Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2017, 05:26 PM   #221
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Irma's winds are a steady 295 kph gusting to 360 kph. I'm sure everything will be just fine.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:33 PM   #222
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Irma's winds are a steady 295 kph gusting to 360 kph. I'm sure everything will be just fine.
Also sure that accord1999 will post some context-free chart showing something or other about it not being related to climate change.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 05:48 PM   #223
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Nobody disputes Irma is a massive and very damaging storm if it hits Florida, but those sustained wind speeds are matched by Hurricane Wilma (2005), Hurricane Gilbert (1988) and the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane. All of these currently trail the maximum sustained wind speed of Hurricane Allen (1980) and Irma's central pressure is unusually higher than the earlier hurricanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Also sure that accord1999 will post some context-free chart showing something or other about it not being related to climate change.
The only context free claims are the ones that blames every modestly unusual weather incident on climate change.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:51 PM   #224
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok so how would you engineer solutions to mitigate climate change in a politically neutral way? I mean, how would you reduce GHGs by 50% over the next 40 years with engineering solutions that aren't political?

To blithely state that politics don't have a place in reducing GHGs seems completely delusional in my opinion.
I'm not saying politics don't have a place. I'm saying that politics will fail until their is a cheap alternative. Look at Koyoto, Copenhagen, and Paris. All agreements without teeth. Essentially everyone makes bold commitments while doing things within the realm of the current technology to reduce impact. The only way to actually reduce CO2 by 95% (you need to account for the 3rd world having equal CO2 emissions to the first) is for tech to save us.

Then you look at the US political system and lose all hope of them ever doing anything that isn't immediately cost effective.

So you could try to use this to lobby for change and you will run into Ann Coulter saying it's more likely that God hates Lesbians causing the storm than climate change or you can set design standards which account for the increased probability of storms and build to them.

As for what should be done: Canada should unilaterally start geo engineering the planet to save everyone. It's actually relatively cheap.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:57 PM   #225
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Atlantic ocean is usually warm, it's 0.5 to 2.0 degrees C above the average. Nobody is saying that there's some climate change god that's conjuring these hurricanes. What I'm saying, and all the other climate scientists, is that it's a key factor and that we ignore this at our peril.

We will *never* experience the disaster that was 100% the result of climate change. It amplifies events, it boosts frequencies, it just generally makes everything worse. We're so biased so as to just normalize these events because they're incrementally worse than before. But, I mean, I remember when lac-des-arc had water in it. I remember when Calgary actually had chinooks , I remember lots of snow, every winter. These things are now fleeting. One year is a huge dump, then another 3 years of nothing. Things did not used to be this way.

However continue posting charts from climate denial websites. We'll all have a good yarn.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 06:33 PM   #226
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Atlantic ocean is usually warm, it's 0.5 to 2.0 degrees C above the average. Nobody is saying that there's some climate change god that's conjuring these hurricanes. What I'm saying, and all the other climate scientists, is that it's a key factor and that we ignore this at our peril.

We will *never* experience the disaster that was 100% the result of climate change. It amplifies events, it boosts frequencies, it just generally makes everything worse. We're so biased so as to just normalize these events because they're incrementally worse than before. But, I mean, I remember when lac-des-arc had water in it. I remember when Calgary actually had chinooks , I remember lots of snow, every winter. These things are now fleeting. One year is a huge dump, then another 3 years of nothing. Things did not used to be this way.

However continue posting charts from climate denial websites. We'll all have a good yarn.
The thing I struggle with is we are looking at such a short sample size over the history of Earth that I just wonder how much of this is normal or not. For the last 100 years it is much higher in disasters and during that time we've increased CO2 etc...so I understand the likely relationships between the two.

But still, 100 years in the history of Earth, that's a really small snapshot

Last edited by simmer2; 09-05-2017 at 06:39 PM.
simmer2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:40 PM   #227
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't know that I agree with your observational data. I think we get more Chinooks (DiCaprio agrees with me) than we used to. There's been pretty consistent and very substantial snow packs in the mountains. Last year was massive. And it's been pretty cold out. Lac des Arc might be low due to hydrological controls. I'm not sure but there is no reason for it to be low. Kan Lakes are low now to accommodate potential flooding in the spring. Snow was melting until early July this year. The Bow is still higher than it has been some years. But all just my observation.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:25 PM   #228
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Hurricane Harvey / Texas South Coast

Quote:

Many gas stations around here (Delray Beach) are tapped out.

A bit before noon lines at gas stations were backing up major roads for blocks.

Cops at intersections and gas stations...

Calmer now that there's not much left to buy.

Imo, if she hits here the mayhem would be even worse than it would be in many other places.

After all we have the worst drivers and rudest people, apparently.

There are advertisements in the news, etc about ordering water from Amazon.

Amazon Prime; water in 2 days!

We can't get off of work early to take care of our homes because we're delivering water to people- kinda funny in a way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by missdpuck; 09-05-2017 at 07:29 PM.
missdpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:32 PM   #229
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Nobody disputes Irma is a massive and very damaging storm if it hits Florida, but those sustained wind speeds are matched by Hurricane Wilma (2005), Hurricane Gilbert (1988) and the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane. All of these currently trail the maximum sustained wind speed of Hurricane Allen (1980) and Irma's central pressure is unusually higher than the earlier hurricanes.

Except that none of those hurricanes happened in the Atlantic basin. Atlantic basin hurricanes don't hold onto Cat 5 status generally, and they certainly don't get up to 185+ mph winds. Gulf of Mexico/Caribbean hurricanes gain strength like that due to warmer, shallower water.

Hurricanes in the open Atlantic basin just don't get this strong. NOAA confirmed that Irma is the strongest hurricane ever in the Atlantic basin.

Yes, storms have always happened. Yes, strong storms have always happened. Yes, droughts have always happened and floods have always happened and wildfires have always happened, we're all fully aware of this. It doesn't change that more and more record-breaking events are happening globally. It doesn't change the fact that climate change is a real thing that is affecting weather events.

No one storm--not Harvey, not Irma, not Katrina, etc--is directly, 100% the result of climate change. We get it.
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 08:35 PM   #230
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You seem lost again, let me help direct you to a more relevant thread.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=137092
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:03 AM   #231
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post

What sets Irma apart is it reached cat 5 status far earlier and faster than any other storm on record and it did so in the Atlantic Basin before it even reached the Leeward Islands.

Wilma - Cat 5 in the South West Caribbean Sea for 1 day
Gilbert - Cat 5 in the West Caribbean Sea for 1 day
1935 Labor Day - Cat 5 for 12 hours in the west Bahamas
Allen - Earliest Cat 5 on record until now but again in the hot Caribbean Sea south of Puerto Rico

I haven't looked but I doubt there was even a cat 4 ever recorded east of the Leeward Islands

Last edited by Snuffleupagus; 09-06-2017 at 04:49 AM.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:59 AM   #232
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdpuck View Post
Many gas stations around here (Delray Beach) are tapped out.

A bit before noon lines at gas stations were backing up major roads for blocks.

Cops at intersections and gas stations...

Calmer now that there's not much left to buy.

Imo, if she hits here the mayhem would be even worse than it would be in many other places.

After all we have the worst drivers and rudest people, apparently.

There are advertisements in the news, etc about ordering water from Amazon.

Amazon Prime; water in 2 days!

We can't get off of work early to take care of our homes because we're delivering water to people- kinda funny in a way.

We tried to get water from Amazon on Monday. They guaranteed it in 2 days, but then quickly backtracked and notified us it wouldn't be here until late next week.

In other news, I could use some positive thoughts from CP in the coming days. If a potential category 5 hurricane wasn't scary enough, there's this:

Hurricane Irma is set to hit on Sunday the 10th
My wife is pregnant and her due date is Monday the 11th

It's brown trousers time.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2017, 05:38 AM   #233
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
We tried to get water from Amazon on Monday. They guaranteed it in 2 days, but then quickly backtracked and notified us it wouldn't be here until late next week.

In other news, I could use some positive thoughts from CP in the coming days. If a potential category 5 hurricane wasn't scary enough, there's this:

Have you considered going somewhere safer? It does not look good fro Boca Raton...

Last edited by Fuzz; 09-06-2017 at 05:41 AM.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:45 AM   #234
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post

Where are you?

All good thoughts to you guys.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:56 AM   #235
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Live webcam from the BVI's, probably pretty near where the eye is right now.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:41 AM   #236
Knut

Exp:

St Maarten and St Bart's have had massive damage apparently.

Barbuda has not been heard from yet.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:45 AM   #237
Knut

Exp:

St Maarten -

https://twitter.com/rci_gp/status/905381154970329088

Maho Beach - St Maarten during the worst of it

https://twitter.com/mikeseidel/statu...97849206267904

That is the beach where the planes land right over your headband.

St Barts

https://twitter.com/kwilli1046/statu...04747880046594

Puerto Rico is next.

Perhaps the thread title should be changed to Include hurrican IRma
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:48 AM   #238
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Maho Beach - St Maarten during the worst of it

https://twitter.com/mikeseidel/statu...97849206267904
Bwhahaha, you have to read the comments on this tweet.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:17 AM   #239
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

this is going to sound odd, but to me, it would be interesting to see one of these weather events in person.

of course I would want to know in advance that I could get out/survive
Old 09-06-2017, 08:19 AM   #240
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Have you considered going somewhere safer? It does not look good fro Boca Raton...
It's not possible unfortunately.

If we drive anywhere in Florida we'll probably still have to deal with this storm.

My wife cannot get on a plane...that's even IF we could get a flight out of here, which we can't.

The plan is for her to camp out at the hospital just before the storm hits. If she needs medical attention, they'll take care of her no problem. They have generators and the building is quite solid.

The only problem with that scenario is that I'm not allowed to go with her unless she's already in labour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdpuck View Post
Where are you?

All good thoughts to you guys.

In central/west Boca. We're in a relatively safe space. As long as we don't get flood waters like Houston, we'll be ok. I'm sure I'll be losing some roof tiles after this one though.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote