Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2017, 02:03 PM   #1981
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I started watching Shameless on the weekend. Finished the first season. Really good so far! I am enjoying it.

Does it hold up over the 6 seasons or does it fall off?
The US or the British?

I've heard the British version doesn't hold up nearly as well, but the US version keeps getting crazier and crazier. Just when you think someone is going to get their life together, things just get worse for them.

Speaking of which, new episodes are back in two weeks (on tv, not Netflix), which means season 7 should be showing up on Netflix soon.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:38 PM   #1982
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have difficulty with British accents so a British show has to be really good to hold my interest. Right now Luther is that show; it's on Netflix. I'm also amazed how many actors who make it over here are British. The Walking Dead is a good example.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:01 PM   #1983
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
The US or the British?

I've heard the British version doesn't hold up nearly as well, but the US version keeps getting crazier and crazier. Just when you think someone is going to get their life together, things just get worse for them.

Speaking of which, new episodes are back in two weeks (on tv, not Netflix), which means season 7 should be showing up on Netflix soon.
US version. I can't enjoy any British show to be honest, have not seen any of the British Shameless though.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:06 PM   #1984
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
US version. I can't enjoy any British show to be honest, have not seen any of the British Shameless though.
Some translate better than others. I think it's just the quality of the writing and acting. I prefer the US version of the Office, but some British detective shows like Prime Suspect are much better than the US version.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:08 PM   #1985
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
I see they just added Fargo, I'm happy to have a chance to watch this show.
I wasn't wild about the first season, but watched the whole thing, loved the second season, and stopped witching the third season after 3 or 4 episodes.

YMMV with each season independent of the others
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 07:01 PM   #1986
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Life in Pieces Season 2!!!!!
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:44 PM   #1987
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Netflix is turning crappy quickly. Their original stuff is good but they aren't putting anything good on. It seems like the only new stuff going on there is Asian. It's getting out of hand IMO. Before they used to release actual movies but they haven't put anything good on in a while.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:56 PM   #1988
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's only going to get worse. Netflix pretty much admits they're getting out of the business of buying other people's shows.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:29 PM   #1989
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Netflix is pretty much on par with HBO for in-house content, but it's cheaper than HBO Go and happens to have some other stuff too. I'm not getting rid of it anytime soon
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:13 PM   #1990
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Is there "best movies" lists out there for Netflix Canada that are actually helpful? There's a ton out there for the American version. It's ridiculous to try to sort through everything they have trying to find something.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 12:43 PM   #1991
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Is there "best movies" lists out there for Netflix Canada that are actually helpful? There's a ton out there for the American version. It's ridiculous to try to sort through everything they have trying to find something.
JustWatch is a decent search tool for online movies. Just select what you subscribe to. I use the app and the webpage all the time
Old 11-19-2017, 08:56 PM   #1992
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

so, maybe this is common knowledge.. but apparently for your web viewing... netflix doesnt go up 1080p in firefox or chrome..!! used safari tonight for binge watching and it was much better..

all those evenings wasted in 720
IrishSpring2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:34 PM   #1993
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Watched the first two episodes of The Punisher, it's exactly what I had hoped it would be. Watching Frank go to work at the end of episode 1 was amazing
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2017, 04:39 PM   #1994
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Watched the first two episodes of The Punisher, it's exactly what I had hoped it would be. Watching Frank go to work at the end of episode 1 was amazing
I binge-watched this.

There's a lot of love out there for Daredevil and Jessica Jones, but I'm likely in the minority in that I thought DD was ok and JJ was less than ok (but not terrible).

Iron Fist was bad, The Defenders was forgettable, and Luke Cage was not good as well. Why did I watch all of these shows? Mostly as background noise while working. I did quite enjoy the world-building aspect of these shows though.

However, I watched The Punisher and enjoyed it. Jon Bernthal is great casting and while he's pretty one note, so is the character. It makes sense. The story arc was fairly independent from the other affiliated shows which was a smart move as they were able to tell his story relatively freely.

It's a solid series. Some wonky characters, meh casting for some, and occassional super-cheesy dialogue. But overall, taking account of story, plot and character... ticks all the boxes for me.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2017, 04:42 PM   #1995
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, yeah this is all amazing and what not, but I think we all want to know when the second half of Fuller House Season two is uploaded.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2017, 04:49 PM   #1996
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I liked Jessica Jones the most of all the Marvel shows, it was a great "cat and mouse" show and I think Killgrave is the best villain Marvel Studios has produced to date (despite having the cheesiest name).
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 02:00 PM   #1997
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else watch saving capitalism yet?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:54 PM   #1998
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Jim and Andy, a doc about the making of the Andy Kaufman biopic Man on the Moon starring Jim Carrey, was really good.

Carrey seems pretty out there, not just in the behind the scenes video taken when they made the movie, but also in the recent interview footage.

But I can't deny that his dedication to the Kaufman and Clifton characters was fascinating to watch.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:04 AM   #1999
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Anyone else watch saving capitalism yet?

Yes, it was okay. I would give it a solid “meh”. It is sort of preaching to the choir documentary, and doesn’t offer any really new insights into political lobbying.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:07 AM   #2000
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Jim and Andy, a doc about the making of the Andy Kaufman biopic Man on the Moon starring Jim Carrey, was really good.

Carrey seems pretty out there, not just in the behind the scenes video taken when they made the movie, but also in the recent interview footage.

But I can't deny that his dedication to the Kaufman and Clifton characters was fascinating to watch.

It made me wonder how he prepared for his other roles. That would be insane to work with an actor like that on a set. “Man on the Moon” was a really good film though, so it worked.