Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-26-2021, 11:53 AM   #481
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
its the equivalent of a rorschach test.

You can choose to believe the veracity of the eyewitnesses, who now include trained observers and not 'just some dude', who generally know what they are seeing, or write them off as crackpots or opportunists.

The Tic Tac incident wasn't just Fravor (who was the commander of the squadron on that carrier) but his wingman and their two additional pilots.

What it was, was unknown phenomena, but if the data is correct, pretty tough to explain what it is.

If are are 'defying' the Laws of Physics as we understand them, then the list of explanations gets small pretty fast. If it is Russian or Chinese technology, I'd be more worried frankly, than an paranormal explanation...
I saw David Copperfied defy physics once by making the Statue of Liberty disappear. Turns out he wasn't really defying physics, but how could all those witnesses be wrong? It was also caught on radar and video.

Creating technology that can defy the laws of physics - pretty damn hard probably.

Creating technology that can fool people and instruments - probably a lot easier and within the realm of human capabilities.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 06-26-2021 at 01:12 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2021, 11:57 AM   #482
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

If it is aliens, that is not paranormal. They would not be super-natural.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 12:45 PM   #483
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I look at the map posted earlier on the location of the sightings showing the vast majority - probably 95+ % - of sightings are in the UK and the US. If it were something from another planet, I can't see them being spotted only in these two spots when the majority of earth's landmasses are elsewhere.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 03:53 PM   #484
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I look at the map posted earlier on the location of the sightings showing the vast majority - probably 95+ % - of sightings are in the UK and the US. If it were something from another planet, I can't see them being spotted only in these two spots when the majority of earth's landmasses are elsewhere.
That's because the rest of the world has already been taken over by aliens who have taken on human form.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:40 AM   #485
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Bump:

As the topic still doesn't get a lot of coverage (although taht's changing), I thought this was a fairly significant development that has materialized as public news over the weekend. The source isn't the best, but no major media outlet has covered it (yet, as far as I can find). Lue Elizondo - one of those leading the charge for disclosure - brought it to the attention of the public this weekend as well.

I think this indicates a higher level of respect for UAP in government circles, and for the scientific study about them.

Congress calls for permanent UAP office

MYSTERY WIRE – Congress is taking action to establish a permanent UAP (Unidentified Aerial Phenomena) office.

The legislation language is on five pages of the FY 2022 National Defense Authorization Act (HR 4350) which is 1,362 pages long (Key pages and full document below).

According to the act, Congress is directing the Director of National Intelligence to “establish an office within the Office of the Secretary of Defense to carry out, on a Department-wide basis, the mission currently performed by the Unidentified Aerial Phenomenon Task Force as of the date of the enactment of this Act.”

EDIT: Here is another source for the same news, and with a bit more meat to the article with background and context:

The Debrief: CONGRESS CALLS FOR PERMANENT OFFICE TO ADDRESS “UNIDENTIFIED AERIAL PHENOMENA”

Last edited by Ozy_Flame; 09-13-2021 at 09:55 AM.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 08:46 AM   #486
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This brings to mind the old Project UFO show from the 70s. Eight year old me loved that show.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 10:09 AM   #487
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post

There have been strange lights in the sky for all of human history, so it's not unusual that most places would have local customs and superstitions for interpreting such phenomena.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:38 PM   #488
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

‘What I saw that night was real’: is it time to take aliens more seriously?

Quote:
Still, the topic of alien encounters remains sensitive. I discovered just how sensitive when author Whitley Strieber, who some claim was abducted by non-humans in 1985, terminated our call after learning that I had not read his books. In a subsequent email, he wrote: “I don’t know if I was abducted by aliens or not. The whole point of my work is to describe what happened to me and attempt to understand what it was. I was turned into ‘alien abductee Whitley Strieber’ by the media. That is not my position.” He added: “You are lost in space when it comes to this subject, my friend – all of you.”

After I got off on the wrong foot with Strieber, though, he did come back and introduce me to highly decorated former US navy cryptologist Matthew Roberts. He was stationed on the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt when fighter jets recorded the infamous “Gimbal” and “Go Fast” videos of unexplained objects off the Florida coast during 2015, which went a long way to prompting the Pentagon’s UFO report.
Quote:
But Nick Pope, a former UFO investigator for the Ministry of Defence, is not convinced and thinks that Godfrey is genuine. “He had a lot to potentially lose by coming out with this and yet stuck to his guns.”

Doesn’t a hallucination explain what he saw? “I get that people do have hallucinations, but they tend to be the result of either mental illness or some sort of hallucinogenic substance, and this guy was on duty and was, by all accounts, rational. And so those explanations don’t seem to apply – I’m stumped when it comes to that particular case. Ask yourself: how many times have you been tired and come to the end of a long day? We’ve all been in that situation, and we don’t suddenly construct bizarre narratives about spacecraft and aliens.”

Is it time to start taking these stories more seriously? “I’m not saying that I believe it’s literally true that these are alien spaceships,” says Pope. “But at the very least, these people who were previously disbelieved and ridiculed should be listened to and given a hearing.

“For everyone who tells you these people are attention seekers after fame and fortune, I would say, ‘What fame? What fortune?’ Who outside the UFO community has heard of Alan Godfrey or Terry Lovelace?”
Quote:
Does Pope think ETs are among us? “I don’t know. I am certain that they are out there, but whether they’re down here or not? I don’t know. I think it’s much more likely that we’re dealing with unmanned probes.”

If not hallucinations, equipment glitches or mistakes, many will say black ops, conducted by the US, China, Russia, or other militaries, are a more plausible explanation than aliens. “I accept that most military personnel won’t have sight of every single black project and, therefore, won’t necessarily know about every secret prototype, aircraft or drone that’s flying,” says Pope. “But the military and government, and the intelligence community have a pretty good idea of roughly where the ceiling is in terms of technology. So, when these expert military witnesses describe the sorts of speeds, accelerations, manoeuvres that are reported with these sorts of incidents, I sit up and take note.”
Quote:
Lovelace’s night in Devil’s Den changed his life and the life of his friend Toby. The US air force got wind of their ordeal and, per military protocol, separated and reassigned them. Lovelace ignored his orders and visited Toby to say goodbye. “Toby was falling apart,” Lovelace says. The two embraced. Toby said: “It happened, didn’t it?” “Yes, my brother, it really happened. You’re not losing your mind,” Lovelace replied.

Lovelace has suffered enormously since that night. “I’ve had 40 years’ of nightmares. I still have a phobia of crossing open ground. I still sleep with a light on and a gun beside my bed.” But he feels vindicated by acknowledgments made by the US government, military personnel and Obama. “I’ve got a long list of people that I’m going to email and say, ‘I told you so.’”

For Godfrey, it’s 40 years too late. He is adamant about what he saw that morning in Todmorden. “I’ve had all sorts: you fell into some sort of trance when you were driving – all that ####. No, it was real. It left debris on the road – my headlights were reflecting off it, as were the blue lights. This was a real incident. I didn’t need the Pentagon to tell me there are things out there. I know what I saw that night was real, nuts and bolts. If I’d got out and thrown a brick at it, it would have gone, ‘Clang!’ It doesn’t change what happened to me and how I was treated back then.”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ore-seriously-
Old 12-01-2021, 04:50 PM   #489
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Bump.

This is probably worth posting. This is a pretty remarkable statement being made on the floor of Congress today.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1466139425029730321

For some background context, Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., introduced an amendment to the Fiscal Year 2022 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) that would dramatically transform the US Government's approach to unidentified aerial phenomena (UAP, formally known as UFO's). If approved, it would mandate unprecedented government transparency on the UFO phenomenon, and mark a historic shift in how the government treats the issue by drawing upon scientific expertise and demanding analytic objectivity.

Republican Tim Burchett made a statement against the Pentagon creating their new UFO office, which wants to create the Airborne Object Identification and Management Synchronization Group (AOIMSG) office. It would basically make the DoD the sole UFO investigator with no required public accountability. It looks to have been an attempt to stymie the Gillibrand amendment.

Will be interesting to see where this goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 09:56 PM   #490
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recently listened to this on audiobook.

https://www.amazon.ca/Area-51-Uncens.../dp/0316202304

TLDR: Area 51 and area is mostly spy planes and nuke tests, but there are some pretty juicy allegations in the last chapter or two. A lot of talk about UFOs throughout and the agencies involved.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:59 AM   #491
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

TLDR: Area 51 and area is mostly spy planes and nuke tests, but there are some pretty juicy allegations in the last chapter or two. A lot of talk about UFOs throughout and the agencies involved.
Some of the most interesting stories involve Wright Patterson Airforce Base in Dayton, Ohio. It seems to have quite the history in UFO lore, including being the home of Project Sign, which was a government program directed at studying UFOs.

The UAP file has really taken off this year in terms of activity, including recent comments from Head of NASA Bill Nelson and Director of National Intelligence Avril Haines that the extraterrestrial option is on the table. This is a huge shift in terms of words, tone, and appetite for "disclosure", at least from a U.S. governmental perspective.

Bill Nelson believes they likely exist, including the possibility of multi-verses:
The head of NASA says life probably exists outside Earth

Avril Haines - and her predecessor John Ratcliffe - both admit to the possibility of UAP being behind some crazy things they see in the sky:
In dramatic shift, national intelligence director does not rule out 'extraterrestrial' origins for UFOs

Then you are getting more and more servicemen coming forward admitting some weird #### they see in the sky almost regularly as previously discussed.

New York Times: Navy Reports Describe Encounters With Unexplained Flying Objects

One incident, on March 26, 2014, over the Atlantic Ocean off Virginia Beach, involved a silver object “approximately the size of a suitcase” that was tracked on radar passing within 1,000 feet of one of the jets, according to the report.

Some of the incidents involved fighter squadrons aboard the aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt. One of the former F/A-18 Super Hornet pilots, Lt. Ryan Graves, last year described a close encounter off Virginia Beach with what looked like a flying sphere encasing a cube, as recounted by a fellow pilot and later reported to the squadron safety officer.

Whatever these things are, the impetus is based around national security and the possibility of mid-air collisions or encounters, as well as these objectives routinely violating U.S. airspace.

They could be drones, could be missiles, could be private tech, or something else - but whatever it is, there's probably good grounds to start investigating properly with funding that applies proper scientific methods.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:26 AM   #492
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

There are several really good books on the role of Area 51 and Skunkworks and some of the deception campaigns that they ran to fool Soviet efforts to spy on what they were doing.

But Area 51 was a primary test bed facility for them and we've seen some wild and at times alien looking craft come out of it. Hypersonic drones, Stealth Bombers and Fights, The theoretical Aurora hypersonic spy plane.

Even the protocol for people working on the projects was extremely security conscious.

If the American's had captured Aliens, I doubt that they would put them into a place that's that accessible, I would think they would be in a underground Mountain base that nobody could get at without a stealthy aircraft or helicopter. Or at the bottom of the ocean. They wouldn't put it in the desert and fly UFO's out of it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 06:29 PM   #493
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Reading this thread, one thing I can't get out of my head is that most of this stuff just seems to fail on conventional logic. Like we're taking something unlikely (aliens, or even advanced military technology) and applying even more unlikely scenarios to it to make it possible.

If it were aliens, let's say. We have to believe that:
1. They've smart enough to develop these things
2. They're smart enough to travel here
3. They know enough about us, our technology, our vision, etc, to avoid being discovered
4. They're smart enough not to be discovered

Great, but we also have to recognize:
1. They're not smart enough to be entirely undiscovered/unseen OR
2. They don't care if they're discovered

If it's 1: that seems to defy logic. You have the technology to do all this, but don't have technology to avoid being discovered, doesn't make sense.

If it's 2: then why aren't they more obvious, doesn't make sense

It just fails common sense. They either understand the value of being undiscovered and, despite this advanced technology, can't fully achieve that. Or they don't care, and somehow have mostly avoided it for no other reason than luck. This rings true for both aliens and advanced human tech.

It just seems like people want to believe in something magical. Which is fine, too. But it's most likely just trick of the light, or something. One of the 100 more likely explanations.
Thank you.

Just discovered this thread, so I apologize for the tardy response, but I felt I had to jump in and comment.

First off, let me say that I am all for aliens! I mean, discovering that there are alien beings would be the coolest thing ever! - or at least the coolest thing since getting my first car. And while I may be naive and optimistic, I believe the discovery would unite humanity, in an 'us against the universe' kind of way. So, hell yes, I want to believe! I really want there to be aliens!

But the entire enterprise (to date) has been a giant farce and a complete failure of logic. None of it makes any kind of sense whatsoever.

So you're this advanced species living on your homeworld in the gamma quadrant somewhere, and you have the technology to travel across the galaxy, why would you? Why would you take the time to invent the technology, build the ships, and then get in them and travel mind-numbing distances, in hopes of finding other inhabited planets out there?

I think the two most obvious and powerful reasons are: to eat them, or to meet them.

The first one is probably better labeled as predatory: either you are searching for food, or for resources. But either way, if that were their intent, we would already know (and likely be extinct). So we can unequivocally rule that one out.

The second one is maybe best described as 'curious', i.e. they are out to discover if there are other intelligent life forms out there. Okay, so why not say hello? Long way to come, just to creep on us a bit.

Well, you say, maybe they don't want to disturb us or frighten us. Maybe they think we're not ready. You know, the whole 'prime directive' thing. Okay, since that is the only plausible explanation for their behavior, let's expand on that.

1) they have the technology to fly across the galaxy (or at least significant chunks of it). Okay, so they build these tiny little ships (roughly the size of a weather balloon, which seems oddly inefficient to me, but whatever) to travel for lightyears, simply to buzz around on our planet and not actually do anything, or even introduce themselves.

2) they do this in secret (we have covered why). But it turns out that they aren't particularly good at keeping the secret, which seems odd to me, given their ability to fly across the galaxy in little ships that are smaller than your living room. I mean they're pretty good, in that they tend to only got spotted by people who make crappy witnesses (for the most part), and by people who either don't have a camera, or have a camera that appears to be as effective as a potato. Pretty good, but far from perfect.

3) they keep doing this for decades. Think about this. The current narrative is that this has been going on since Roswell, about 70 years ago. And many people believe that it may have been going on for thousands of years! So again, I say, these creatures build these little ships, fly all the way over here, and don't introduce themselves but instead, buzz around us in secret. (Some people think maybe they helped ancient peoples build some cool buildings, but nothing lately - an unfortunate change of plans, there). And they keep on doing it. For decades, or possibly even millennia.

Why?

To observe us, you say. I say we aren't that interesting. Certainly not interesting enough for them to come all this way, just so they could spend decades taking a few pics and maybe messing with the occasional confused bystander.

Doesn't add up. I mean, if they're waiting until we're ready, why not leave and come back a long time from now? (because we clearly aren't ready yet)

And then there is the human side of the equation. Why is the government covering it up? Who does this serve? How have there been no leaks over the course of decades? And why are almost all the sightings in and around the US? Do the aliens have a thing for Americans? If the US government is trying to cover the whole thing up, why not buzz some other countries? Have you been to the south of France or the Spanish coast? If they came here to meet girls, maybe check out Prague. Or Moscow.

It seems to me that if they don't want to be known, that they, the aliens, would be able to execute on that strategy. And more importantly, if they failed, there is no way it could be kept secret. Certainly not multiple episodes, spanning decades! But the government is keeping it secret, you say. Basically, we are supposed to believe that the government is better at keeping the secret than the aliens are! The government! Donald Trump was elected President of that government. Ted Cruz is an active, high ranking member of it. They are keeping it a secret! And they're (mostly) succeeding. That might be the most preposterous claim of all!

None of it adds up. None of it. But goddamn it would be cool if it were true!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:55 PM   #494
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

You are discounting the multiverse theory; an ability to interact from a 4th dimension existence. Time does not have to be linear; that's a construct based in Newtonian physics. Bill Nelson alluded to this possibility, as well as folks like Lue Elizondo and Michio Kaku.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 07:00 PM   #495
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Should also add there is a definite chance if these craft are real, they might very well be von Neumann probes, are visible only under infrared light, detectable at certain electromagnetic frequencies, and have been here for a while.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:06 PM   #496
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
You are discounting the multiverse theory; an ability to interact from a 4th dimension existence. Time does not have to be linear; that's a construct based in Newtonian physics. Bill Nelson alluded to this possibility, as well as folks like Lue Elizondo and Michio Kaku.
None of this provides any reasons or answers. All we ever get is explaining away the incongruous. Cool, they interact from a 4th dimension - so do so. The cats will hear you.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:12 PM   #497
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

I'm not saying it's not ludicrous sounding, I'm just saying that your logic and why it's unexplainable is no less ludicrous than anything else.

Maybe this whole thing can't simply be explained with human logic.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 08:25 PM   #498
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's a Documentary i watched recently, The.Phenomenon (2020). Check it out if you're bored. There was one incident that I find fairly convincing.

The incident had 62 eye witnesses, school children in Zimbabwe in 1994:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel_School_UFO_incident

I don't believe 62 children could make up something like this, all their witness accounts matched up. They interviewed some of the students in the documentary, grown up of course, and they still claim it did happen.

I firmly believe we have had visitors, it's mathematically impossible that earth is the only planet with intelligent life.

The posters who said "why would they travel so far just to look around" with the technology they have travel to earth could be very easy for all we know. I think it's plausible that they would come here to explore and study without "eating or greeting" us. I wish they would greet us, I hope it happens in my lifetime, that would be amazing.
Flames_Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames_Gimp For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 08:29 PM   #499
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I'm not saying it's not ludicrous sounding, I'm just saying that your logic and why it's unexplainable is no less ludicrous than anything else.

Maybe this whole thing can't simply be explained with human logic.
Maybe. But even if we just focus on the human side of it, it's still as porous as a sieve. The entire history of UFA claims is one long National Enquirer edition.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 08:31 PM   #500
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I forgot to add, another incident:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonnie_Zamora_incident

In the documentary they showed the photos from the investigation. Was interesting anyways.
Flames_Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote