Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2017, 12:32 PM   #21
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sign Backlund

Trade Monahan for young cheap scoring winger (Toffoli+? Silfverberg+? Etc)

7x$10 to Tavares

Tavares is worth 3.75 million more than Monahan imo, unless he starts showing something this year

The Blues should have done this last year as well, should have signed shattenkirk and traded parayko for a 1c
Old 10-10-2017, 12:40 PM   #22
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If Tavares is available, you move heaven and earth to sign him, and if that means losing Backlund so be it. But I think in the context of this thread, you can still re-sign him and if Tavares wants to be a Flame you'll have plenty of takers if you make Backlund available.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:43 PM   #23
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

every team in the league wants Tavares I don't think you can bank on getting him here

especially with the future of the club in question
Old 10-10-2017, 12:43 PM   #24
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Tavares talk is very speculative but obviously he's gonna be available, just looking at the Flames roster currently and if the Flames have a good year I do think this is an enticing place for him to play. Will be interesting
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:48 PM   #25
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Backlund should be a priority. He's the most important center on this team and is still relatively young.

6x$5 million and let's get it done.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:48 PM   #26
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Sign Backlund

Trade Monahan for young cheap scoring winger (Toffoli+? Silfverberg+? Etc)

7x$10 to Tavares

Tavares is worth 3.75 million more than Monahan imo, unless he starts showing something this year

The Blues should have done this last year as well, should have signed shattenkirk and traded parayko for a 1c
30 goal scorer and leading scorer from his draft "starts showing something"
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to colbym72 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 12:50 PM   #27
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
30 goal scorer and leading scorer from his draft "starts showing something"
leading goal scorer from his draft years needs to show up lol
Old 10-10-2017, 12:52 PM   #28
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
If Bennett doesn't take step forward this year, I'd be open to trading him and keeping Backlund at ~$5.5M-$6M.
Even if he doesn't take that step this year trading Sam Bennett would be a huge mistake because he will break out, it is a matter of time.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:54 PM   #29
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where is this Tavares talk coming from??? The guy has repeatedly said he wants to stay with the Islanders, does anyone actually think they are going to let him walk???
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #30
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
Can we afford him? Probably not.
Not sure why that is?

With Stajan gone next year all the Flames need to do is jettison Brouwer and they open up nearly 8M in cap space. Backlund is already making 3.5M so another 2M on his AAV isn't that big of an increase.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:57 PM   #31
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Even if he doesn't take that step this year trading Sam Bennett would be a huge mistake because he will break out, it is a matter of time.
Maybe. Maybe not. Not all top 4 picks break out. I hope he does as he's my favourite Flame.
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #32
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Where is this Tavares talk coming from??? The guy has repeatedly said he wants to stay with the Islanders, does anyone actually think they are going to let him walk???
Why isn't he signed already? Actions speak louder than words. Question he has to ask himself does he want to stay with the Islanders or have a chance for a Stanley Cup?

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 02:00 PM   #33
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Why isn't he signed already? Actions speak louder than words. Question he has to ask himself does he want to stay with the Islanders or have a chance for a Stanley Cup?
Because they will bargain until both sides agree or the Isles cave. Not even Garth Snow is dumb enough to not get Tavares locked up. Remember when everyone thought Stamkos would hit the market and he didn't even say he wanted to stay like Tavares has? Either he will sign which is almost a certainty or Snow will get an unreal haul via trade. There is zero chance he is just allowed to walk.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:38 PM   #34
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because they will bargain until both sides agree or the Isles cave. Not even Garth Snow is dumb enough to not get Tavares locked up. Remember when everyone thought Stamkos would hit the market and he didn't even say he wanted to stay like Tavares has? Either he will sign which is almost a certainty or Snow will get an unreal haul via trade. There is zero chance he is just allowed to walk.
Yeah, this happens every year with someone. What top shelf player has ever made it to UFA? I can't recall the last one. At the very most their rights are traded to someone shortly before the deadline (a team who is going to give the player what they want). I go back to Neidermayer, Chara or Stevens to find a really big UFA signing that actually worked.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:40 PM   #35
Wyguy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
icon53

Quote:
It doesn't matter f they sent him out to some team. No matter where they rent him out to, his contract still ends and he will be a free agent.
Wyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:13 PM   #36
Krynn
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I truly believe that he's seeing how this year will go and if there competitive around the all-☆ break and are in a play off spot around the trade dead line he will sign back with the team but if there already out of the playoffs by all-☆ break he will be traded at the dead line or at the draft
Krynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:25 PM   #37
Krynn
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

JT has said all good things but we all know players can change there mind in a ♡ Beat.Hell the team really won't have a place to play soon.the nets are going to kick them 2 the curb soon and i heard the nhl Will not let them go back to the old rink and there not gettin a new one there any time soon.i think there will be losing a lot of there players because of all this
Krynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:46 PM   #38
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyguy View Post
It doesn't matter f they sent him out to some team. No matter where they rent him out to, his contract still ends and he will be a free agent.
Who's even talking about renting him out? They'll re-sign him. If Tavares makes it to UFA, their entire front office gets walking papers the next day.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:20 PM   #39
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the sooner you lock Backlund up the better. I hope he signs for a 5x5 but if he is looking for a payday he could get that (+) on term and/or dollar on the open market. Work your magic Brad.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:38 PM   #40
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Resigning Backlund really depends on where you believe he slots in long term. Every dollar overpaid to one player has to come out of the budget elsewhere. So you to make certain you don't overpay with key young players coming up to their next contracts. Take a $70M budget as an example, which is a fair number to use considering the cap and the space you need for call-ups for injuries and such. I would think a healthy budget breakdown is going to look like $40M on forwards, $24M on defense, and $6M on goaltending. So something like this, taking names out the mix.

$7M-$7M-$5M
$3M-$5M-$3M
$2M-$3M-$2M
$1M-$1M-$1M
$.75M-$.75M

$7M-$5M
$4M-$3M
$2M-$1.5M
.75M

$5M
$1M

Coming off the books this summer is Backlund ($3.575M), Stajan ($3.125M), Versteeg ($1.75M), Jagr ($1M), Glass ($.65M)

Start slotting names and numbers for next season, remembering the guys in red are RFAs or UFAs (projected) the following summer and will need new contracts (projected long term).

Forwards ($37.725 with no Backlund)
Gaudreau ($6.75M) - Monahan ($6.375M) - Brouwer ($4.5M)
Tkachuk ($5M) - Backlund ($???) - Frolik ($4.3M)
Mangiapane ($.7) - Bennett ($3M) - Ferland ($2.5M)
Lazar ($1.25M) - Jankowski ($.925M) - Foo ($.925)
Hamilton ($.75M) - Hathaway ($.75M)

Defense ($26M)
Giordano ($6.75M) - Hamilton ($5.75M)
Brodie ($4.65M) - Hamonic ($3.86M)
Stone ($3.5M) - Kulak ($.65M)
Andersson (.75M)

Goaltenders ($5.25M)
Smith ($4.5M)
Gillies ($.75M)

This lineup comes to $68.975M, not counting Backlund On a cap of $75M you might be able to fit Backlund in at $5-5.5, and have just enough for injuries. That's running a pretty tight ship with a lot of youth. Just an example of how tight the budget is, and where Backlund would fit. If Bennett does look to be breaking out this season, Backlund is gone, unless the Flames can somehow move Brouwer.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote