Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2017, 10:46 PM   #61
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Who said anything about actual "numbers"?
The post literally above yours says ‘that’s why his numbers are down’
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:55 PM   #62
JJFlash
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
He has a very good wrist shot but he always tries to make the fancy play. He could be a 30+ goal scorer every year if he shot when he had good looks but he almost always tries to make that perfect play. Amazing passer but he needs to be more selfish to reach his true potential.
Becoming too one dimensional. Pass first and tries to go 5 hole on the breakaway all the time. Has a good wrist shot when he has time but a different story when he is being leaned on. Does not show game breaking ability anymore. I am concerned that he is only a threat on the PP.
JJFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:55 PM   #63
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
What's scary is that Johnny hasn't played his best hockey yet and he's still over a point per game. Could be bad news for the rest of the league
This. I am actually surprised at how many points he has concidering i think there is still another level he can get to.
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:08 PM   #64
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
First unit plays 1-3-1, and Gaudreau is one of the 3. You don't tell your best playmaker to park his arse in front of the net and stay there.
Who said anything about him playing in front of the net? This thread is about Gaudreau scoring goals, clearly playing him down low on the wing would make this thread go away, He has a quick accurate shot but a weak one so playing the point is silly. I think he had 4 or 5 goals at last years WC playing the off wing on the PP, that's where he should be.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:15 PM   #65
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thread is about goals, gets piled on about points.

Makes sense
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:54 PM   #66
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctajones428 View Post
Thread is about goals, gets piled on about points.

Makes sense
The point is that if he's getting the team more goals by passing, then it's an improvement rather than a concern. It's relevant to the discussion.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2017, 04:59 AM   #67
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
Monahan isn't even a one-timer threat from the slot on the powerplay and that's the bare minimum requirement of having an elite shot.
Says who?
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:46 AM   #68
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
Question for the seasoned vets of Calgary Puck.
Is this forum not designed to talk hockey?
Are members encouraged to add to the discussion?
If you don't like the topic, move on.
No need to be rude, or aggressive. Just ignore and move along.
I would like to add: Just ignore and add to the ignore list and move along.

The ignore list has improved my experience of this site dramatically. I still have to read some silly posts that people have quoted, but in general it is much more pleasant. I don't read a hockey forum for constant negativity, it is my time off to relax and enjoy my choice of entertainment! This is a game, and some people can get so worked up about it by expecting immediate, and consistently perfect, results. It can get so frustrating....but not as much as it could be, thanks to the ignore list!
ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ASP#26525 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2017, 09:02 AM   #69
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Says who?
Says almost every guy I listed that's a 40 or 50 goal threat........
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:13 AM   #70
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Monahan has an elite wrister. I actually can't recall a time where I've seen him let a good slapper go. Not saying he can't, but he obviously prefers using his wrist shot. He has a long exaggerated set up before he releases but if he has the time to do so, look out.
He's also shown he can get the shot off quickly when he's in those dirty high traffic areas which combined with his ability to find open space is what makes him so clutch
Old 10-23-2017, 09:25 AM   #71
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think the bigger issue is: Can Monohan and Johnny still take over games?
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:30 AM   #72
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
Probably not.

They will never be Toews and Kane.

But IMO they don't have to be.

In a cap world, the margins are slim. You don't need to be an elite team to contend for the Cup, as no team today is truly elite.

The recent Cup winners have been flawed teams. Even the last Hawks team that one a few years back was flawed, and likely quite so. They won riding 3 d-men and a very good goalie.

Monny and Johnny are good enough to lead a fairly good Calgary team into the playoffs. And given some puck luck, they could go very far, even wining the Cup. Because all teams who win the cup these days get some puck luck.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:38 AM   #73
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
Can Johnny?

Yes

Can Monahan?

If Johnny does
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:23 AM   #74
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Can Johnny?

Yes

Can Monahan?

If Johnny does
I don't understand what Monahan has to do to deserve some credit. The dude pots in goals and we still take him for granted. He was easily the best forward in the playoffs last season. It takes a goal to get an assist.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2017, 11:31 AM   #75
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's fashionable to hate on our own players on CP.

Johnny has 11 pts in in 8 games played. CP response: Goal production is down, time to panic!

Mony: 8 pts in 8 games played, including 5 goals. CP response: Stone hands, can't skate, horrible defensively, longing for a "true" 1C. Time to panic!

I swear if Crosby himself was on this team, people would come up with bogus negatives against him. People throw around the word elite, but in reality there are only 2-3 elite centers in the league and probably about 3 elite wingers in the league. I'd say 2 elite goalies, and everyone else falls into the good or great player category. Flames don't have elite players - neither do the majority of NHL teams. They win with depth, and the Flames have this.

Last edited by CroFlames; 10-23-2017 at 11:56 AM. Reason: spelling
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2017, 11:44 AM   #76
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Johnny Gaudreau declines himself to a career year start
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:36 PM   #77
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
Question for the seasoned vets of Calgary Puck.
Is this forum not designed to talk hockey?
Are members encouraged to add to the discussion?
If you don't like the topic, move on.
No need to be rude, or aggressive. Just ignore and move along.
The existence of an opinion does not automatically earn it the right to be respected.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:39 PM   #78
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---Hatrick--- View Post
Monahan has an elite wrister. I actually can't recall a time where I've seen him let a good slapper go. Not saying he can't, but he obviously prefers using his wrist shot. He has a long exaggerated set up before he releases but if he has the time to do so, look out.
He's also shown he can get the shot off quickly when he's in those dirty high traffic areas which combined with his ability to find open space is what makes him so clutch
Monahan has the best wrister I've seen since Joe Sakic.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:09 PM   #79
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As far as I can tell, the biggest difference is just from the system change between Hartley and Gulutzan. I took a look at all of his goals from the last 2 seasons: 30 goals in 2015-16 under Hartley, and 18 goals in 2016-17 under Gulutzan.

EN Goals
  • 2015-16: 2
  • 2016-17: 2

OT Goals
  • 2015-16: 3
  • 2016-17: 1

I'm going to ignore these - I don't think EN goals matter when assessing goalscoring, and OT is the last thing I'd worry about with Gaudreau. That leaves us with 25 goals in 2015-16, and 15 in 2016-17.

PP Goals
  • 2015-16: 6
  • 2016-17: 2

The first big gap is here. Under Hartley, Gaudreau played on his off-wing on the PP, and spent a lot more time close to the net. Under Gulutzan, he's on his natural side and closer to the blue-line. Both of these contribute to his lack of PP goals. The 2 goals he did score were scored in tight, from the right side: the 5-on-3 goal vs Colorado where he faked going behind the net and the dangle around Hainsey against Pittsburgh where he scored on the wraparound. That leaves us with 19 goals in 2015-16, and 13 goals in 2016-17.

Next, I broke up even-strength goals into 3 categories: turnovers, transition, and sustained pressure. Should be fairly self-explanatory, but just to be sure: if a goal was scored from a chance immediately following a turnover, it's a turnover goal. If a goal was scored immediately following a zone entry, it's a transition goal. Otherwise, it's a sustained pressure goal.

Goals from turnovers
  • 2015-16: 5
  • 2016-17: 0

Goals from transition play
  • 2015-16: 9
  • 2016-17: 8

Goals from sustained pressure
  • 2015-16: 5
  • 2016-17: 5

Here we see another precipitous drop: in 2015-16 he scored 5 goals after turnovers, whereas in 2016-17 he didn't even get one. In terms of transitional play and sustained pressure, he's right in line with where he was previously, even slightly ahead considering he missed 10 games. When comparing the two coaches, I'd definitely say our forecheck under Gulutzan has been less effective - so that's at least partially to blame. I'd also suggest that teams are doing a better job line-matching against Gaudreau, so he's not spending as much time against guys likely to turn the puck over.

So I'd conclude that he's not likely to reach 30 goals again as long as we stay the same as we currently are tactically. However, I don't consider that a problem, since Gaudreau's still putting up points - it's just that his role has shifted into more of a pure playmaker, especially on the powerplay.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kovaz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2017, 01:49 PM   #80
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Who said anything about him playing in front of the net? This thread is about Gaudreau scoring goals, clearly playing him down low on the wing would make this thread go away, He has a quick accurate shot but a weak one so playing the point is silly. I think he had 4 or 5 goals at last years WC playing the off wing on the PP, that's where he should be.
Playing 1-3-1, there is no ‘down low on the wing’ position. Nor is there a traditional point. And you don't play him on his off wing to get more goals for himself when he's getting more goals for teammates by making plays from his natural side.

So far he's got 4 PP assists in 8 games, and the power play is dead average – 18.8%, 15th in the league – in contrast to the team's woeful 5-on-5 offence. I'd say Gaudreau's position on the power play is the least of the team's worries.