Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Kerins, Rory 58 40.28%
Whynot, Cameron 86 59.72%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2021, 03:31 PM   #21
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the Whynot pick. I think he should be further up this list, but I believe the same about Kerins. Like I’ve said, he plays an awesome 200ft game, and plays physical despite his size. I like this kid as much or more than Francis, and if the OHL was playing, they would be very close on this list.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2021, 09:06 PM   #22
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Don't see the justification for voting Whynot over him.
Whynot?
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:15 AM   #23
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Obviously went Kerins here as I have Whynot a tier down at this point in time.

Cameron Whynot
Cameron Whynot is a terrific skater who is confident moving the puck from defensive zone to offensive zone with urgency. I found Whynot to be a very difficult prospect for me to give a trajectory for as he has the abnormal skillset of being dominant on the rush, but also terrible defending the rush: usually players are adept at both attributes with their skating ability. Whynot can easily navigate the neutral zone, breaking through various forechecking and blueline-defending tactics with ease. However, defending the rush, Whynot struggles significantly matching opponents' speeds and angles and is frequently caught on his heels resulting in his side of the ice being an easy route into the offensive zone for the opposing team. While his skating is clearly far better, he is almost like Dennis Wideman with his inability to defend the rush as a memory for Flames fans. Whynot also gives me vision concerns as he seems to play with horse blinders at times, but that could be chalked up to trying to do too much on his own rather than a fault. Something to keep an eye on. If I didn't find him difficult enough to analyze already, you can add in the story of two seasons: In his D-1 season he struggled mightily but rebounded with a much better draft season, however you have to weigh what impact playing without, then with, Avalanche first-rounder, Justin Barron, had on that which is always a difficult task.

Add all that up and this is a prospect I am have a very large range for relative even to the naturally wide ranges most prospects have already. Should have a much better impression a year from now.

Ceiling: Second pairing I guess
Probable: No idea (Style: kind of reminds me of Brandon Montour - great skater but questionable IQ and poor vision)
Floor: Outright bust

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2021, 03:16 AM   #24
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here is how the two public models see this round's winner. Please note that the criteria each model uses for star and NHLer is different! JFresh/TopDownHockey will almost always be lower than Bader's as their thresholds are a much higher standard so adjust accordingly.

Hockey Prospecting
Calgary's own, and fellow Flames fan, Byron Bader runs the excellent site, Hockey Prospecting. You have likely seen his graphics before. At just $25/year his site is a wonderful resource for any fan interested in prospects. You can register here and support Bader's work if you are interested: https://hockeyprospecting.com/register/

Spoiler!

JFresh/TopDownHockey
JFresh and his partner TopDownHockey introduced their NHLe model this year. You will be familiar with the NHL player graphics they produce regularly. At $7/month the subscription is a no-brainer for any hockey fan. You can register here and support their work if you are interested: https://www.patreon.com/jfreshhockey
Spoiler!

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote