Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #2181
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mazrim there's a cantilever SB for 22X that looks so terrible even my passenger noticed it. Massive cantilever and then a sign that's like the size of a piece of paper. I'll have a pic at some point. My first thought was, "Mazrim is going to absolutely hate that..."
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #2182
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Clearly I live under a rock, barely even knew about this. Southbound Deerfoot traffic in rush hour is unchanged IMO
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #2183
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is anyone planning to drive the full circle of RR just for the sake of it, once it's completed? I do, provided that it is finished during my lifetime.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #2184
Knut

Exp:

Cut 8-10 minutes off my commute back from Strathmore with the Ring Road today. Like that.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #2185
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Is anyone planning to drive the full circle of RR just for the sake of it, once it's completed? I do, provided that it is finished during my lifetime.
I do as well. It's one way to really appreciate how massive this city is and get a real idea of the sprawl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Clearly I live under a rock, barely even knew about this. Southbound Deerfoot traffic in rush hour is unchanged IMO
We didn't expect it to change, really... but you might notice less trucks on Deerfoot. I'm guesstimating it will stabilize at like 10k-15k vehicles per day less on Deerfoot and it'll be interesting to see numbers from the province to confirm that. But, when you're already at 160,000 at the busiest part of Deerfoot... 10k is somewhat negligible.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #2186
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not sprawl, it's growth.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #2187
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It's not sprawl, it's growth.
Couldn't just let it go, could you?

You're becoming equally as annoying as SebC on this topic, just on the other side of the coin.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #2188
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, sorry. I just thought about that too.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #2189
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

I found the afternoon rush traffic on SB Deerfoot to be noticeably less, but not massively. It is usually backed up just North of Glenmore, but today I didn't have to stop until the Southland overpass. It's just one day though.

The huge difference was the lack of construction at Deerfoot and Stoney, which has been awful for several months now. It was wide open and flowing at 100. The two improvements combined knocked about 10 minutes off my afternoon commute.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #2190
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thats nothing, once the ringroad is done in both calgary and edmonton I plan to do a six hour circuit from Calgary to Edmonton and back.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #2191
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
I found the afternoon rush traffic on SB Deerfoot to be noticeably less, but not massively. It is usually backed up just North of Glenmore, but today I didn't have to stop until the Southland overpass. It's just one day though.

The huge difference was the lack of construction at Deerfoot and Stoney, which has been awful for several months now. It was wide open and flowing at 100. The two improvements combined knocked about 10 minutes off my afternoon commute.
Yeah, from Downtown to the deep south was a solid 10-15 minutes faster on Deerfoot tonight around 4:45 - it was great.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #2192
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Testing Google Maps: From my house in Martindale to my dad's house in Okotoks comes up as 53km, 45 minutes taking Stoney Trail. It I switch it to take Deerfoot, it says 58 km, 46 minutes. Something it the time calculation isn't making sense, as going via Deerfoot adds about 5 km of non Freeway driving, and the distance along a Freeway is about the same - and the speed limit is 100 on both roads.

I don't know how it could possibly think that Stoney Trail is only 1 minute faster with no traffic delays. If that extra 5 km distance it tells me was solely freeway driving at 100km/h (which it's not), it would take an extra 3 minutes, not one minute.

EDIT: testing further, If I go from Deerfoot under Mcknight to south of Calgary on Hwy 2, and compar it to Stoney under McKnight to the same point - it tells me that Stoney is 1 km shorter, but 2 minutes slower, despite both roads having 100km speed limits for the entire distance.

Last edited by You Need a Thneed; 11-26-2013 at 03:27 PM.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #2193
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Testing Google Maps: From my house in Martindale to my dad's house in Okotoks comes up as 53km, 45 minutes taking Stoney Trail. It I switch it to take Deerfoot, it says 58 km, 46 minutes. Something it the time calculation isn't making sense, as going via Deerfoot adds about 5 km of non Freeway driving, and the distance along a Freeway is about the same - and the speed limit is 100 on both roads.

I don't know how it could possibly think that Stoney Trail is only 1 minute faster with no traffic delays. If that extra 5 km distance it tells me was solely freeway driving at 100km/h (which it's not), it would take an extra 3 minutes, not one minute.

EDIT: testing further, If I go from Deerfoot under Mcknight to south of Calgary on Hwy 2, and compar it to Stoney under McKnight to the same point - it tells me that Stoney is 1 km shorter, but 2 minutes slower, despite both roads having 100km speed limits for the entire distance.
I suggest you try both routes and report back. I'm guessing Stoney will be much faster.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #2194
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain_e View Post
I suggest you try both routes and report back. I'm guessing Stoney will be much faster.
Oh, I already know that Stoney will be much faster. 5+ minutes when both roads have no traffic. Much more than that when Deerfoot starts bogging down.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #2195
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glenmore EB to NB Stoney has been given more green time, but is still backing up the whole length of the bridge and then some. The volume both ways out here at 5 pm is insane. NB completely stopped as it crunches from 4 lanes to 2 under 17 Ave. I can safely say widening of the NE leg is going to get accelerated big time...
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #2196
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Two accidents on the deerfoot today. One northbound, one southbound, backed deerfoot up bad at 5pm. While i was going 2 km/h i couldn't stop thinking about the ring road and how happy everybody must be driving it.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:09 PM   #2197
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Two accidents on the deerfoot today. One northbound, one southbound, backed deerfoot up bad at 5pm. While i was going 2 km/h i couldn't stop thinking about the ring road and how happy everybody must be driving it.
NB driving on Deerfoot was pretty sweet today when I left work at 5:30.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #2198
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default South to north

Took it this morning for the first time. Got on at 114 ave at about 8:30 and got to the office in the n.e. around 8:55. Hardly a soul on the road and boy were trucks flying. I was doing 110k and concrete trucks and semi's were going by like I was standing still. I can see where someone mention yesterday that where the road narrows from 4 to 3 to 2 lanes it creates a backup at rush hour. Looks to me just like the usual bottleneck at Deerfoot/Glenmore every morning. Another rocket science engineering feat. They will probably have to add more lanes I bet over time as I can see the same mess as on Deerfoot. If I lived more on the east side I can see it helping a lot. On more way over that way Deerfoot didn't look as backed up coming out of the deep south today either.
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #2199
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

The official signing between the Province and the TTN is happening right now - Ring Road will be officially official momentarily.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #2200
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
The official signing between the Province and the TTN is happening right now - Ring Road will be officially official momentarily.
Officially Official - pending Federal government approving the land swap.