Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2021, 10:33 AM   #901
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Chevy Volt was the "perfect" hybrid in theory but it didn't sell all that great and GM canned it.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 12:01 PM   #902
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

The perfect hybrid was already made: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_918_Spyder

TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 01:55 PM   #903
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
The Chevy Volt was the "perfect" hybrid in theory but it didn't sell all that great and GM canned it.
The original Volt was awesome but the refreshed one a few years later was a bland piece of junk.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 02:02 PM   #904
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
The original Volt was awesome but the refreshed one a few years later was a bland piece of junk.
GM is the master of coming out with promising tech then screwing it up, then giving up.
Old 12-16-2021, 10:09 PM   #905
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
My range dropped from about ~430km to ~310ish today in -19 when I started it up, based on yesterday's driving I think

Still more than enough to drive around Calgary a bunch but I probably would have to find a DC fast charger in Red Deer if I needed to make a comfortable trip to Edmonton.

I think gas is still the way to go for road trips for a long time. Maybe we'll see a modernized return of the Chevy Starcraft Van style as EV owners get dedicated Vanlife vehicles for travel. Drive, charge while you sleep, drive some more. No way people are gonna wanna stop in motels to wait for a 7kW charge.
I think most places in the world don't get to -19 and this is a fairly unique problem. For most people, it's just not going to be an issue
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:23 PM   #906
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I think most places in the world don't get to -19 and this is a fairly unique problem. For most people, it's just not going to be an issue

But it is still an issue that is on peoples minds and whether they’re going to buy a car that can do everything or onw where they’re limited to daily commuting. -19 isn’t that uncommon either of for a lot of Canada and northern US states. Maybe west coast and interior BC are okay, but I wouldn’t call -19 unique.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2021, 10:48 PM   #907
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by para transit fellow View Post
it is surprising how many charging stations are available between calgary and edmonton on this map

https://chargehub.com/en/charging-stations-map.html
For any kind of road trip, you really need the yellow ones on that map.

Still needs to be more of those.
Old 12-17-2021, 06:57 AM   #908
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
For any kind of road trip, you really need the yellow ones on that map.

Still needs to be more of those.
There are more level three charging stations on that map now than pre-pandemic (i.e. last time I looked). There are more in the works for communities in the AB-2 corridor

my late grandmother used to point out: "Rome wasn't burnt in a day you know..."

(I never had the heart to correct her)
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to para transit fellow For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2021, 08:37 AM   #909
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
GM is the master of coming out with promising tech then screwing it up, then giving up.
Doug seems pretty impressed with the new Hummer. Best EV truck in his opinion.

Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 09:17 AM   #910
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
But it is still an issue that is on peoples minds and whether they’re going to buy a car that can do everything or onw where they’re limited to daily commuting. -19 isn’t that uncommon either of for a lot of Canada and northern US states. Maybe west coast and interior BC are okay, but I wouldn’t call -19 unique.
It does become a huge issue for Canadians if the federal government mandates EV's or the banning of ICE engines. Without a practical alternative a significant chunk of our population could be affected.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 10:01 AM   #911
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm leaning towards a hybrid for my next vehicle, probably not a plug-in. I just don't think we have the full infrastructure ready for charging yet. I envision going to visit my parents who wouldn't have a charger or camping or snowboarding in the mountains, and looking for somewhere to charge and then have to wait to charge sounds like such a hassle. Not to mention the cold snaps we get.

It does seem like every auto maker is bringing some new form of alternative powertrain to market though, thats pretty awesome. I know its only a matter of time where there are just as many charge stations as gas stations, but that could be a decade or 2 away.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 04:21 PM   #912
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
I'm leaning towards a hybrid for my next vehicle, probably not a plug-in. I just don't think we have the full infrastructure ready for charging yet. I envision going to visit my parents who wouldn't have a charger or camping or snowboarding in the mountains, and looking for somewhere to charge and then have to wait to charge sounds like such a hassle. Not to mention the cold snaps we get.

It does seem like every auto maker is bringing some new form of alternative powertrain to market though, thats pretty awesome. I know its only a matter of time where there are just as many charge stations as gas stations, but that could be a decade or 2 away.
We don’t need nearly as many (out of home) charging stations as we have gas stations currently, not even remotely close.

Perhaps only in highway towns.
Old 12-18-2021, 05:19 PM   #913
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just to chime in with some more relevant driving for you guys who are looking at PHEVs.

I drove from Sherwood Park to South Edmonton common to do some shopping last week (33km - 25 min drive) and ended up averaging 4.8L/100km.

I thought it was pretty good, had the climate control at 20.5 and the car switched from EV to HEV (engine running) throughout the whole trip to keep the temp up inside as it was around -20 outside.

This will be pretty close to my daily commute when I get back to work and I'm happy with those numbers for the temperature outside. I am able to turn off the heat if I want and run EV only but for obvious reasons I don't haha.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2021, 05:25 PM   #914
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
How many EV truck are there in the wild? 2?
Old 12-18-2021, 06:18 PM   #915
Dynamic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Just to chime in with some more relevant driving for you guys who are looking at PHEVs.

I drove from Sherwood Park to South Edmonton common to do some shopping last week (33km - 25 min drive) and ended up averaging 4.8L/100km.

I thought it was pretty good, had the climate control at 20.5 and the car switched from EV to HEV (engine running) throughout the whole trip to keep the temp up inside as it was around -20 outside.

This will be pretty close to my daily commute when I get back to work and I'm happy with those numbers for the temperature outside. I am able to turn off the heat if I want and run EV only but for obvious reasons I don't haha.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Weird how these PHEV's do not have some sort of heater specially designed to run on fuel. Much like a semi has those little units they can turn on when they want to keep their sleeper warm but engine off. Running an entire engine just to provide heat seems a bit excessive to me. The only way I would ever consider a PHEV is if I could get a decent range 50Km in electric only mode but that is all for not if I need a gas engine to run just to heat the the cabin half the year.
Dynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 10:29 PM   #916
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Even in my regular hybrid, it runs the engine a lot more often in winter simply because the fan is running.

I definitely get the best mileage when I don’t need to run the climate control much (spring and fall)
Old 12-19-2021, 08:12 PM   #917
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
How many EV truck are there in the wild? 2?
Hah, if that, I guess. But Doug isn't grabbing vehicles from the wild, either. I think he's reviewed the Rivian, the Lightening, and the Hummer. Hybrids he's done the Maverick and Santa Cruz.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 01:06 AM   #918
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

Why does this thing look like it'd be the perfect pimp mobile if it was painted purple?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 09:40 AM   #919
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think those short truck beds are useless. We have three people at work with Ridgelines and they never use the back for anything. In fact one of them had to borrow a full size truck from another co-worker to take some shelves the business was getting rid of home. I just don't see the point of a truck that can't do truck things.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2021, 04:38 PM   #920
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I still think those short truck beds are useless. We have three people at work with Ridgelines and they never use the back for anything. In fact one of them had to borrow a full size truck from another co-worker to take some shelves the business was getting rid of home. I just don't see the point of a truck that can't do truck things.
You could fit a fridge or a washing machine in the box that wouldn't fit in a SUV.