trade", the scenario falls apart.

Now, has Treliving made mistakes? Yup, and some of them were huge, in hindsight. Has he missed out on a trade? I don't know. Should he be fired simply based on a lack of success for several years? That's a pretty good argument and why I voted how I did. But as far as a "plan" as in addressing team needs? I think Treliving has a concept. His moves to address them haven't worked out. He needed another top level centre and he thought the team drafted one. He wanted a big scoring winger and he got someone who was supposed to be that, but who turned out to be a complete dud. He wanted a big scoring RH D and he got Hamilton, but had to spend that asset to address the centre issue. Etc.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:06 PM   #5069
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
The whole picks to keep Gio is a stupid argument. He had years to get the roster ready for the expansion draft.

I bet they thought, heading into the season, they would be exposing Tanev and protecting Gio.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 09-14-2021, 02:10 PM   #5070
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I bet they thought, heading into the season, they would be exposing Tanev and protecting Gio.
I don't think so. They just acquired Tanev. I think they either thought Gio would be cost-prohibitive for the Kraken (versus his declining skill level) or that they could make a move to reduce D exposure.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:10 PM   #5071
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Think 4+4 would've been ?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:11 PM   #5072
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don't think so. They just acquired Tanev. I think they either thought Gio would be cost-prohibitive for the Kraken (versus his declining skill level) or that they could make a move to reduce D exposure.
I think they felt that Tanev wouldn't be appealing even if exposed. And then he was damn good. Probably better than their highest expectations.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:12 PM   #5073
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Think 4+4 would've been ?
Doubtful. Even after moving Sam they still would not have had enough slots.

1. Johnny
2. Elias
3. Monahan
4. Tkachuk

There's your four. So you are exposing Dube, Eat Bread, Backlund, etc. And likely losing Eat Bread.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 02:12 PM   #5074
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
He trots this same tired line out every year like clockwork. Do your damn job, Brad, and stop making excuses.
So what are you saying?

He's getting good offers and not taking them?

Or that he's getting bad offers and rejecting them, but he should just take them?

You honestly find it hard to believe that the core we don't particularly like isn't getting traction on the trade market at full value?

There are plenty of reasons (and I've said this about 4 dozen times) to let Treliving go. The Gulutzan hire. Trading futures to bet on Monahan and Gaudreau. Some free agent signings. Tenure ... he hasn't done enough.

But inactivity in the face of terrible offers shouldn't be one of them.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:14 PM   #5075
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know people don't want to hear it but this is the key point:

“It doesn’t make any sense for us to give a player away for 50 cents on the dollar. It’s great to say, 'go get this guy.' Problem is, this isn’t fantasy hockey. The idea that you can go pick ‘this player’ off the player tree ... it doesn’t happen that way.”

Also good to see confirmation that they are 100% vaccinated.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:14 PM   #5076
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

Losing a good player is generally a problem for teams that have good players.

So you wanted him spending years before the expansion draft gutting the team?

If the Flames didn't have some success drafting (Andersson) or developing (Hanifin) or in free agency (Tanev) they wouldn't have had an issue.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 02:18 PM   #5077
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Losing a good player is generally a problem for teams that have good players.

So you wanted him spending years before the expansion draft gutting the team?

If the Flames didn't have some success drafting (Andersson) or developing (Hanifin) or in free agency (Tanev) they wouldn't have had an issue.
And, on the other hand, if Andersson had had another good year instead of a plateau, and if Valimaki had made a big jump, losing Gio wouldn't be as big a deal (in fact people would have been quite happy about the cap room).

And if Gio's season hadn't rebounded after the pairing switch, no one would have been complaining now either.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:20 PM   #5078
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
And, on the other hand, if Andersson had had another good year instead of a plateau, and if Valimaki had made a big jump, losing Gio wouldn't be as big a deal (in fact people would have been quite happy about the cap room).

And if Gio's season hadn't rebounded after the pairing switch, no one would have been complaining now either.
I just keep coming back to how well that Giordano contract worked out.

Imagine the % of CPers that would have gladly taken 5 solid years and then not having to pay the guy for year six on a contract signed at 32-33?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 02:21 PM   #5079
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

They effectively circumvented the draft by keeping Valimaki out Kucherov style. Part of getting the team ready for the expansion draft.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 02:22 PM   #5080
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
So what are you saying?

He's getting good offers and not taking them?

Or that he's getting bad offers and rejecting them, but he should just take them?

You honestly find it hard to believe that the core we don't particularly like isn't getting traction on the trade market at full value?

There are plenty of reasons (and I've said this about 4 dozen times) to let Treliving go. The Gulutzan hire. Trading futures to bet on Monahan and Gaudreau. Some free agent signings. Tenure ... he hasn't done enough.

But inactivity in the face of terrible offers shouldn't be one of them.
I'm just a fan, how should I know what the market is like? I care about the results, and Brad consistently fails to produce them and every year he drops the same lines on us about how making moves is hard. Like no **** it's hard, that's why you're paid to do it.

If I had to venture a guess, Brad's problem is that his assessment of "50 cents on the dollar" is warped. It's one thing to have a pair of shoes and say "I want to sell these shoes for elventy zillion bajillion dollars, PAY UP!" But if the market says they're worth one dollar and you say "no way, the deal has to make sense for me," well, I guess all you're going to have is a crappy pair of shoes you refuse to sell.

If your problem is that "you can't move players when their value is so low," what were you saying when they had that value but the cracks were beginning to show in the core? I'm willing to bet you were saying there's no way you trade these players now and you give them more time. Well, this is what happens when you sit on an asset for too long. You'd think Flames fans would know this better than most.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote