Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: TJ Brodie and Travis Hamonic. Who should stay, and why?
TJ Brodie should stay 165 68.18%
Travis Hamonic should stay 15 6.20%
Both should be re-signed at reasonable rates (if possible) 30 12.40%
Neither, promote youth 21 8.68%
Neither, acquire replacement(s) 11 4.55%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2020, 02:46 PM   #21
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Brodie. He's a dynamic top pair player with outstanding gap control and creativity.

Hamonic is already playing at the level of a bottom pair defenseman. The game is too fast for him to defend.

This
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 02:47 PM   #22
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
This
But dont tell Toronto that.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2020, 02:48 PM   #23
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep Brodie and it is not even close. Brodie is a top two dman on this team, Hamonic is 4th or 5th, possibly dropping to 6th by next season if Valimaki comes back healthy. Treliving should recoup whatever he can from the Hamonic experiment and move on. Hamonic’s next deal will likely be an overpayment in year one and just get worse from there.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 03:04 PM   #24
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I agree with GioforPm, this comes down to money. What $$ is each expecting and what term, if it is too much then you ship them both. We don't truly know who wants to stay and who wants to play elsewhere, that also comes into the equation. It will leave two big holes in our D though, are Kylington and Valimaki able to fil those holes, possibly.

There is also the chance that you ship them both at the deadline, they don't get what they were expecting in FA and double back to Cgy at a reasonable rate (highly unlikely I know but stranger things have happened).
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 03:13 PM   #25
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Keep Brodie assuming his $ ask isn't crazy.

Easy choice.

I don't see a place for Hamonic on this team going forward.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:54 PM   #26
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think you need to keep whoever you think you can re-sign and trade the other.

I know it’s the less popular opinion these days but, all things being equal, I say trade Brodie and re-sign Hamonic.

If Hamonic only wants to sign in Winnipeg then you trade him and keep Brodie.

I know everyone, including myself, has liked Brodie’s much improved play since his coming back from his incident at practice but he is not as unique in our system as Hamonic is and I actually think a lot of ppl don’t give Hamonic enough credit for what he provides the team.

Gio-Hanifin
Valimaki-Andersson
Kylington-Hamonic

I expect Gio, Andersson, Valimaki, Hanifin and Kylington to be here next season in our top 6 so who compliments this group better?

IMO it’s the bigger, grittier, RHS defensive dman.

He’s not the sexy pick but I think he is severely undervalued by a lot of Flames fans.

I don’t expect many to agree because Brodie has been playing extremely well.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2020, 09:04 PM   #27
fireguyfire
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
I think you need to keep whoever you think you can re-sign and trade the other.

I know it’s the less popular opinion these days but, all things being equal, I say trade Brodie and re-sign Hamonic.

If Hamonic only wants to sign in Winnipeg then you trade him and keep Brodie.

I know everyone, including myself, has liked Brodie’s much improved play since his coming back from his incident at practice but he is not as unique in our system as Hamonic is and I actually think a lot of ppl don’t give Hamonic enough credit for what he provides the team.

Gio-Hanifin
Valimaki-Andersson
Kylington-Hamonic

I expect Gio, Andersson, Valimaki, Hanifin and Kylington to be here next season in our top 6 so who compliments this group better?

IMO it’s the bigger, grittier, RHS defensive dman.

He’s not the sexy pick but I think he is severely undervalued by a lot of Flames fans.

I don’t expect many to agree because Brodie has been playing extremely well.

I agree
fireguyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fireguyfire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2020, 10:24 PM   #28
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I move Brodie as he will garner the better return and I don't see how the Flames can fit him under the cap as I don't think he will come cheap.

Hamonic on the right deal in your bottom 3 is just fine and adds a little something the rest of the D don't really have.

My thinking is the return for Brodie closes the gap in depth on forward (obviously trade for a forward) more so than losing him causes a hole on defense. Andersson easily slides up and I have been pleasantly surprised by Klyington this year. Valimaki looks to have the makings of a stud in my mind. The winger depth is putrid and needs to be addressed. Move the pieces that best addresses that.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:52 PM   #29
ignite
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Where would Brodie and Hamonic be slotted in the current TSN trade bait board? ... hypothetically.
I would probably place Brodie at #2 and Hamonic at #7.
ignite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:54 PM   #30
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

You keep Brodie. If his price tag is more than you can handle, that doesn’t mean you keep Hamonic. They are two entirely different players and neither replaces the other.

IMO you get whatever you can for Hamonic by the deadline. If you can’t re-sign Brodie either, then you’re in a tough spot. But Brodie is worth being a rental IMO, Hamonic isn’t. And then you’re in the market for a defenseman or two this summer.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:36 PM   #31
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'd say keep Brodie trade Hamonic but of course the money and term are huge factors. As are the returns though. If you can get a 1st for Brodie that's tempting.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2020, 07:29 AM   #32
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Keep Brodie at the right price. Trade Hamonic
This is the correct answer. Brodie seems like a player who will age well. He's had a good season and haven't really cursed his name for a couple seasons (since GG left). He's been a good Flame over the years and the team will miss him dearly if he leaves.

Hamonic I feel is a player who will hit a sharp decline sooner rather then later I think. Good warrior-type player in his prime, but those guys often fall off a cliff and you're simply left with a player you wish could give more.

Brodie is a player who can play dynamic, slows the game down and makes great plays with his skating. Hamonic seems to have his bar set quite low for having a 'good game'. IMO a stay-at-home defenceman is simply a term used for a defenceman who has no offence.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 01-28-2020 at 07:35 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:56 AM   #33
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Truthfully i don't want either re-signed. Both of those guys are going to want a NMC in their next contract with an expansion draft just around the corner.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:01 AM   #34
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not going to be a popular opinion but I think the team should look at what they could get for Giordano. Sell high. Probably never going to get more for him than we would right now. Plus it would open up a lot of options going forward.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:07 AM   #35
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Brodie, all the way. He’s one of those skaters who will keep his wheels as he ages.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:46 AM   #36
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
Brodie, all the way. He’s one of those skaters who will keep his wheels as he ages.
I actually think, while this year he's playing an overall better game than the last couple years, his skating is not what it once was. He used to be the fastest and smoothest guy on the ice (for both teams) many nights. Now he's probably only the third best skating defenceman on Calgary, and when Valimaki reutrns he might slip further.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:54 AM   #37
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I actually think, while this year he's playing an overall better game than the last couple years, his skating is not what it once was. He used to be the fastest and smoothest guy on the ice (for both teams) many nights. Now he's probably only the third best skating defenceman on Calgary, and when Valimaki reutrns he might slip further.

Fascinating.

How are you measuring quality of skating, who is better, and how?

Many thanks
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:06 AM   #38
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Fascinating.

How are you measuring quality of skating, who is better, and how?

Many thanks
Just eye test. I have zero backup for the opinion. I see Brodie being beat in races a lot more, whereas I see Kylington catching guys who are not slow at all, even when starting from well behind (because he went deep on a rush). I think Kylington and Hanifin better skaters. I think they are quicker off the mark, faster overall and both have great edgework. And I'm not looking for fault - was a big fan of Brodie's skating. And I would trade a few KMPH on his skating for his better mental game any day.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:08 AM   #39
Phaneuf_Phan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Get rid of both - we can do better with the return value
Phaneuf_Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:15 AM   #40
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have the Flames given up on making the playoffs?

Hamonic is playing 21:18 minutes a game and is +2

How do the Flames replace these 21:18 minutes of ice-time?

Do they hope that Gio can carry an extra 4-6 minutes of hard minutes and start playing 28-30 minutes a game?

Are Kylington or Stone ready to bump up their ice time? How much ice time makes them obvious weak spots to be exploited?

The -14/15s of Andersson and Hanifin suggests that they are already getting more ice time than they can manage at a top-4 level on a winning team.

Consider keeping Brodie and Hamonic as the trade deadline deals and keep the draft picks needed to replace them.

The only way that either Brodie or Hamonic get traded is if the Flames are feel that they are not ready for a run this year need the draft picks for the future.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post: