Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Virtual Private Network (VPN) Services

Searched but did not see any threads about VPN services. If there is one that I missed I guess this post can be merged with it.

I am looking at signing up for a VPN service but I am unsure what the best option is for the money. I obviously want to play the lowest amount for the most features. There seems to be so many to choose from now like strongvpn, hidemyass and one I just stumbled onto today called unblockus (which doesn't look to be a full on VPN service). I am also confused to whether you want to set it up on your router (so all devices can use it) or just for specific devices.

What VPN service are you using and for what purpose? Are you getting what you paid for? Is it secure, reliable and reputable? Would you recommend it?
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

This will be the only thread I recall: http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=109062
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

what are you using it for? If just to access US content unblockus is awesome I have used it for close to a year now and will always continue. Plus they are a member on the forum
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

StrongVPN has been very reliable for me. If you need the full feature set that VPN offers, it fits the bill.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
MrSector9
Backup Goalie

Exp:

just started using unblock us and it couldn't have been easier, streams work the exact same as before. good service.

that being said i didn't know they were a member of this forum. neat.
MrSector9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
Milt Schmidt
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I use witopia right now, it works well enough for accessing services in the US/UK, and for when I'm traveling or on public wifi networks etc. If you're looking for better privacy I'd look into BTGuard, they don't keep logs of your activity at all which makes it much more anonymous than many VPN's.

Milt
Milt Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I just recently got hidemyass. It's pretty straight forward and easy to setup. I've used it on my macbook to watch US Netflix here in Canada. Haven't had any issues. I'm just trying to setup my router so I can watch netflix on my Apple TV, which is becoming a pain.
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #8
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

+1 for hidemyass. Been using it for US Netflix for about a year now.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #9
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic View Post
I just recently got hidemyass. It's pretty straight forward and easy to setup. I've used it on my macbook to watch US Netflix here in Canada. Haven't had any issues. I'm just trying to setup my router so I can watch netflix on my Apple TV, which is becoming a pain.
If you want from a router level really should look into usvideo. At least try the week free trial it literally takes 30 seconds to setup
Old 01-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

I'm trying the 7 day trial for unblockus as a result of this thread. Can't believe I didn't know about this earlier. The US netflix is awesome.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #11
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's a free one out there, raptorVPN and hotspotshield. Works with getting Hulu working at least. Haven't tried US netflix yet. Going try it when I get home.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #12
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does unblockus work with NHL Gamecenter?
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #13
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
I'm trying the 7 day trial for unblockus as a result of this thread. Can't believe I didn't know about this earlier. The US netflix is awesome.

I am pretty confident I have told you about this in person multiple times mr archer! Give your head a shake

Their website says it does. I personally have not tried it
Old 01-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #14
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic View Post
Interested to hear how that process works for you. I got an Apple TV over the holidays and would love to watch the US Netflix offerings on it.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #15
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
Interested to hear how that process works for you. I got an Apple TV over the holidays and would love to watch the US Netflix offerings on it.

Highly recommend trying out USvideo. They have a free trial and then 5 bucks a month after that. It is very easy to do. 30 seconds to set up and you are good to go and never have to touch it again
Old 01-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #16
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

2 questions:

1: Can you get the US Netflix on a PS3 by using a VPN? Is it a supported Device?
2:Anybody tried a Roku? I have heard they are better than Apple TV, but only with a VPN
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #17
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
2 questions:

1: Can you get the US Netflix on a PS3 by using a VPN? Is it a supported Device?
2:Anybody tried a Roku? I have heard they are better than Apple TV, but only with a VPN
Yes, you can configure VPNs to work with the PS3. Roku you should be able to as well from what I understand.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #18
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
I followed these steps on the HMA forums.
HMA Tutorial

If you don't have HMA, then I'd suggest googling your VPN service tutorial router setup.
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #19
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could someone walk me through how to do this with Unblockus and Telus internet?
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #20
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Could someone walk me through how to do this with Unblockus and Telus internet?
If you just need certain media servers to access US content via usvideo.org or unblock better off just changing your dns settings rather than switching things on the router. I find it much easier. That way one doesnt have to mess with the router at all, just your dns settings on your laptop, ps3 etc.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote