Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: TJ Brodie and Travis Hamonic. Who should stay, and why?
TJ Brodie should stay 165 68.18%
Travis Hamonic should stay 15 6.20%
Both should be re-signed at reasonable rates (if possible) 30 12.40%
Neither, promote youth 21 8.68%
Neither, acquire replacement(s) 11 4.55%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2020, 09:56 AM   #61
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
I think last night was a perfect example of my thoughts on the topic.

I was more comfortable with Brodie on the ice with McDavid than I was with Hamonic with Yamamoto.

I think Brodie was our most important player last night while Hamonic was terrible.
I wouldn't say Hamonic was terrible. He had a few good moments last night. That pairing just doesn't work so as long as they keep them together it seems that both Hanafin and Hamonic are going to continue to look bad on a lot of nights.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2020, 10:02 AM   #62
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamonic has been great for stretches and has been a warrior the whole time.

But he hasn't been as advertised and spending that first to get him, then missing the playoffs that year was egregious. He has been too inconsistent defensively, and is not offensive to make up for it. Disappointing the way things worked out.

He has lots of value to certain teams and he could help us get the forward that is needed. He must be traded and we hope Stone can fill in the gap until next season when Valimaki is ready.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:07 AM   #63
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

The way this poll is worded, I let both go, and promote youth.

If Brodie can be retained for a reasonable price than I would look to try and keep him around. But I wouldn't want to give him a contract that's too different than the last one Jay Bouwmeester signed which was a 5 year deal for 5.4 per year. So in today's money that's in and around 6 per season.

But if possible, I would rather find some money to start allocating towards some scoring up front.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:23 AM   #64
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Do you think Brodie takes 7/$5.5M AAV? I'd be comfortable with that.
Not me. I have no interest in paying, or playing 36 year old Brodie.

The only way I see the Flames resigning him is if it is for a 4 year term max, 5 M max. Honestly, I don't think that's gonna happen. Brodie's next contract will be his last and he will want to set up a cozy retirement.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:31 AM   #65
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed. If he wants more than $5M, then siyonara TJ
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:33 PM   #66
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brodie for 6 years at $6/yr or Haminoc for 4 years at $4.5/yr?

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:39 PM   #67
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Brodie for 6 years at $6/yr or Haminoc for 4 years at $4.5/yr?
Hamonic will be another Brouwer, just on defense, if we sign him to that contract. He's not aging well at all.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fire of the Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 11:39 AM   #68
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hamonic has two years left in him max. Time to move on. Keep Brodie if financially feasible otherwise trade him for picks before the deadline
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:37 PM   #69
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Hanifin also just turned 23 this week. He’s still improving. You need patience with young defensemen. Trading him this early in his career would be stupidity.

Answer me this. At what age did Giordano and Brodie peak? Look at Hanifin’s age again.
Here we go again with the age thing - how long do we need to take into account the merits of the actual players at the current time, not something that the person is in the future.

For the Flames, Brodie has proven himself to be a top tier d-man beside Gio for countless years now. But at times, he looks soft. This year, he's looking great again.

Hamonic looked terrible when he first joined the Flames and it took some adjustments for him to fit in, but he's been pretty much what Tre's been looking for as a stable 2nd line D-man and on the right side at that. Hamonic was supposed to be the stay-at-home type similar to Regher in some ways, but yet he's exceeded that by jumping in down low and blocking a lot of dangerous shots.

Hanifin - everyone says he's a great skater, but on countless times, fast forwards have blown past him on the wide side and he's got no speed to match when he's trying to catch up. On the defensive zone, he's left people more wide open and that's led to Hamonic giving up his side to compensate. To me, Hanifin is very similar to J-Bo when he was with the Flames. Some nights good, most night not so good.

As for age, I don't care how old a player is, I'm just looking at the actual plays and I'm calling it as it is. Age and speed are all relative terms and don't mean much when it comes to getting the job done. If the person or player can get the job done effectively, age is irrelevant. Age may be relevant for long term projection and depending on the plans of the team to win now or in the somewhere in the distant future. Even then, you may run out of time for some players.

IMO, if you can keep Brodie and/or Hamonic and can part with Hanifin to get more depth on the D, it's the best thing than losing either of the D on the right side.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSharp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 05:57 PM   #70
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hanifin is definitely still young but he hasn’t improved that much since getting here. Age is relevant but so is trajectory.

TBQH Treliving signed him to that contract based on potential and he hasn’t yet lived up to its value.

Yes he’s younger than Rasmus and two years ago he was the superior player but the gap is closing quickly IMO. Of course development isn’t totally linear so you hope something clicks with Hanifin.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 06:11 PM   #71
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brodie. I really like Hamonic the person and I’ve liked him as a player too but I think Brodie is clearly a step above him at this point and given each guys play style I think Brodie is a safer bet to remain at his current level than Hamonic.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:26 PM   #72
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Not me. I have no interest in paying, or playing 36 year old Brodie.

The only way I see the Flames resigning him is if it is for a 4 year term max, 5 M max. Honestly, I don't think that's gonna happen. Brodie's next contract will be his last and he will want to set up a cozy retirement.
You say this like Brodie isn't this team's clear cut 2nd best defenseman.

Somehow, it became part of the narrative that Brodie can only play with Gio after the Brodie-Hamonic pairing was a disaster. But after three years of Hamonic, and looking at what Hanifin has achieved stapled to #24, I think it's very clear that a player like Travis Hamonic drags Brodie down, and that whoever is on the 3rd pair is likewise not suited to play with TJ.

All the guy does is play against the other team's best players. He's done that for seven years with great success. He's better now than Andersson, Hanifin, Kylington and Valimaki, and he's going to be better than all of those players for several years. If not the next six.

I don't have a problem paying a 36 year old Brodie $1.25M less than Gio makes now. Or $1M less. Or even $500k less, if the term is shorter.

This is not a player for whom we should be forecasting a precipitous decline. Brodie is an excellent 1st pairing defenseman with low mileage and no significant injury history.

Don't have him run the 1st unit Powerplay. That's all.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:30 PM   #73
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Hanifin is definitely still young but he hasn’t improved that much since getting here. Age is relevant but so is trajectory.

TBQH Treliving signed him to that contract based on potential and he hasn’t yet lived up to its value.

Yes he’s younger than Rasmus and two years ago he was the superior player but the gap is closing quickly IMO. Of course development isn’t totally linear so you hope something clicks with Hanifin.
I really want to see him for an extended period of time with Andersson. I think he would do much better with a cerebral player like him who can read the play better than Hamonic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 06:58 PM   #74
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I really want to see him for an extended period of time with Andersson. I think he would do much better with a cerebral player like him who can read the play better than Hamonic.
When Andersson goes up to play with Gio, Brodie should play the right side with Hanifin.

I'm 1000% okay with dealing Hamonic before the deadline, I don't believe he moves the needle for this group at all.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:57 PM   #75
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Here we go again with the age thing - how long do we need to take into account the merits of the actual players at the current time, not something that the person is in the future.

For the Flames, Brodie has proven himself to be a top tier d-man beside Gio for countless years now.
But at times, he looks soft. This year, he's looking great again.

Hamonic looked terrible when he first joined the Flames and it took some adjustments for him to fit in, but he's been pretty much what Tre's been looking for as a stable 2nd line D-man and on the right side at that. Hamonic was supposed to be the stay-at-home type similar to Regher in some ways, but yet he's exceeded that by jumping in down low and blocking a lot of dangerous shots.

Hanifin - everyone says he's a great skater, but on countless times, fast forwards have blown past him on the wide side and he's got no speed to match when he's trying to catch up. On the defensive zone, he's left people more wide open and that's led to Hamonic giving up his side to compensate. To me, Hanifin is very similar to J-Bo when he was with the Flames. Some nights good, most night not so good.

As for age, I don't care how old a player is, I'm just looking at the actual plays and I'm calling it as it is. Age and speed are all relative terms and don't mean much when it comes to getting the job done. If the person or player can get the job done effectively, age is irrelevant. Age may be relevant for long term projection and depending on the plans of the team to win now or in the somewhere in the distant future. Even then, you may run out of time for some players.

IMO, if you can keep Brodie and/or Hamonic and can part with Hanifin to get more depth on the D, it's the best thing than losing either of the D on the right side.
We need to take age into account for as long as it's relevant. Here's the thing: defensemen don't usually put it all together until they are at least 23-25. Sometimes later.

Hanifin is 22-23 this year.

Brodie's first full season, he was older thanHanifin is now. Not his first season on the top pair (that came a couple years later), but his first full season with no AHL time. He was a bottom pair guy that year. And I remember so many posters saying 'he's a 5-6 guy at best, he'll never be a top pair guy.

Giordano played in Russia as a 24 year old. His first full season with the Flames, he was 25. He was also considered a bottom pairing guy for some time after that. He didn't become a top pairing guy until many years later.

The reason we talk about the ages of the young Dmen is because it is very difficult to learn how to be a top pairing guy in the NHL. Offensively, no problem. But being great defensively takes years to master.

Hanifin will turn 29 (Brodie's current age) during the 2025/26 season. There are 13 year olds out there who will be in the NHL by then.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 08:12 PM   #76
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Would love to see that but I could also see Valimaki - Rasmus being good and not to far off. Hanifin has been stagnant since he arrived. Looked good early this season but there just isn't much to his game I love. He's still a big trading him.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:25 PM   #77
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be really interested to see what the results of this would have been a year ago.

I think Brodie makes sense to keep if they can fit him in. Top pairing D-men dont grow on trees. Might also be very attractive for Seattle to take him, potentially shielding the young guys.

Deal Hamonic for pick(s), then deal those picks for a RW at the deadline, or worst case at the draft.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 08:29 PM   #78
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep both for the playoff run for sure. I would prefer to sign Brodie and let Hamonic walk but at least one should be retained, the other you treat like a rental. This also allows the Flames to do the right think with Valimaki and take extra time, no need to rush it. Saw a video of him skating today and he was taking it pretty gingerly.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:52 AM   #79
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Deal Hamonic if the return is anything decent. Especially if Valimaki is coming back.

I'd seriously consider trading Hanifin in the off season if you could land a good young forward. I'm in the camp that doesn't fully buy the age thing. I think he still has good value though and we should maximize it while we can. I see Bennett on defence with him where he might have some good tools but lacks the most important one to put it all together at a high level. Since the Flames dont have elite talent like Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, McKinnon, etc I think they need to build up depth to make up for it and he seems like a good piece to potentially do that with.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:46 AM   #80
flameester
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Can't understand why nobody 'BBF' didn't bring this up.

Sorry first time trying to do this.[URL="http://www.tsn.ca/giordano-and-brodie-pairing-continues-to-carry-calgary-1.1435356"]http
flameester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flameester For This Useful Post: