Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2021, 09:39 AM   #2581
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
My iPhone 11 Pro isn't due to go back to Rogers until April 2022 but it looks like my current per-month cost of the device is the same as the iPhone 13 Pro. I just don't find myself really missing anything that the new models are offering. Even though 5G is amazing tech, I'm a little unconvinced that I am going to miss not having it until at least 2023. For someone in tech to not want the bleeding edge feels a little weird for me, but I'm kind of okay with it.
This happened to me when I got a free iphone x at previous employer jumping from my 6. Face ID was nice and all but wasn't really needed. I did get hooked on wireless charging so I decided to just buy an iPhone 8 and it has been working great for 2 years. I can't say I really miss the constant need get the latest and greatest anymore since they all do everything so great now.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:41 AM   #2582
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
The consensus seems to be older than 11 is worth the upgrade, 11/12 not really worth.
Seems like a reasonable argument unless your battery is shot. I'm going from an XS and I'm pretty excited. I'm about done with asking to use my wife's phone for the cool photos, my lightning port is finicky, and the near-field communication to locate airtags more precisely is becoming a bit more desired. My dog houdini'd her way over to my neighbours yard last night and it was confusing as hell because she was technically too close to show that she had run off, but also clearly not on our property.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:42 AM   #2583
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Seems like a reasonable argument unless your battery is shot.
That's the only real question mark as my current Battery Health is showing 86% which seems like a lot of degradation since only April 2020.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:09 AM   #2584
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the new camera as great as Apple is saying? If so then I’ll upgrade in about 12 months for travel.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 03:24 PM   #2585
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm upgrading to the 13 Max Pro from my cracked 8 Plus. I can't believe I'm paying almost $2K for a phone now, but it was time to bite the bullet.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:49 PM   #2586
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I put an order in for the 13 Pro. No issues using the Apple Store app. 120hz is worth the upgrade.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 09:08 PM   #2587
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm holding off until next year personally. Lately it's been minor incremental updates with the iPhone. I'm sure next years will be AR ready for whatever they come out with in the future. Until then, if my 7 works, no rush to upgrade, personally.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:24 PM   #2588
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I got the 13 Pro Max for pick up on launch day. Upgrading from an X. I’ve gotten every new redesign of the iPhone, including the 4, 6, X, but missed out on the 12 as I wasn’t working at this time last year and didn’t make sense to drop 2K on a phone while unemployed lol.

There are already leaked images of the 14, including no more notch and the back camera actually being flush to the phone.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:57 AM   #2589
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah so I just ordered an XR through my company. They wanted $$ for 13's but were giving away the XR stock.

I am sure that will be sufficient for emails and sending mocking texts to mates.

I am so cheap.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:21 AM   #2590
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Hey Everyone Apple Watch question

I want to use voice dictation completely hands free. Essentially, be able to raise my wrist and utter “Hey Siri, add to a note ‘blah blah blah’. This is so I can capture thoughts when I am walking with a coffee and don’t have easy access to a finger to hit the mic button in most transcription apps.

What I am wanting almost works with a raised wrist and then utter “Hey Siri send a text to George Smoth ‘blah blah’ however…

-you can’t text yourself so it’s pointless as a memo taker
-and I want to be able to add to a stream of thinking.

I’ve even tried building shortcuts with the Notebook app…but there is always a need to use a digit to pick a transcription voice input.

Any ideas on how to make the Apple Watch work for hands free voice dictation for people with one hand? It can happen with text messaging others…but messaging yourself ideas is ?impossible?

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 12:25 PM   #2591
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
Hey Everyone Apple Watch question

I want to use voice dictation completely hands free. Essentially, be able to raise my wrist and utter “Hey Siri, add to a note ‘blah blah blah’. This is so I can capture thoughts when I am walking with a coffee and don’t have easy access to a finger to hit the mic button in most transcription apps.

What I am wanting almost works with a raised wrist and then utter “Hey Siri send a text to George Smoth ‘blah blah’ however…

-you can’t text yourself so it’s pointless as a memo taker
-and I want to be able to add to a stream of thinking.

I’ve even tried building shortcuts with the Notebook app…but there is always a need to use a digit to pick a transcription voice input.

Any ideas on how to make the Apple Watch work for hands free voice dictation for people with one hand? It can happen with text messaging others…but messaging yourself ideas is ?impossible?
If you Google "apple watch notes dictation" there are several apps that will do what you want. I haven't used any of them so I can't recommend one but you could give them a try.

An alternative would be using Reminders. Make a new list called "Ideas" or whatever and say, "Hey Siri, add 'green would be a nice color for the den' to my ideas list". I also have a "Grocery" list that I add to for when I go shopping.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:09 PM   #2592
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainReboot View Post
I got the 13 Pro Max for pick up on launch day. Upgrading from an X. I’ve gotten every new redesign of the iPhone, including the 4, 6, X, but missed out on the 12 as I wasn’t working at this time last year and didn’t make sense to drop 2K on a phone while unemployed lol.

There are already leaked images of the 14, including no more notch and the back camera actually being flush to the phone.
I did the same but just got the 13 pro at 128gb. I may sell next year if what you said makes it, and also has satellite phone built in. I thought that was this year addition but must have got cut.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:45 AM   #2593
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

What’s all new in iOS 15?

I installed yesterday.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:06 PM   #2594
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ll give it a few weeks for them to eradicate the bugs.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 02:25 PM   #2595
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Still getting used to the address bar being at the bottom in safari.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:42 PM   #2596
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
iTunesMatch is working again this morning. Hopefully, not a temporary fix.
So I subscribed to it too last week. Seems only a small fraction has been moved to the cloud tho.

What percentage of your total library has?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 02:44 PM   #2597
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I oddly really, really like it. This change is a "hit" for me, which is a bit of a surprise.

I'm picking up a 13 Pro Max on Friday. I'm handing my 12 Pro Max off to my girlfriend, giving me an excuse to make this change.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 02:49 PM   #2598
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

iPadOS 15 is kind of...lame? the widgets work the same way now as they do on phones, but because they decided to lock down icon alignment with widget sizes, there is no longer the option to decrease icon spacing like before. the result is that there's way less room for apps on the first page, and enough space in between icons to fly Tim Cook's jet through. the split page multitasking is more intuitive now though, for anyone that actually uses it.

I saw the list of rumors for iPhone 14 and if even half of these are true, I'm just going to make family members wait the extra year.

- no notch
- no camera bump
- in screen fingerprint reader
- USB-C

Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 02:52 PM   #2599
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
You can move it back to the top. I've been using the beta for a while and I'm still getting used to it.

Safari extensions are really nice and being able to select text in a photo is amazing.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:57 PM   #2600
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Auto closing safari tabs! Love this! No more closing 50 tabs every couple weeks.