Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 08:31 AM   #801
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange brew View Post
i don't think wideman is going anywhere. I ma not sure flames are really willing to retain salary and i don't even know if that gets it done. Still think he has more trade value next year and team should be patient.
+1
Old 02-23-2016, 08:31 AM   #802
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agree that Backlund is a valuable piece that could be used on a top 6 winger and allow Bennett to shift fully to centre
Old 02-23-2016, 08:44 AM   #803
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Backlund but I don't think he's part of the "core" and I think his value is the best it's been and will be. He's playing on the second line and I think he's really only a third line guy, not to say he isn't doing well but I'd prefer for Bennett to step in and do better. I think Backlund would get us a pretty decent return as well, I don't know if it makes much sense shopping him now though. I could see him as part of the Hamonic deal in the summer with the Islanders...or to the habs for Galchen...I'm not going to even try right now.

Everyone wants to keep Backlund but most don't think he's a core piece and if you want to get something good you have to give something good.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:46 AM   #804
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
Weise sounds like the classic Bryan Bickell - Lance Bouma type guy who has one strong season, and gets a big contract that he doesn't come close to living up to.
I'd stay away.
No way! He's the Dutch Gretzky!

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...ruins-playoffs
Old 02-23-2016, 08:46 AM   #805
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: we'll start to miss Backlund the moment he's traded.

No other player on the team can do what he does. He's the perfect 3rd line centre who can also slot anywhere in the top 6 and be productive while being defensively responsible.

He's on a good deal. We need to bolster our forwards group, not weaken it.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:47 AM   #806
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

At some point, you don't maximize value on a guy like Backlund. You keep him and utilize him as a 3rd line center that is a defensive stalwart, and who also chips in with adequate defence.

I love Jankowski and I really think Arnold is due for a look up in the NHL, but you don't sell on Backlund because you have some guys in the pipe who MAY be ready to enter the NHL. I really love Jankowski, but I am positive that there is no way he can enter the league next year and replace Backlund in the lineup.

I don't think Backlund is a core piece. However, I do think that at times, you just have to identify players that you win with, and players that are expendable. Backlund is a guy you win with moving forward, or until there is a guy like Jankowski or Arnold who is actually pushing him out due to actually outplaying him in the NHL.

I have a feeling that even though Backlund is having a really good year, he is one of those guys that are a lot more valuable to their team than on the trade market.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 08:51 AM   #807
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree and disagree. Backlund is good and we'd miss what he brings to the lineup but having him in the top 6 is one of the reasons the team is where it is. Like you said, this team needs to bolster our forwards, our biggest need is in the top 6 and Backlund isn't a good top 6 player, he's a good bottom 6 player. We need to get someone who can score goals and put up points, sure Backlund does that but not well enough to be a legit top 6 guy. I agree that he's a perfect 3rd liner but like I said, we need to give up something to get something. If trading him makes a small hole on the third line (I think he can be replaced and the difference wouldn't be too bad) but fills a bigger hole in the top 6 then it's a win.

The team clearly isn't good enough, changes have to be made and as good as Backlund is and as much as he's liked by fans and teammates, I just don't think he fits here long term.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:52 AM   #808
Murph
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again: we'll start to miss Backlund the moment he's traded.

No other player on the team can do what he does. He's the perfect 3rd line centre who can also slot anywhere in the top 6 and be productive while being defensively responsible.

He's on a good deal. We need to bolster our forwards group, not weaken it.
Keeping a third line centre instead of trading him as part of a package to obtain a top six forward/winger as most are suggesting, isn't bolstering your forward group. It's weakening it.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:56 AM   #809
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Keeping a third line centre instead of trading him as part of a package to obtain a top six forward/winger as most are suggesting, isn't bolstering your forward group. It's weakening it.
What genuine top 6 forward is Backlund going to land? Galchenyuk?

I think C4L put it nicely. Backlund is a player that will have more value to his team on the ice than in the trade market. He's quiet, but extremely effective.

At the same time, I don't see him having huge trade value. Now, if he was just a piece involved for a trade for a young RWer like Toffoli, it's a different story. Nevertheless, I don't see that happening.

Backlund also isn't a 3rd line centre right now. By almost every metric he's a top 6 forward. He plays every tough matchup on the team. No other centre on this team can do that. I'd like Monahan and Bennett to step up soon, but they are young. Backlund allows them to develop without throwing them to the wolves.

Last edited by Ashasx; 02-23-2016 at 08:58 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 08:58 AM   #810
Murph
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I think C4L put it nicely. Backlund is a player that will have more value to his team on the ice than in the trade market. He's quiet, but extremely effective.

At the same time, I don't see him having huge trade value. Now, if he was just a piece involved for a trade for a young RWer like Toffoli, it's a different story. Nevertheless, I don't see that happening.
As I said, Backlund would be part of a package to obtain a top six forward. I'm not suggesting he brings back one on his own.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:59 AM   #811
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Good read from Haynes (as always) on the Flames search for goaltending.
http://www.flamesfrom80feet.ca/2016/...an-part-2.html

On this list I'd really be happy with 1 of Hutchinson, Hellberg, Raanta, Andersen, Forsberg. And I think we get one of them. Jack Campbell's finding his groove again and might be a player to take a flyer on as well.
There are lots of options in terms of trade. No goalie is really established except for Anderson and Kemp. I wonder if Management cheats out and goes with a Ramo/Ortio tandem next year. Ramo is only 29 and Ortio is only 24, so we know Ortio could still improve and we know Ramo is capable of being a light-starter on his best days.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:00 AM   #812
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

4th period claiming:

Penguins, Sharks, Islanders, Kings interested in Hudler
Stars, Wings, Capitals, Kings interested in Russell
Old 02-23-2016, 09:01 AM   #813
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depending on the return I wouldn't cry over Backlund being dealt. We have plenty of bottom six centers that could be called up and play the 4th line role while Stajan moves up to play third line. Plus, it's not like we have anything to lose by having Arnold or Shore or whoever show what they have to offer. If you have an opportunity to move Backlund and can improve the team long term, you make the deal. Backlund and Morrison for Drouin would make me move Backlund without any worries.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 09:01 AM   #814
Murph
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Backlund also isn't a 3rd line centre right now. By almost every metric he's a top 6 forward. He plays every tough matchup on the team. No other centre on this team can do that. I'd like Monahan and Bennett to step up soon, but they are young. Backlund allows them to develop without throwing them to the wolves.
Backlund is a top six forward on a team that will pick in the top 5 come draft time. I like Backlund as much as the next guy, but if he's in your top 6 forward group, you're not winning anything.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:01 AM   #815
prizefighterinferno
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I agree and disagree. Backlund is good and we'd miss what he brings to the lineup but having him in the top 6 is one of the reasons the team is where it is. Like you said, this team needs to bolster our forwards, our biggest need is in the top 6 and Backlund isn't a good top 6 player, he's a good bottom 6 player. We need to get someone who can score goals and put up points, sure Backlund does that but not well enough to be a legit top 6 guy. I agree that he's a perfect 3rd liner but like I said, we need to give up something to get something. If trading him makes a small hole on the third line (I think he can be replaced and the difference wouldn't be too bad) but fills a bigger hole in the top 6 then it's a win.

The team clearly isn't good enough, changes have to be made and as good as Backlund is and as much as he's liked by fans and teammates, I just don't think he fits here long term.
Very arguable. Backlund has the most points of any forward not on the top line, comparable counting stats to a guy like Kesler (and is also younger and on a substantially better contract), the best plus/minus on the team outside of Brodie, and our best possession forward (ahead of Frolik and Gaudreau).

Dude is far from the reason why the team finds itself where it is. In no particular order, more legitimate reasons why Calgary "is where it is":

Goaltending
Special teams
Kanye West
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to prizefighterinferno For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 09:07 AM   #816
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
4th period claiming:

Penguins, Sharks, Islanders, Kings interested in Hudler
Stars, Wings, Capitals, Kings interested in Russell
Possible trade going down today or tomorrow while being in the L.A. area?
Old 02-23-2016, 09:09 AM   #817
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't mean that he's the reason, this team needs another real top 6 player. Backlund isn't that kind of player but he's in the top 6 and he shouldn't be. To be used properly, he should be on the third line for the most part. He's a third line player on the second line and we have a second line player on our first line. Sure this team has depth, but it's in the wrong areas. The Flames have a lot of bottom 6 players and you don't win the game with a 3 lines of bottom 6 players.

Backlund is good. I like what he brings and I'm sure most do. Maybe a team is willing to give up a top 6 forward for Backlund + something. Getting a real top 6 forward would help this team a lot, sure there would be a bit of a hole in the bottom 6 but this team has enough players and prospects to make that hole less glaring then the current one we have in the top 6.

He'd help the special teams Kanye
He's not as good as he seems Kanye

He plays top 6 Kanye
He's not the fix Kanye

Sorry...I had to.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:15 AM   #818
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Backlund is a top six forward on a team that will pick in the top 5 come draft time. I like Backlund as much as the next guy, but if he's in your top 6 forward group, you're not winning anything.
And our line of X-Backlund-Frolik isn't the reason why.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:17 AM   #819
JJ1532
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I didn't mean that he's the reason, this team needs another real top 6 player. Backlund isn't that kind of player but he's in the top 6 and he shouldn't be. To be used properly, he should be on the third line for the most part. He's a third line player on the second line and we have a second line player on our first line. Sure this team has depth, but it's in the wrong areas. The Flames have a lot of bottom 6 players and you don't win the game with a 3 lines of bottom 6 players.

Backlund is good. I like what he brings and I'm sure most do. Maybe a team is willing to give up a top 6 forward for Backlund + something. Getting a real top 6 forward would help this team a lot, sure there would be a bit of a hole in the bottom 6 but this team has enough players and prospects to make that hole less glaring then the current one we have in the top 6.

He'd help the special teams Kanye
He's not as good as he seems Kanye

He plays top 6 Kanye
He's not the fix Kanye

Sorry...I had to.
Sorry, who is that?
Old 02-23-2016, 09:20 AM   #820
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Score running with:

Quote:
theScore NHL ‏@theScoreNHL 9m9 minutes ago
Report: Rangers' Yandle no longer available on trade market http://thesco.re/1mVafVy
Gilbert off the market. Yandle off the market. Polak already moved.

Treliving hopefully gets to maximize Russell's value.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread