Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2017, 02:28 PM   #181
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thought BT's comments about Janko going down and not sulking were interesting. The fact that he went down after a strong preseason and never skipped a beat. I hope Bennett heard some of this because he is capable of playing a lot better than has been.... That's not saying that Bennett is not trying or that his confidence isn't shaken, but Bennett doesn't seem nearly as hungry dominant as he was a couple of years ago. Hopefully some decent line-mates will get him back to his old self.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:32 PM   #182
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Thought BT's comments about Janko going down and not sulking were interesting. The fact that he went down after a strong preseason and never skipped a beat. I hope Bennett heard some of this because he is capable of playing a lot better than has been.... That's not saying that Bennett is not trying or that his confidence isn't shaken, but Bennett doesn't seem nearly as hungry dominant as he was a couple of years ago. Hopefully some decent line-mates will get him back to his old self.
I might be wrong, but it seemed to me that it was a bit of a shot at some of the older prospects (E.g. Shinkaruk, Wotherspoon).
jaikorven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jaikorven For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2017, 02:55 PM   #183
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaikorven View Post
I might be wrong, but it seemed to me that it was a bit of a shot at some of the older prospects (E.g. Shinkaruk, Wotherspoon).
You're not wrong at all. The GM realizes that not calling Jankowski up at this point and time would have been a complete farce given how others have performed after being sent down recently.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:59 PM   #184
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Mikey and Marky.
Marky, Ricky, Danny, Terry, Mikey, Davey, Timmy, Tommy, Joey, Robby, Johnny, and Brian.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2017, 03:08 PM   #185
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaikorven View Post

Initially that was my thought too, so you might be right! He is primarly talking about Jankos attitude and effort. It just made me think about Bennett and the fact that he hasn't taken this by the horns and shown that extra gear. When your not being a difference maker in the right way or even getting shots on the net, "5 shots in 8 games". The Flames have given Bennett a huge opportunity but now that he is on the wing I am hoping we see vintage Bennett.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:11 PM   #186
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
It's a perfect storm for Bennett right now. He's a guy who believes that he should be a difference-maker (which is good), but gets in his own head very easily when he doesn't dominate night in and night out (which is bad). This gets in the way of him getting off the snide. So he'll try to be aggressive to try to get involved in the play, but this leads to him taking bad penalties, so then he starts thinking about not taking bad penalties.

Anybody who has done an activity where you need to be "in the zone" can tell you that when you're so far up your own ass, you don't even know what the area code for the zone is, and your performance is going to be awful.

Dude needs a couple of bounces. He also needs to learn how to expect a lot from himself, but also to take it easy on himself when he's not getting on the scoresheet provided he is otherwise playing well.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:24 PM   #187
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whenever Bennett does put up points, doesn't he just go beast mode? He seems like a player that just goes hot and cold, and for right now seems to be hitting a lot of the cold. I think him on the wing will do wonders. Assuming Jankowski stays, I like Bennett as a 2C/3C option if one of Monahan/Backlund/Jankowski go down.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:27 PM   #188
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
Anybody who has done an activity where you need to be "in the zone" can tell you that when you're so far up your own ass, you don't even know what the area code for the zone is, and your performance is going to be awful.
Beautifully put.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:56 PM   #189
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Lines at practice:

News Update

Aaron Vickers @AAVickers

#Flames lines:
Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland;
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik;
Versteeg-Stajan-Brouwer;
Jankowski-Bennett-Lazar

Aaron Vickers @AAVickers
Replying to @AAVickers
Looks like Jankowski might actually be centering that line with Bennett on the wing.

edit: Steinberg reporting slightly different

Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
now
#Flames lines today:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Stajan-Brouwer
Bennett-Jankowski-Lazar

Glenn Campbell @CTVGCampbell
Jankowski at centre, Bennett on the wing.
Was there any word on the 3rd defensive pairing? I'm curious if Kulak gets a longer look there.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:01 PM   #190
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's a perfect storm for Bennett right now. He's a guy who believes that he should be a difference-maker (which is good), but gets in his own head very easily when he doesn't dominate night in and night out (which is bad). This gets in the way of him getting off the snide. So he'll try to be aggressive to try to get involved in the play, but this leads to him taking bad penalties, so then he starts thinking about not taking bad penalties.

Dude needs a couple of bounces. He also needs to learn how to expect a lot from himself, but also to take it easy on himself when he's not getting on the scoresheet provided he is otherwise playing well.
This is what I see too.

A guy who is thinking too much. Thinking too much about putting up points. Thinking too much about needing to play with an "Edge". And thinking too much about where he needs to be in the defensive zone.

Which means he is thinking instead of reacting and just using his natural instincts.

Hopefully with a couple of guys who play a quick game (Lazar, Janko) and with Janko being able to take more of the defensive responsibility, we can see Bennett show more of the raw skill that he showed as a junior player.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2017, 04:19 PM   #191
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The best case scenario is a situation similar to Cody Bellinger with the Dodgers in baseball. Many thought he should've been on the opening day roster but the team decided he was going to be a September call up. An injury occured, Bellinger came in and the team's record took off (not to mention Bellinger's numbers).

I think Jankowski, Bennett and Lazar is a very promising line and could be the boost to each others games that take them to another level.

A minor quibble I have with Gulutzan, and it's probably insignificant but I wish his messaging would be a little different. I've noticed the last thing in his message is to be defensive or watch out for the other players. I realize its important to say that but I wish the last message he leaves is for his guys to play aggressive. He said with Jankowski - play free but watch out and he said in the first game too - watch out for McDavid. I just don't like the last words having guys thinking about what the opponent does. Say those things first and finish with playing free and aggressive. Just my preference.

I hope these guys come out like lions wanting to pounce, on their toes, decisive and aggressive.

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 10-23-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2017, 04:26 PM   #192
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Ferland gets a reprieve being moved back up to the top line. Let's see if he takes advantage of it. The team needs Full-Time Ferly.

I'd have been tempted to slot Lazar on the top line.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:39 PM   #193
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

The NHL is all about finding pairs that work. I think these work:

Gaudreau - Monahan
Frolik - Backlund

Everyone other pair is up in the air at this point. What we have seen work in the past with fairly high success - at least through long stretches - was this:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik

That, to me, is the 'safe' top six to come out with tomorrow. Yes, Ferland hasn't lit it up yet playing with those two, and the 3M line hasn't been 'on', but that worked for long stretches last year. Everyone knows what they are doing in the top 6. I think the 3M line isn't clicking because Backlund isn't quite himself for whatever reason, but I don't think there is any other player on the entire roster I worry about less. Ferland will come around sooner rather than later, I expect.

Now, as for pairs, I want to see Bennett and Jankowski together. If you read the NHL.com article, Jankowski really liked playing with Mangiapane and Hathaway (forming the AHL's most potent line thus far, by the way) because they forechecked hard and dug pucks out. Bennett and Lazar should be good for that.

I say Versteeg should be demoted to the 4th line personally. He has been a giveaway machine and hasn't been his usual self at creating out there, sans the PP (which he has been creating, but also turning pucks over). Either way, Bennett and Lazar (or Ferland) seem like the most similar to what Jankowski felt good with in the AHL. So the top 3 lines in this way will HOPEFULLY benefit from a sense of familiarity.

I do think that Bennett is top-line material. However, I also believe Jankowski to be top-line material too. I really do think that he can be a #1 center, and I argued with everyone's favorite Moon over this fact years ago. Jankowski is probably the Flames most 'dynamic' center organizationally, meaning that he does quite a number of things quite well.

I think his vision and playmaking (if not already) will be the best on the Flames. He is a traditional type of center in that he is a playmaking center, but is more than capable of scoring goals himself. He is fantastic in the new NHL with puck-possession being so important, and his puck protection is quite good (and hopefully Jagr can get in his ear during some practices to make it even more top-notch).

What I love most about Jankowski's play is how he uses his stick so effectively to create plays around or through players. It is very Mario Lemieux-like, and even Jagr like in that respect (and of course, here is the disclaimer that it is a style comparison only, not an expectation of career numbers).

He is also great at finding open space and shooting it, he is great at carrying the puck, he is great at finding guys through traffic with a nice pass, and he is great at coming back on defence. I really do think that in a couple of years, he will be very difficult for opposing teams to handle once he gains more experience and puts on a bit more muscle.

If I am the Flames, getting him up to speed at center would be really high on my list, especially with how poorly the depth scoring is contributing. Pair him with Bennett (or Tkachuk at least) and go from there. I don't think you will see Jankowski return to the AHL if he gets 2-3 games in and loosens up (if he is wound-up at all to begin with). Lines will get really interesting when Jagr gets back.

I still don't want Tkachuk on the top line with Gaudreau. Ferland doesn't do what Tkachuk does at all. Ferland has stepped-in when there was a need to step in, but he is not causing anything. Sure, Gaudreau wouldn't be fighting anyone, but there is still an increased level of risk of an injury having him out there wrestling guys. Backlund and Frolik have done it without fighting, and I also expect Gaudreau wouldn't be fighting either, but I do think it would actually throw him off his game somewhat and possibly end in an injury by wrestling around on the ice too much.

When Jagr returns, I would expect the lines to be more or less this way:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Jagr
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - Ferland
Versteeg - Lazar - Brouwer
Stajan

I think Stajan and Lazar end up subbing in and out. That looks like a really nice lineup to me, at least when Jagr gets going a little bit more (which, in my opinion, he was starting to look better and better every game).

I really doubt that Jankowski will ever play in the AHL again.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2017, 05:08 PM   #194
JJFlash
Backup Goalie

Exp:

If you do 't like the line up...wait 5 minutes.
JJFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JJFlash For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2017, 05:32 PM   #195
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

Dude that is spot on.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2017, 05:42 PM   #196
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm excited
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:48 PM   #197
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I really doubt that Jankowski will ever play in the AHL again.
I hope Jankowski does really well. I do.

But I'll take that bet.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:49 PM   #198
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
  1. Mikael
  2. Micheal
  3. Michael
  4. Michael
  5. Mike
  6. Matthew
  7. Matt
  8. Matt
  9. Mark
  10. Mark

If Bartkowski gets back in the lineup tomorrow, half the roster will be either Mike, Matt, or Mark.

drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drewtastic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2017, 05:53 PM   #199
1Nite
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Since this is THE Jankowski thread, can we start talking about Bennett?

The draft position is a big difference, but so is age with Jankowski being two years older, so he should be more "riper" of the two. One thing about Bennett, does he look slower, not slow but slower? On the Flames site it says that he is 200lbs, which is good for being 6'1", but maybe that more weight has slowed him down just a touch, and thrown his game off somewhat, in addition to the mental part of the game. If this moves ends up working out, the Flames gain two good top nine forwards. That line with Lazar, could be called the "first line" as in drafted first round.
Edit: Bah, 3M line also all first rounders.

Last edited by 1Nite; 10-23-2017 at 05:57 PM.
1Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:32 PM   #200
JJFlash
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The fact that the Flames are using Janko as the Center on the 3rd line shows commitment and that the organization is starting to get it. I agree that Janko never goes back to the AHL
unless they get goofy and move him to the 4th line. Give him the platform to succeed and he can move in with Jagr.
JJFlash is offline   Reply With Quote