Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2021, 12:04 PM   #81
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Chalk it up to another Treliving blunder if you ask me. Same with Mangiapane, who could have also been locked in longer term before blowing up when it was painfully obvious he was going to turn into something.

It still fails to make sense how the GM continues to have a job for having achieved so little.
You can't force players to sign long term. I don't fault him for Mangiapane as if Treliving gambles on a long term deal and Mangiapane has a poor season then fans are jumping on him for tying up money and term into an unproven player. As for Tkachuk it sounds like the player and agent did not want to commit long term and want to keep all their options open.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2021, 12:06 PM   #82
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I don't see why Mangiapane could have been locked up long term. That seems against the best interests of Mangiapane.

During his hold out, his agent was quoted as saying they were looking at a 1 year deal, they probably felt confident he could dramatically increase his value in a couple years so locking up longterm wasn't something they wanted.

“We provided them with an offer for one year, based on players provided to us as comparables, and we’re waiting to hear back,” said agent Ritch Winter, who represents the 23-year-old restricted free agent."
You don't think the Mangiapane camp would have jumped on a 4-5 year deal instead of 2 with the current deal if it was on the table? What player in his situation wouldn't want that type of security at then 24 years old without the high end hype to back up further short term gambling?

Paying a little more from the Flames perspective made a lot of sense given his age, trajectory and where the roster was at during the time.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:08 PM   #83
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Not really valid for sports trade rumors.

Burke sued people for defamation. IIRC they were spreading a rumor that he was fired as Toronto GM because he had an affair and knocked up a female sports anchor.

You would have to go a long way in court to prove that a false rumor of a player wanting out of a city caused damages to said player. I don't think the legal liability is there.
I understand the difference in the circumstances. But the damages from a false/made-up rumour to a team could be significant. A rumour means "something I have heard". The point is that you cannot represent something you have heard without actually having it heard. Because it is then not a rumour but a speculation.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:08 PM   #84
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
You don't think the Mangiapane camp would have jumped on a 4-5 year deal instead of 2 with the current deal if it was on the table? What player in his situation wouldn't want that type of security at then 24 years old without the high end hype to back up further short term gambling?

Paying a little more from the Flames perspective made a lot of sense given his age, trajectory and where the roster was at during the time.
Maybe. Or if Mangi and his agents believed in his's ability to significantly improve his value over the next couple years then a long-term deal wouldn't have been worth considering.

Unless the Flames jumped to a high AAV already, but I don't see why they would have done so either. Feels like a scenario that was always going to be a couple 1-2 year deals and then the potential for a longer term deal.

Given the odd hold out Mangi and his agent had when they had zero leverage I would suggest that points to their confidence in his trajectory. So I don't think they would have entertained an early long-term deal if they could time it right and get a $1-$2M more per year after a couple solid breakout years first.

Last edited by AC; 06-23-2021 at 12:11 PM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:08 PM   #85
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
You can't force players to sign long term. I don't fault him for Mangiapane as if Treliving gambles on a long term deal and Mangiapane has a poor season then fans are jumping on him for tying up money and term into an unproven player. As for Tkachuk it sounds like the player and agent did not want to commit long term and want to keep all their options open.
Maybe, maybe not but the hammer lies with Treliving in that situation, especially with a guy like Tkachuk who is/was highly unlikely to hold out provided offers and dealings are being approached reasonably.

You certainly don't see many high end RFAs going this route and I'm guessing it's due to the fact most teams see the massive downside once you hit year 3 of said deal.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:19 PM   #86
aiy_yah
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I listened to the audio of O'Brien.

I don't trust anyone that thinks you pronounce the "T" in Tkachuk.

Interestingly enough, I knew a girl many, many moons ago and her last name was Tkachuk, but she pronounced it Tuh-ka-CHUCK.
aiy_yah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:21 PM   #87
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Part of my family has the last name Tkachuk, and they pronounce it Tah-chuck. They are also all Oiler fans, so I took great pleasure in plastering that name on the back of a Flames jersey.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2021, 12:23 PM   #88
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Really comes down to the relationship.

He seemed pretty sincere when he signed the deal that he felt it was structured in a way to make sure they could bring back the whole team. Bottom line it was certainly the type of deal that was being handed out around the league (Point, Boeser, Sergachev).

Hopefully the team has an idea on what he plans to do with the $9M qualifying offer. If they've already had that chat and it's just a number in signing a long term contract that makes sense for both sides (as in he has expressed he wants to stay here) then I doubt he's going anywhere.

If he's tight on the topic though I think they have to move him whether he's asked for a trade or not.

Same as Gaudreau. Get a sense of what he wants for dollars and term and if it doesn't work ... move him.
So the back loaded contracts with huge QO were for the good of keeping the team together, I missed that altogether.

Tampa's in a crunch this summer and again the next year where Point is likely expecting 9M as the starting point and the year after Point Shergachev is looking at 7.2 as his starting point along with Cernak 4.4 and Cerrilli 7.2

Contracts actually better for the teams:

Aho who got the match on the offer sheet got his money up front and the last 2 years before he is a UFA his salary is 6m and change while his cap hit stays at 8.46.... That makes him far more marketable than having the 12 and 10 M he got on the first 2 years for his last 2 years.

Same for the other prime ELC that actually signed long term deals

Rattanen last 3 years a 6, 9.5, 6 blow his cap hit of 9.250
Connor has pretty close to the same salary as his CaP hit of 7.1 M

The teams that retained control of the situation were the Jets with Laine and Columbus with Dubois ... QO of 7.5 and 6.65 respectfully.

It will be interesting what kind of deal Laine gets this summer from Columbus. If there is any chance that Tkachuk be extended at term with less than 9M cap hit.... Laine need to be signed to term at less than 7.5.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:27 PM   #89
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiy_yah View Post
Interestingly enough, I knew a girl many, many moons ago and her last name was Tkachuk, but she pronounced it Tuh-ka-CHUCK.
Me too. Wonder if it’s the same girl…
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:39 PM   #90
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tkachuk is ukranian last name. It means Weaver. In the original lamguage it is pronounced Tkah-CHOOK. T is pronoinced clearly.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pointman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2021, 12:39 PM   #91
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
So the back loaded contracts with huge QO were for the good of keeping the team together, I missed that altogether.

Tampa's in a crunch this summer and again the next year where Point is likely expecting 9M as the starting point and the year after Point Shergachev is looking at 7.2 as his starting point along with Cernak 4.4 and Cerrilli 7.2

Contracts actually better for the teams:

Aho who got the match on the offer sheet got his money up front and the last 2 years before he is a UFA his salary is 6m and change while his cap hit stays at 8.46.... That makes him far more marketable than having the 12 and 10 M he got on the first 2 years for his last 2 years.

Same for the other prime ELC that actually signed long term deals

Rattanen last 3 years a 6, 9.5, 6 blow his cap hit of 9.250
Connor has pretty close to the same salary as his CaP hit of 7.1 M

The teams that retained control of the situation were the Jets with Laine and Columbus with Dubois ... QO of 7.5 and 6.65 respectfully.

It will be interesting what kind of deal Laine gets this summer from Columbus. If there is any chance that Tkachuk be extended at term with less than 9M cap hit.... Laine need to be signed to term at less than 7.5.

These bridge deals were signed before Covid and in a situation where the cap was absolutely going to go up with a new US TV deal, expansion etc. the pandemic hit and a flat cap resulted after the fact. The only reason Laine and Dubois are different is they signed a 2 year deals so they look good now but at the time the Laine deal was signed he was looking for the $10M deal a year sooner than Tkachuk, Point, Boeser, Meier, etc.

The pandemic screwed the bridge deals up because of an unforeseen flat cap as a result of something outside of league control
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:41 PM   #92
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

it would be intereting to know what kind of messaging he is getting at home about the NHL from his dad. as in my opinion kieth was a guy who was never afraid to make his employer change thier position by sitting out. maybe dad is saying, hey, if you don't like calgary then here is how we could orchestrate something......

regardless of what is done with matty, the flames will ahve to pay dearly in cash or perhaps in tears if he is traded and the trade turns out to be be bad for the flames.

i think matty has some good tools, but not sure he has the brain to harness it all.

i can't imagine paying him $9m to deliver another season of what we saw last year.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:53 PM   #93
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I'm learning there are many ways to pronounce Tkachuk, and that SOB didn't get any of them.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2021, 01:36 PM   #94
CgyFlamesftw
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I know it’s social media and you can’t take it seriously. But Tkachuk removed Calgary from his Instagram bio, has had it there since drafted.
CgyFlamesftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:37 PM   #95
redmile04
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Why wouldn't he want out? The puck flip incident, losing franchise, cold city, not his country, team changes coaches every few years with no change in success, worst arena in the league. I would want to leave to if i had his talents and they were being wasted on a lower tier franchise like the flames... hate typing this but all facts above.
Old 06-23-2021, 02:09 PM   #96
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
These bridge deals were signed before Covid and in a situation where the cap was absolutely going to go up with a new US TV deal, expansion etc. the pandemic hit and a flat cap resulted after the fact. The only reason Laine and Dubois are different is they signed a 2 year deals so they look good now but at the time the Laine deal was signed he was looking for the $10M deal a year sooner than Tkachuk, Point, Boeser, Meier, etc.

The pandemic screwed the bridge deals up because of an unforeseen flat cap as a result of something outside of league control
So it's the flat cap that kept Tkachuk, Point, Boeser, Mierer, Dubois, Laine from not being the best players in league and deserving of 10M contracts... nothing to do with 6 of the 7 having their career years before signing their second contract.. Boeser actually had his career best in 20-21 who would picked him to earn the big bucks?

The teams and agents thought that the career years were the minimum or maybe the norm, when in fact they really have a better chance of being actual career years.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 02:15 PM   #97
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol hilarious tangential story, my buddy's last name is Tkachuk (pronounces it the same as the player does.) Around Edmonton there are many Tkachuks, though many pronounce it slightly differently.

I stood in this guy's wedding. His mom (not last name Tkachuk- her and his Dad had never married and were not together) insisted on getting this family pastor guy to perform the ceremony even though no one was particularly religious- fine, you appease the mother. Guy comes out for the rehearsal and says Tkachuk slightly differently than the guy prefers, but no one really corrects him because he's old and seems kind of deaf. He's consistent though and close, so everyone is happy enough.

The day of the wedding the dude shows up pretty rosy cheeked. He said Tkachuk about 100 times and used every single different pronounciation. He did not pronounce it the same way twice. Swung wildly from Tah-chook to ta-ka-chuck to some that sounded more like sneezes... It was hilarious because it was not my wedding.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2021, 02:26 PM   #98
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
What's that? Sometimes you are right and sometimes you are wrong? It doesn't really matter as I'm entitled to my opinion and it's going to play out one way or another. In the mean time I will just sit back and let the rumors heat up.
Then state is as an opinion and not fact.
Old 06-23-2021, 02:27 PM   #99
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Lol hilarious tangential story, my buddy's last name is Tkachuk (pronounces it the same as the player does.) Around Edmonton there are many Tkachuks, though many pronounce it slightly differently.

I stood in this guy's wedding. His mom (not last name Tkachuk- her and his Dad had never married and were not together) insisted on getting this family pastor guy to perform the ceremony even though no one was particularly religious- fine, you appease the mother. Guy comes out for the rehearsal and says Tkachuk slightly differently than the guy prefers, but no one really corrects him because he's old and seems kind of deaf. He's consistent though and close, so everyone is happy enough.

The day of the wedding the dude shows up pretty rosy cheeked. He said Tkachuk about 100 times and used every single different pronounciation. He did not pronounce it the same way twice. Swung wildly from Tah-chook to ta-ka-chuck to some that sounded more like sneezes... It was hilarious because it was not my wedding.
Ta-ka-chuck is my new favourite.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 02:44 PM   #100
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CgyFlamesftw View Post
I know it’s social media and you can’t take it seriously. But Tkachuk removed Calgary from his Instagram bio, has had it there since drafted.
I'm going to guess that is Chucky just screwing with people. No doubt all of this has filtered back to his camp.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post: