Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2021, 01:36 PM   #281
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Unfortunately, the sad truth of your first two sentences does not flow well into your conclusion. There is no good (or bad) way for Alberta to be heard and influence Canadian federal politics under the circumstances. None. We are irrelevant in a big picture and we are made more and more irrelevant by the Eastern politicians siphoning tax dollars towards all sorts of meaningless climate action initiatives and slowly killing the oil and gas industry. All federal parties are doing it now without exception.

Looks like the only answer is separation and self-determination.
What was that about the first part of your post not flowing well into your conclusion?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 01:57 PM   #282
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
What was that about the first part of your post not flowing well into your conclusion?
I know. Not much optimism there.

Perhaps, another option is a strong Western Party a la Bloc, which theoretically would have an ability to at least support or not support policies of any ruling party as long as they positively affect the West. But how realistic is a possibility of BC and Alberta interests aligning well?
Old 09-17-2021, 02:20 PM   #283
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Unfortunately, the sad truth of your first two sentences does not flow well into your conclusion. There is no good (or bad) way for Alberta to be heard and influence Canadian federal politics under the circumstances. None. We are irrelevant in a big picture and we are made more and more irrelevant by the Eastern politicians siphoning tax dollars towards all sorts of meaningless climate action initiatives and slowly killing the oil and gas industry. All federal parties are doing it now without exception.

Looks like the only answer is separation and self-determination.
To the extent that the voices of Albertans are actually irrelevant in Canadian federal politics (personally, I don't think this is remotely true), I expect that it has a lot more to do with the fact that views like the bolded are increasingly inconsistent with the views of the vast majority of Canadians than "Eastern politicians siphoning tax dollars" and trying to kill the oil and gas industry.
Old 09-17-2021, 03:51 PM   #284
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mailed my vote in earlier this week for the Liberals. I don't believe O'Toole policies would be much different from Ford's in Ontario or Kenney's in Alberta. He's been trying to appear more progressive and I think has done a decent job of it, but I simply don't believe him.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 10:34 PM   #285
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

A friend in a western province said he couldn’t vote for any of the parties but decided for his mail in to write in the name of who he thought was the most attractive member of The Bloc. I thought that was a different approach than the usual “none of the above”.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 12:24 PM   #286
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
A friend in a western province said he couldn’t vote for any of the parties but decided for his mail in to write in the name of who he thought was the most attractive member of The Bloc. I thought that was a different approach than the usual “none of the above”.
So in other words he voted for Trudeau. That’s fine if you are big Trudeau fan like you friend obviously is.

I might vote liberal too, but I have the courage to actually mark that on a ballot.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:17 PM   #287
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

What kind of psychopath slaps a poster on your (unclean, shutup I've been busy with another reno) front door???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:03 PM   #288
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Anecdotally, Siglar signs are all over Calgary Confederation. Even the energy mecca of Rosedale has...well, some

Far more support than i expected to see. And i'm not talking about the carpet bombing at condederation park, on boulevards, etc
The sign battle definitely looks more like the 2015 election where Matt Grant narrowly lost, rather than the 2019 blowout.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:07 PM   #289
vennegoor of hesselink
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Im voting Rhino as well, I'm a bit jealous of Slava lawn sign

vennegoor of hesselink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:17 PM   #290
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vennegoor of hesselink View Post
Im voting Rhino as well, I'm a bit jealous of Slava lawn sign
I saw two tiny signs along our road for Vanessa Wang yesterday, and today they disappeared. I don't even know how to get them.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 01:59 PM   #291
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

No Rhino here, we do have a Marxist-Leninst candidate that clearly won the candidates debate. Like they did better than all the other candidates combined.

No good options for me.

Our PPC candidate makes other PPC candidates look like sane intellectuals.

Our Green candidate hasn't been in the riding, lives 4000kms away and is literally just a name on the ballot.

Our NDP candidate is a nice guy who didn't do well in the debate but wasn't God awful.

I really don't like our Liberal candidate.

I can't vote for the current iteration of the CPC.

Might be a coin flip tomorrow?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:03 PM   #292
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
No Rhino here, we do have a Marxist-Leninst candidate that clearly won the candidates debate. Like they did better than all the other candidates combined.

No good options for me.

Our PPC candidate makes other PPC candidates look like sane intellectuals.

Our Green candidate hasn't been in the riding, lives 4000kms away and is literally just a name on the ballot.

Our NDP candidate is a nice guy who didn't do well in the debate but wasn't God awful.

I really don't like our Liberal candidate.

I can't vote for the current iteration of the CPC.

Might be a coin flip tomorrow?
Same in my riding. The lawn signs only recently popped up a few days ago and there is no name on it, just 'Green Party.'

Invigorating stuff.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:11 PM   #293
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Same in my riding. The lawn signs only recently popped up a few days ago and there is no name on it, just 'Green Party.'

Invigorating stuff.
Ha. We don't even have that.

I'd be curious to know how many people would have Marxist-Leninst signs after the debate.

A local meme page posted this the morning after the debate

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:25 PM   #294
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

We have a really strong Maverick party candidate in our area.

Our conservative candidate will win handily again either way. She got over 28,000 votes and the next place didn’t even get 4000
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:47 AM   #295
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got back from the polling station. It's located in a +55 building so a long lineup of elderly people to vote (go figure) but they all had a common poll which was different than mine and since nobody was in line for my poll I got moved to the front of the line. In out in about 5 minutes.

I went back on forth on my decision before deciding CPC. I've voted PC, UPC, Reform and Independent in the past depending on what message I felt I needed to convey. While not happy with all the CPC stands for I cannot in good conscience condone what the Liberals have done (and not done) for the past 6 years and wanted to send as strong a voice as possible which this time is the CPC.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:51 AM   #296
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we get a who did you vote for poll today to see how CP compares to the actual vote. please?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:08 PM   #297
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Can we get a who did you vote for poll today to see how CP compares to the actual vote. please?
Based on the last couple pages, it's gonna be Rhino in a landslide lol.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:12 PM   #298
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

NDP, not because I like them but because they didn’t do anything morally disqualifying.

This was the most depressing vote I think I have cast.

Glad mine didn’t matter.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:16 PM   #299
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

https://votecompass.cbc.ca/canada

This is surprisingly accurate and showed how I hold viewpoints that are typically considered in opposition to each other. IE: you can be pro-pipeline because that makes logical and economic sense and still want to invest into carbon capture and emission restrictions and green technologies.

I scored 50% on every party and dead center in the spectrum because I care about issues logically and not politically.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:43 PM   #300
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guys I'm jaded. Who should I vote for in Calgary Shepard? My election issues are climate change action, pandemic, economy in that order.

My vote compass says 59% conservative, 56% Liberal, 55% NDP, 49% Green and I wont even mention PPC because I won't vote for them under any circumstance. (it was by far the lowest anyway)
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote