Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2021, 12:15 PM   #21
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

If he plays 44 games he will become the all-time leader among NHL defensemen.
Old 09-18-2021, 01:11 PM   #22
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I look forward to Brad signing Chara next year on the eve of the season opener, Chara being undeniably effective, but retiring mid season due to an injury that likely would’ve been avoided had he had the benefit of a training camp.
Old 09-18-2021, 03:18 PM   #23
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I look forward to Brad signing Chara next year on the eve of the season opener, Chara being undeniably effective, but retiring mid season due to an injury that likely would’ve been avoided had he had the benefit of a training camp.
You say this like Jagr wasn’t the decision maker in that regard. Players hate camp. Jagr decided to skip it.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:44 PM   #24
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
You say this like Jagr wasn’t the decision maker in that regard. Players hate camp. Jagr decided to skip it.
When was that confirmed? I had never heard that, but had heard that Brad wanted to wait until later to sign him, making sure he had everything else completed first on the roster.

Last edited by jayswin; 09-18-2021 at 08:47 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:47 PM   #25
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I will need a citation on this - Treliving had a bunch of college free agents like Foo who he thought might take a spot. Poirier/Klimchuk would have still been in the mix as well.

It was clear from his actions at the time, Treliving wanted one of the kids to seize a top-9 role.

They didn’t, we signed Jagr. He even said at his press conference that he wasn’t going to he ready right away, that he needed time to get in shape.

That’s not something you say if “skipping camp” was the reason you didn’t sign until October.

I don’t know why Jagr wouldn’t have just come to some sort of understanding about his training camp regimen, Rather than skip it entirely.

Everyone knew he was 45 - it would’ve been entirely reasonable to say “Jags is getting every other day off because he’s ####in Jags, anyone got a problem with that? No? Good.”
Old 09-18-2021, 10:25 PM   #26
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, it’s entirely my opinion, based on the Jagr talk all summer, plus . But its clear that whether he was in camp or not, he wasn’t in shape. And camp hasn’t been for getting in shape for 20 years. It’s funny that he said in July that year he was looking for a spot, but later admitted he didn’t stay in shape.

Treliving did say, however, that it was the kids not impressing that delayed things, whether you want to believe that or not. The biggest speculation in the media was that he overpriced himself until the eve of the season.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:51 PM   #27
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Isles are easy to cheer for. Just a massive Trotz fan and the style they employ.

Definitely my second team if I ever had one.

The adoption of Boston here only felt earned for a few years after KOing the whales. Kind of don't care about them any more, and Marchand is a butthead.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2021, 10:58 PM   #28
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Happy for Chara.
He's nowhere near the same player he was a few years ago, but he can still play and can be a valuable, imposing player in a limited role.
Old 09-19-2021, 02:53 AM   #29
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
If he plays 44 games he will become the all-time leader among NHL defensemen.
Wow, that is such an awesome record about to (hopefully) be broken. Glad he's playing yet another season for the team that drafted him. Isles have been my 2nd favorite team for almost 2 decades so I'll definitely be tuning into more of their games this season.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 12:30 PM   #30
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh, it’s entirely my opinion, based on the Jagr talk all summer, plus . But its clear that whether he was in camp or not, he wasn’t in shape. And camp hasn’t been for getting in shape for 20 years. It’s funny that he said in July that year he was looking for a spot, but later admitted he didn’t stay in shape.

Treliving did say, however, that it was the kids not impressing that delayed things, whether you want to believe that or not. The biggest speculation in the media was that he overpriced himself until the eve of the season.

Jagr is known to be one of those crazy dedicated fitness guys, and has been for years. I am sure he did everything that he could do to stay in shape, but camp is camp. He really needed that. I do wish that the Flames signed him earlier, or that he took longer to practice and slowly went in and out of the lineup, as I thought he was mostly good (definitely not vintage 'one of the best in history', but still a solid player who did more to help than to hurt).

I will always be sad about how it ended up here for him, but happy that he was here at all.

Chara I would take next season in a heart beat too - he can be effective off the 3rd pairing, 2nd PP with his bomb, and probably is the toughest guy in the league still. Plus, he is smart enough that he can make up for his lack of footspeed. I bet he does well-enough on the Islanders this year, and that he can squeeze-out another year or two after this. He - like Jagr - is also one of those fitness freaks.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:59 PM   #31
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Jagr is known to be one of those crazy dedicated fitness guys, and has been for years. I am sure he did everything that he could do to stay in shape, but camp is camp. He really needed that. I do wish that the Flames signed him earlier, or that he took longer to practice and slowly went in and out of the lineup, as I thought he was mostly good (definitely not vintage 'one of the best in history', but still a solid player who did more to help than to hurt).

I will always be sad about how it ended up here for him, but happy that he was here at all.

Chara I would take next season in a heart beat too - he can be effective off the 3rd pairing, 2nd PP with his bomb, and probably is the toughest guy in the league still. Plus, he is smart enough that he can make up for his lack of footspeed. I bet he does well-enough on the Islanders this year, and that he can squeeze-out another year or two after this. He - like Jagr - is also one of those fitness freaks.
Jagr admitted he didn’t stay in shape that summer. His excuse was he didn’t know if anyone was going to sign him at all.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:55 PM   #32
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Speaking of this. I really wish they would’ve signed Iginla instead of Jagr that season.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote