Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-22-2017, 10:38 AM   #1
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Gaudreau's decline as a goal scorer

In his first 81GP Gaudreau had 25G as a rookie
In his first playoffs Gaudreau had 4G in 11 GP (30G pace)
In 2015-16 Gaudreau had 30G in 79GP
In 83GP since then(RS+PO), Gaudreau has 20G. Very rarely does he even seem to be a threat to score a goal.

Is this just variance? Or do you feel Gaudreau isn't much of a goal scoring threat any more?

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-22-2017 at 10:46 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:40 AM   #2
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would help if he shot. Always pass first. Makes some good passes though.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:42 AM   #3
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

He has a very good wrist shot but he always tries to make the fancy play. He could be a 30+ goal scorer every year if he shot when he had good looks but he almost always tries to make that perfect play. Amazing passer but he needs to be more selfish to reach his true potential.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #4
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

His shooting percentage has averaged around 13% in his career. Last season it dropped to 8-9% which is bound to revert because it places him in 3rd line mucker territory. Either way he’s not really an elite goalscorer, he’s an elite playmaker who happens to score goals. Good thing he plays with one of the top snipers in the league.

Note that he’s tied for 11th in the league for points.

Real dramatic thread title tho!
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:48 AM   #5
Justin
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
It would help if he shot. Always pass first. Makes some good passes though.
Seconded.

Gaudreau is constantly looking for:
1. Cross ice pass
2. Drop pass to the blue line
3. Pass to Monahan in the slot

Sometimes the best option to score a goal is to throw the puck on net, or shoot for the goalies pads and crash for a rebound.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:00 AM   #6
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This issue relates to what I see in his giveaways. He's trying to do much instead of just getting it done. The creativity and ooh moves are great when they work but he tries to do it way way too much. Bad habits that are getting worse the more he plays. You can bet that Daryl Sutter or Mike Babcock or Joel Queenville wouldn't tolerate that kind of nonsense. He doesn't score much because he always looks to pass or stickhandle it into the net. Even has the goalie beat but refuses to flip it over him because he wants to slide it in on the ice between the goalie's legs. All that's only mildly frustrating though.

What really concerns me is the kind of giveaway that led to the winning goal last night. Very high risk low reward to get it through the man just over the blueline. Totally unnecessary and no situational awareness in trying that there. That's the kind on nonsense that would get Josh Ho-Sang benched at the age of 18.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fan in Exile For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2017, 11:05 AM   #7
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As long as the points are there it doesn’t really matter to me personally whether or not they are goals or assists. I always thought with the way he plays he’d likely be more of passer than a goal scorer anyway. Regardless, he’s had opportunities this season, if he converted on either the breakaway he had in Vancouver or the post he hit last night, he’d be on pace for 30 right now and we probably wouldn’t be having this conversation.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2017, 11:19 AM   #8
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
This issue relates to what I see in his giveaways. He's trying to do much instead of just getting it done. The creativity and ooh moves are great when they work but he tries to do it way way too much. Bad habits that are getting worse the more he plays. You can bet that Daryl Sutter or Mike Babcock or Joel Queenville wouldn't tolerate that kind of nonsense. He doesn't score much because he always looks to pass or stickhandle it into the net. Even has the goalie beat but refuses to flip it over him because he wants to slide it in on the ice between the goalie's legs. All that's only mildly frustrating though.

What really concerns me is the kind of giveaway that led to the winning goal last night. Very high risk low reward to get it through the man just over the blueline. Totally unnecessary and no situational awareness in trying that there. That's the kind on nonsense that would get Josh Ho-Sang benched at the age of 18.
Giveaways will likely always be an issue and this isn’t exclusive to just him. Star players and players who carry the puck a lot generally have higher turnover numbers. Just look at who’s at the top, Brent Burns lead the league in turnovers by a mile and he won the Norris, #2 is Karlsson and he may be the best defenseman in the league. Joe Pavelski, Brad Marchand, John Tavares and etc aren’t too far behind Johnny either.

Star players turn pucks over, that’s just the way it is and you take the good with the bad and hope that the amount of good they create far exceeds the bad. The kid is still young and I suspect that the older he gets and the more experience he gains, he’ll recognize how not to turn the puck over as often and when not to turn the puck over.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2017, 11:23 AM   #9
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
In his first 81GP Gaudreau had 25G as a rookie
In his first playoffs Gaudreau had 4G in 11 GP (30G pace)
In 2015-16 Gaudreau had 30G in 79GP
In 83GP since then(RS+PO), Gaudreau has 20G. Very rarely does he even seem to be a threat to score a goal.

Is this just variance? Or do you feel Gaudreau isn't much of a goal scoring threat any more?
Gluegun was hired in the summer of 2016. Johnny's performance seems distinct between the pre-Glen Gulutzan era and the Gulutzan era were in now.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #10
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau currently has 2G and 9A in 8 games - good for 1.375PPG, on pace to set a career best.

Monahan currently has 5G, 3A in 8 games - good for a 1.0PPG, on pace to set a career best.

So yeah, perhaps Johnny isn't shooting as much - but he's helping Monahan play the best offensive hockey of his career. Johnny is an offensive threat. He'll score when he has the chance, but he is an elite playmaking winger.

Last edited by ComixZone; 10-22-2017 at 11:49 AM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #11
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Giveaways will likely always be an issue and this isn’t exclusive to just him. Star players and players who carry the puck a lot generally have higher turnover numbers. Just look at who’s at the top, Brent Burns lead the league in turnovers by a mile and he won the Norris, #2 is Karlsson and he may be the best defenseman in the league. Joe Pavelski, Brad Marchand, John Tavares and etc aren’t too far behind Johnny either.

Star players turn pucks over, that’s just the way it is and you take the good with the bad and hope that the amount of good they create far exceeds the bad. The kid is still young and I suspect that the older he gets and the more experience he gains, he’ll recognize how not to turn the puck over as often and when not to turn the puck over.
I'm okay with giveways when he's trying to make things happen in the offensive zone, and/or when the Flames are behind or when there's a high reward to what he's trying to do. My concern is with giveaways like the one last night. Wrong time wrong place. No reward to what he was trying to do anyway that couldn't be accomplished by a simpler safer pass.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:11 PM   #12
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Joe Thornton and Henrik Sedin couldnt score enough.... really held back their careers
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2017, 12:20 PM   #13
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

GG is th problem.
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:21 PM   #14
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Best start of his career and this thread gets started. Wth
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:26 PM   #15
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Icon46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
I'm okay with giveways when he's trying to make things happen in the offensive zone, and/or when the Flames are behind or when there's a high reward to what he's trying to do. My concern is with giveaways like the one last night. Wrong time wrong place. No reward to what he was trying to do anyway that couldn't be accomplished by a simpler safer pass.
I chalk that up to youthful exuberance right now. Every time he has the puck on his stick he tries to create a grade A scoring chance. He’s an elite playmaker and I’m not about to second guess players with his hockey iq and ability. But I think with growth and experience and the occasional talk with the coach, he’ll learn to pull the reigns in during crucial times.

But as for his performance so far, I think he’s the least of the Flames’ worries. He’s drawn a lot of power plays and has accounted for 55% of his team’s goals. He has figured in on 11 goals and the rest of the team has 9. He deserves his fair share of criticism, but others deserve more blame for these losses right now. The entire bottom 6 right now just eat up time and try to keep their head above water. No one else has stepped up to try and turn the tide our way or effect the game positively. They’re kind of just...there.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:34 PM   #16
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't the stick he used for years get discontinued? I wonder if that's a factor at all as I recall it had some unique attributes.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:39 PM   #17
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

He is also likely receiving more attention from the other teams better defensive players

Maybe they need to put a skittles dispenser on the bench
Old 10-22-2017, 01:20 PM   #18
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shoot the puck!!!

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:23 PM   #19
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's got 11 points in 8 games. Just because he isn't the one putting the puck in the net doesn't mean he isn't a threat. He's been fantastic so far.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2017, 01:44 PM   #20
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
GG is th problem.
Do you have to say this in every thread? I thought you were jumping ship to the Oilers after last years playoffs exit, what happened with that? Go hang out with them and tell them TM is the problem.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post: