Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2024, 06:26 AM   #1
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames Vegas Golden Knights at Calgary Flames 7:00pm TV SNW, SCRI - RADIO SN960

https://twitter.com/user/status/1767958737577496848

https://twitter.com/user/status/1767960759311409596

https://twitter.com/user/status/1768098948055699936

The Calgary Flames lacked in structure and details against Colorado

Let’s start with a basic principle, friends: the Colorado Avalanche are a very good hockey team. If you look at the Avalanche and the Calgary Flames, on paper, you’d probably favour the Avalanche to win.

Exploring possible connections between the Calgary Flames and top draft prospect Ivan Demidov

Many fans have turned to the draft and the possibility of a high pick. Names such as Berkly Catton, Carter Yakemchuk, Konsta Helenius, Tij Iginla (obviously), and more have been around the Flames in terms of the draft this season. Top-pick names haven’t surrounded the Flames due to their position in the standings this year. But with the influx of Russians being acquired and the Flames dropping, I thought up the silly idea: what if the Flames are gearing up to attempt to draft top Russian prospect, Ivan Demidov?
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 06:34 AM   #2
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh I’m sure this game will go well.
Honestly, I’d throw Vladar back in and give Wolf the Habs on Saturday. After the San Jose fiasco, give the kid at least a chance.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 06:55 AM   #3
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pregame links
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/games/41973027/
https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/vegas-...boxscore-41063
https://www.espn.com/nhl/game/_/game...knights-flames
https://winnersandwhiners.com/games/...ediction-5696/
https://statsalt.com/games/nhl/3-14-...ediction-3657/
https://fieldlevelmedia.com/news/noa...ake-on-flames/

Game is on SiriusXM on channel 924 for a computer and other electronics
with the Flames feed and channel 167 in your vehicle.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tsawwassen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 07:00 AM   #4
Freddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Drawing on the positives from last game I’m looking forward to Pospisils relentless forecheck and Miromanov rovering around looking for soft spots in the LV defence. I also missed having Mangiapane in the lineup despite the flak he takes (and has taken his whole career). Go Flames!
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 07:23 AM   #5
skcli
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just score a PP goal that's all I ask for.
skcli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 07:25 AM   #6
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't think Mangiapane is underappreciated here, in general the fan base loves him! He always works hard, he scores clutch goals and has been a playoff performer.

But he is a bit redundant due to our depth on wing, and is slightly overpaid - for that I don't see him staying long.
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 07:35 AM   #7
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

No game story tonight (not sure anyone is reading them anymore anyway with the season all but over).

At the game with customers and home late.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 07:43 AM   #8
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
I don't think Mangiapane is underappreciated here, in general the fan base loves him! He always works hard, he scores clutch goals and has been a playoff performer.

But he is a bit redundant due to our depth on wing, and is slightly overpaid - for that I don't see him staying long.
30 in the last 145 games played. Tied for 151st over that time. More PIMs than pts.

12 pts in 27 playoff games.

All for only 5.8M a year.

Maybe he is under appreciated, but he has clearly under performed.
Old 03-14-2024, 07:51 AM   #9
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going to the game tonight. Send thoughts and prayers.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 07:54 AM   #10
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
30 in the last 145 games played. Tied for 151st over that time. More PIMs than pts.

12 pts in 27 playoff games.

All for only 5.8M a year.

Maybe he is under appreciated, but he has clearly under performed.
The NHL has ~384 wingers. If Mangiapane is 151st in scoring, this is perfectly aligned with my expectations (middle six winger).

Did you expect him to be a top line winger??
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 07:56 AM   #11
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
The NHL has ~384 wingers. If Mangiapane is 151st in scoring, this is perfectly aligned with my expectations (middle six winger).

Do i expect more than 17 goals a season for 5.8M?

Yes.
Old 03-14-2024, 08:00 AM   #12
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again, I'm hoping that some of these borderline guys make a strong push the rest of the way. This is their audition for a full time NHL job, so they need to make the most of the opportunity. If they don't show much over the next few weeks, then that's on them.

I like what I've seen out of Pachal and Miromanov to a certain degree (the last couple of games notwithstanding for Pachal because he was badly exposed...hoping he learns from it). Gilbert, Hanley, Okhotiuk...now's the time to show something...anything.

I know Pospisil and Zary will be given jobs next fall, but I can't say anyone else in the borderline AHL group has inspired much confidence yet. Hunt has moments now and then, but doesn't bring anything very unique to the lineup. Pelletier looks to be in the right place most of the time, but doesn't do a lot to change momentum or create chances. I really want to see Coronato show signs of life at the NHL level...still waiting.

Also, let's give some games to Wolf already. He needs the experience, and we have nothing to lose. Perhaps they're just waiting for a stable defensive performance before putting him in there.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 08:04 AM   #13
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

...yes, or at least close to it.

Mangiapane is the 28th highest paid RW and 24th highest paid LW in the league.

Being a middle-six winger and averaging 44 points per 82 games at $5.8M/year is underperforming.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 08:06 AM   #14
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Again, I'm hoping that some of these borderline guys make a strong push the rest of the way. This is their audition for a full time NHL job, so they need to make the most of the opportunity. If they don't show much over the next few weeks, then that's on them.

I like what I've seen out of Pachal and Miromanov to a certain degree (the last couple of games notwithstanding for Pachal because he was badly exposed...hoping he learns from it). Gilbert, Hanley, Okhotiuk...now's the time to show something...anything.

I know Pospisil and Zary will be given jobs next fall, but I can't say anyone else in the borderline AHL group has inspired much confidence yet. Hunt has moments now and then, but doesn't bring anything very unique to the lineup. Pelletier looks to be in the right place most of the time, but doesn't do a lot to change momentum or create chances. I really want to see Coronato show signs of life at the NHL level...still waiting.

Also, let's give some games to Wolf already. He needs the experience, and we have nothing to lose. Perhaps they're just waiting for a stable defensive performance before putting him in there.

As they should.

After the SJ game and the majority of the last 3, they really should not be throwing him in until they figure out the back end. Dzone coverage has been atrocious since the loss of Tanev and Hanifin.

Thats not JUST on the new guys either as the F's haven't adapted to the new crew either....but either way, i think it foolish to screw with Wolfs confidence until they stabalize a bit.
Old 03-14-2024, 08:14 AM   #15
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Feels like we've won all the games when the image at the top of the thread includes the bizarre AI stick tape job.

Fat stick for the win! Flames for the win!
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 08:18 AM   #16
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
As they should.

After the SJ game and the majority of the last 3, they really should not be throwing him in until they figure out the back end. Dzone coverage has been atrocious since the loss of Tanev and Hanifin.

Thats not JUST on the new guys either as the F's haven't adapted to the new crew either....but either way, i think it foolish to screw with Wolfs confidence until they stabalize a bit.
Wolf is going to play behind this group eventually, and he’s going to play behind defence that have bad games. He already has and it hasn’t screwed with him, so I’m not sure why we’re pretending this will.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 08:22 AM   #17
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Wolf is going to play behind this group eventually, and he’s going to play behind defence that have bad games. He already has and it hasn’t screwed with him, so I’m not sure why we’re pretending this will.
His .880 save% and 3.69 GAA average suggests otherwise....albeit in a very small sample size.

No one is pretending anything.

I am not saying dont give him games...i am saying that this current group has had 2 practices together and its going to take time to gel....no reason Wolf needs to be in net until that happens.
Old 03-14-2024, 08:43 AM   #18
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
His .880 save% and 3.69 GAA average suggests otherwise....albeit in a very small sample size.

No one is pretending anything.

I am not saying dont give him games...i am saying that this current group has had 2 practices together and its going to take time to gel....no reason Wolf needs to be in net until that happens.
Why? He's a professional goalie and a damn good one at that. This insinuation that he's going to be ruined playing behind a messy team is balderdash when he's essentially rotting in the minors at this point and can't improve beyond what he's already done at that level.

If anything he's going to be ruined by not advancing himself and learning what it takes to excel in the NHL. If he needs to be babied by the organization he's not worth the clout he's built up anyway.
Old 03-14-2024, 08:53 AM   #19
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think all he's saying is let the new defensemen get a few practices in to learn the system first before throwing in the rookie goalie too. They all came in while the team was on the road on back to backs, and had one full practice before the last game too. It's not enough transition time for so many new guys to come in and learn what the coach wants and where to be. They also need to become at least a little familiar with their partners' tendencies as well.

I'm not saying you need to handle Wolf with kid gloves, but you also want to have a strategy to help him succeed. They did give him minutes the other night, so it's not like they're opposed to giving playing time.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 09:34 AM   #20
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go Flames go!
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post: