Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2021, 09:12 AM   #4241
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It's alright most of the time - honestly if drivers were better, it would be fine. Especially once they moved from the yield to the added lane going eastbound from Chaparral, it got better.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:46 AM   #4242
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

They've done a lot of work on that bride in a short amount of time. And agreed, once they added that additional lane going eastbound the bottlenecking immediately stopped.
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 11:22 AM   #4243
Jay's Beagle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Yes, it's still October 1 for the Fish Creek to 22X portion unfortunately, despite everything looking ready. My condolences to any regular users of the Sarcee/Bow intersection because after October 1 it will honestly be one of the most delayed at-grade intersections in the country. No exaggeration.

Yeah it's significantly better... what a massive impact this project had at relatively low cost. I don't even see an immediate need for the rest of the NE leg to get widened.
Acey - maybe I missed this but what is happening there?
Jay's Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 11:32 AM   #4244
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

30 days until the south portion of the SW ring road is set to open, not that I'm counting or anything
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 11:37 AM   #4245
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
30 days until the south portion of the SW ring road is set to open, not that I'm counting or anything
I can't wait. We make frquent trips to Turner Valley and current routes are either Macleod Tr or going through Bridlewood, we are in Braeside. Having the road finished will make the trip so much better.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:18 PM   #4246
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay's Beagle View Post
Acey - maybe I missed this but what is happening there?
Until the west leg between Glenmore and Highway 1 is done in 2024, Sarcee will function as the de facto west leg, effectively completing the ring road. This will significantly increase traffic on Sarcee, but the Sarcee/Bow intersection is already in a state of failure. Waiting 10 light cycles to get through Bow on Sarcee is still probably going to be your best bet... there's really no other way that's faster.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:21 PM   #4247
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Until the west leg between Glenmore and Highway 1 is done in 2024, Sarcee will function as the west leg, effectively completing the ring road. This will significantly increase traffic on Sarcee, but the Sarcee/Bow intersection is already in a state of failure. Waiting 10 light cycles to get through Bow on Sarcee is still probably going to be your best bet... there's really no other way that's faster.
If you are going west, it may just be better to take Highway 8 to 22. Google currently says that's ~24 minutes either route, but probably not much traffic right now.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 12:26 PM   #4248
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If you are going west, it may just be better to take Highway 8 to 22. Google currently says that's ~24 minutes either route, but probably not much traffic right now.
Yeah it's the PM peak where it crumbles. I don't have the numbers in front of me because I'm not home but during the PM peak there is far more traffic at the Stoney/Hwy 1 interchange going westbound to northbound than there is through traffic westbound, which suggests that you're probably right but not many will benefit from that routing.

The seed was planted for this to be a big problem decades ago when they decided to not connect up the pieces of Sarcee by bridging the river.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:30 PM   #4249
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah it's the PM peak where it crumbles. I don't have the numbers in front of me because I'm not home but during the PM peak there is far more traffic at the Stoney/Hwy 1 interchange going westbound to northbound than there is through traffic westbound, which suggests that you're probably right but not many will benefit from that routing.

The seed was planted for this to be a big problem decades ago when they decided to not connect up the pieces of Sarcee by bridging the river.
That was the right move though. Bridging Sarcee would have destroyed Bowness and Bowmont Park.

I assume most of this pain will be resolved in 2024?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 12:33 PM   #4250
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Are there any plans to upgrade Sarcee/Bow Trail to a interchange?
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:41 PM   #4251
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plan right now is to wait for the west leg and see what happens. Sarcee/Bow will be a hugely expensive interchange project... and ultimately will still be required regardless of the west leg. A while back they did a report estimating cost for Richmond/Sarcee and Bow/Sarcee interchanges... I'll link it when I get home if I didn't already but it's a huge hit.

Quote:
That was the right move though. Bridging Sarcee would have destroyed Bowness and Bowmont Park.

Yes, correct move. 2024 will be a big help, take through traffic off Sarcee, and most truck traffic.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 12:46 PM   #4252
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Sarcee is nowhere near Bowmont or Bowness parks.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:48 PM   #4253
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Sarcee is nowhere near Bowmont or Bowness parks.
The parks are in the middle of the two Sarcees (NW/SW). They'd have had to build thru the parks to connect them.

I guess technically it would have been Silverthorn Park? I didn't know there were 3 parks, I thought it was all just Bowness.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 09-01-2021 at 12:51 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:51 PM   #4254
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
The parks are in the middle of the two Sarcees (NW/SW). They'd have had to build thru the parks to connect them.

I guess technically it would have been Silverthorn Park? I didn't know there were 3 parks, I thought it was all just Bowness.
Have you looked at a map in the 30 years or so?
Old 09-01-2021, 12:52 PM   #4255
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Have you looked at a map in the 30 years or so?
Maybe don't be a dick and just say what you want to say without being a dbag?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 03:10 PM   #4256
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Maybe don't be a dick and just say what you want to say without being a dbag?
You ninja edited!

Anyhow, I always wondered how Sarcee Trail was going to work like that. It would have split Bowness into two parts. I guess they could've called the big part Wness and the small part Bo.
Old 09-01-2021, 05:38 PM   #4257
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Access at hwy 8 and 101st is going to be closed permanently starting mid Sept

https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...gYCVkvWibutgJc
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:57 PM   #4258
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Access at hwy 8 and 101st is going to be closed permanently starting mid Sept

https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...gYCVkvWibutgJc
Doubling down on terrible decision making I see.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:17 PM   #4259
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Plan right now is to wait for the west leg and see what happens. Sarcee/Bow will be a hugely expensive interchange project... and ultimately will still be required regardless of the west leg. A while back they did a report estimating cost for Richmond/Sarcee and Bow/Sarcee interchanges... I'll link it when I get home if I didn't already but it's a huge hit.

Yes, correct move. 2024 will be a big help, take through traffic off Sarcee, and most truck traffic.
Is this the report you're talking about? Sarcee Trail Scenarios and Analysis

There was a recent preliminary study done in 2015 also on Sarcee/Bow interchange concepts. I won't say the exact numbers on the options since the study doesn't appear to be publicly accessible, so not sure if it was ever meant to be general public info (yet), but the highest design cost was estimated to be short of being $100M. Part of the costs was dealing with the Enmax substation. None of the options were free-flow in both directions, but two options in the study got good cost/benefit results that significantly improving traffic during the rush hour.

When the WRR opens, they might be able to get away with not building an interchange at Bow Trail if lots of the traffic heading towards downtown prefers doing Glenmore/Crowchild instead. But then that interchange will have to be significantly overhauled also and would be a mess for quite sometime. It'll be interesting what the costs for that would be.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:10 PM   #4260
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

In this report the Bow/Sarcee interchange was estimated at about $130 million in 2015. For comparison, the diverging diamond at Macleod/162 Ave was $80 million.

Their analysis estimates a 10-25% increase in traffic on Sarcee next month once the SW leg is open. That increase would include the extra traffic already in play from Stoney being open down to Fish Creek, i.e. a baseline prior to October 1 of last year.

What an unimaginable traffic nightmare if they attempted that interchange before west leg was open.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post: