peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 02:38 PM   #22
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Did you find something cool? Post it!
I recently purchased a really sweet cutting board made locally.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2020, 04:44 PM   #23
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Man, I really miss O'Connors.
I’m a pleb, so I don’t get to frequent it all that much. But without doubt, the best shopping experience a man can have when considering clothes and accessories.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:26 AM   #24
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been shopping at Supreme's for 30 years now - but they've been eerily silent since March. No Facebook/IG posts/emails whereas they used to send out something weekly. I hope they're still going.

O'Connor's seems to have an active online presence - but I know they are their own landlord (or at least were at one point).

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 11-14-2020 at 10:28 AM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2020, 07:40 PM   #25
FacePaint
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'll throw out some love for: https://www.belocal.org/

As an aside banking locally makes a massive difference too.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:58 PM   #26
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
I've been shopping at Supreme's for 30 years now - but they've been eerily silent since March. No Facebook/IG posts/emails whereas they used to send out something weekly. I hope they're still going.

O'Connor's seems to have an active online presence - but I know they are their own landlord (or at least were at one point).
This could be the smartest thing they ever did owning their own property. Basically can shut down without worry of rent until this is over. Furlough staff and bring them back. Fixed costs are basically inventory, minimal heat, and property tax.

They may end up champs on the other side of this. Their competitors will be cheap suits on Amazon. Could be a good local story.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2020, 10:40 PM   #27
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacePaint View Post
I'll throw out some love for: https://www.belocal.org/

As an aside banking locally makes a massive difference too.
Forgive my ignorance, do you mean ATB? anyone else?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 11:28 PM   #28
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Forgive my ignorance, do you mean ATB? anyone else?
The various credit unions would be local too.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2020, 11:39 PM   #29
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love international grocery stores so I’ll just add the aptly named Dutch Store and The Italian Store.

https://www.thedutchstore.ca
http://www.italianstore.ca
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 11:51 PM   #30
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Please no pissing matches in here. Post a local shop or GTFO
I think it is perfectly reasonable to discuss whether the local shops posted offer value for a consumer. Seems a bit dodgy to expect everyone to assume local=better without any discussion about whether or not it’s true.

I’d love to shop at peter’s friends store but I’m not into plaid or the hipster look. The prices don’t bother me.

I’d also mention I’ve tried to shop at gravity Pope and found their service was subpar, even snobby. They also didn’t seem to stock a lot of local goods. They were priced like a high end boutique though.

On the other hand, I’ve always love the source. Even if I’m no longer their target demographic.

However I’m interested in locally made casual men’s clothing. Camp brand looks neat.

Also +1 for banking locally. Credit union for life!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 11:54 PM   #31
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I love international grocery stores so I’ll just add the aptly named Dutch Store and The Italian Store.

https://www.thedutchstore.ca
http://www.italianstore.ca
I would also recommend both Lina’s and Edelweiss, if we’re talking international food stores.

We also have a number of local comic shops that are great. Words and Pictures on centre st is great. The hippie looking guy is super cool and I remember him from my u of c days when they had a store next to subway. Phoenix 16th is owned by a CPer. Another Dimension is massive and has crazy good selection.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2020, 12:02 AM   #32
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I would also recommend both Lina’s and Edelweiss, if we’re talking international food stores.

We also have a number of local comic shops that are great. Words and Pictures on centre st is great. The hippie looking guy is super cool and I remember him from my u of c days when they had a store next to subway. Phoenix 16th is owned by a CPer. Another Dimension is massive and has crazy good selection.

I have been meaning to check out Edelweiss, since it’s not too far away. I used to frequent Lina’s regularly, but the last couple of years it has shifted away from mostly groceries and kitchen items to expand it’s dining area. They do serve really good food though.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 12:31 AM   #33
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think it is perfectly reasonable to discuss whether the local shops posted offer value for a consumer. Seems a bit dodgy to expect everyone to assume local=better without any discussion about whether or not it’s true.

I’d love to shop at peter’s friends store but I’m not into plaid or the hipster look. The prices don’t bother me.

I’d also mention I’ve tried to shop at gravity Pope and found their service was subpar, even snobby. They also didn’t seem to stock a lot of local goods. They were priced like a high end boutique though.

On the other hand, I’ve always love the source. Even if I’m no longer their target demographic.

However I’m interested in locally made casual men’s clothing. Camp brand looks neat.

Also +1 for banking locally. Credit union for life!
Happy to hear you like the Source. Less17, derived from them. I don't even think they have any plaid. But, premium, high quality garments, they certainly do.

What the aim of this thread, is not is dodgy. There are no nefarious, undertones here. The aim is to support the local economy. It's not rocket appliances, for anyone in this thread, to be able to find better products online/not-in-YYC.

If you'd like to take the discussion into buying locally vs cheaper alternatives, elsewhere -- please fill your boots. It submarines the intent of this thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2020, 11:21 AM   #34
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I don't know...I'm not sure you can divorce a conversation about buying local from also talking about the typically higher cost of doing so.

I own a store in Calgary and a couple of times a week somebody will call, email or walk in and start with, 'I'd like to support local, but...'

After the "but" is always how they've found it cheaper elsewhere, but would like to support me if I can get my prices down. I used to tell them the guy in China selling a similar item doesn't pay his staff a liveable wage, a yearly bonus, sick days, nor medical and dental benefits. He also doesn't pay Calgary rental rates, or as much as I do (no make-up air unit, emergency shower, PPE, quality equipment, etc.) on probably every expense.

Now I don't bother going through any of that because it's a waste of breath. If you start with, 'I'd like to shop local' then you have to instantaneously accept you'll be paying more. My answer is along the lines of, are you looking to shop local or are you looking for the best price. It typically can't be both.

So what are the benefits of shopping local? Once upon a time it meant higher quality. I don't think that's true anymore, though. There are talented people and quality factories and stores almost everywhere in the world now. The main benefit is your money stays in our area. If you buy something from surferguy, he's likely to use his profit to expand his business, buying raw materials from a local wood shop, who bought their inventory from a local sawmill, who employed people in some weird little BC town, where a guy there paid his federal Canadian taxes, which get put back into the Canadian economy. And on it goes.

Buying local is pretty powerful and benefits us all, but there isn't an immediate benefit for the purchaser and that makes it a little unsatisfying to do. You're really throwing a few cents to a whole bunch of Canadians, but nickels and dimes make dollars so it adds up.

I think it's reasonable to be put off by the higher cost of buying a local. I think it is incumbent on people that can afford it to spend the extra money on local as much as possible, though. It's a responsibility.

If you can't afford to, then there are other great, high-quality options all over the world and you don't need to feel bad shopping where you need.

Just don't set out to buy local and then try to grind down a local business to meet the lower prices of off-shore competition. To do so is entirely missing the point of buying local.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 11:22 AM   #35
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Also, you don't have to buy everything local. Maybe just set out to buy a couple of things locally and you can Amazon the rest. Every little bit helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2020, 11:39 AM   #36
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Happy to hear you like the Source. Less17, derived from them. I don't even think they have any plaid. But, premium, high quality garments, they certainly do.

What the aim of this thread, is not is dodgy. There are no nefarious, undertones here. The aim is to support the local economy. It's not rocket appliances, for anyone in this thread, to be able to find better products online/not-in-YYC.

If you'd like to take the discussion into buying locally vs cheaper alternatives, elsewhere -- please fill your boots. It submarines the intent of this thread.
That’s not really the point. No one said it’s about local vs cheaper foreign alternatives. No one tried to even say that, not sure why that was your first thought.

It’s about being able to discuss whether local goods need to be “premium” to be high quality.

I’d also strongly question the difference between locally owned and locally produced. I’m not sure if buying a $750 sweater that isn’t even made in Canada is the best way to support local. Is it even higher quality? Or is it a premium fashion brand? Are they just selling an item with much higher margins but doesn’t produce it’s goods ethically?

Gravitypope sells made in Taiwan Kodiak boots. Is that the kind of supporting local that you’re into? Because I’m not.

These are very important discussions if you want to differentiate between supporting local or not. Otherwise it’s just a high end fashion thread with no concern for local and sustainable businesses.

So yeah, trying to stop people from discussions the quality and value of these local businesses seems wrong.

No one is trying to submarine this thread. But it sure seems like we’re being told that only certain opinions about these businesses are allowed. Would you really want to support a local business that is selling overpriced crap?

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 11-15-2020 at 11:41 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2020, 11:56 AM   #37
WinnipegFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Also, you don't have to buy everything local. Maybe just set out to buy a couple of things locally and you can Amazon the rest. Every little bit helps.
Not sure what your business is in but is it something the average person can buy or is it industry specific? If so I need to start Christmas shopping!
WinnipegFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 12:01 PM   #38
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnipegFan View Post
Not sure what your business is in but is it something the average person can buy or is it industry specific? If so I need to start Christmas shopping!
Thanks for thinking of me, but I actually prefer to keep it private. I used to be more open about it on here, but then some a-hole gave me a one-star review and told the Internet how "the owner hates dogs." I found that pretty stressful and totally offside so now I keep my business name to myself here.

To be honest, it's not a good place for Christmas shopping, anyway, so you're not missing out on anything. Thanks again, though.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2020, 12:44 PM   #39
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That’s not really the point. No one said it’s about local vs cheaper foreign alternatives. No one tried to even say that, not sure why that was your first thought.

It’s about being able to discuss whether local goods need to be “premium” to be high quality.

I’d also strongly question the difference between locally owned and locally produced. I’m not sure if buying a $750 sweater that isn’t even made in Canada is the best way to support local. Is it even higher quality? Or is it a premium fashion brand? Are they just selling an item with much higher margins but doesn’t produce it’s goods ethically?

Gravitypope sells made in Taiwan Kodiak boots. Is that the kind of supporting local that you’re into? Because I’m not.

These are very important discussions if you want to differentiate between supporting local or not. Otherwise it’s just a high end fashion thread with no concern for local and sustainable businesses.

So yeah, trying to stop people from discussions the quality and value of these local businesses seems wrong.

No one is trying to submarine this thread. But it sure seems like we’re being told that only certain opinions about these businesses are allowed. Would you really want to support a local business that is selling overpriced crap?
You didn't specifically say it, but your example of it does. You support, and use the example of the Source; Literally nothing they sell is locally manufactured, yet the goods you would be supporting are Fortune500 brands. (Volcom, Quik, Adidas, Nike, NB, VF)

the Source does give back more to the AB/YYC skate/snow scene than anybody ever has or will.

There is locally designed, yet manufactured for the most part elsewhere.;
CAMP like you mentioned, Sunday7, LL, BYSB, .. sadly even Lifetime (rip). Heck Jamie & Lyndon of Herschel are both from YYC. Simply put, it is tough to accommodate YYC/locally manufactured. Scalability takes these brands to 2nd world countries.

My original, and same ask is support of local retailers. Some of their brands are locally designed, but most is manufactured elsewhere. A discussion between Volcom & vs the local brands is much more constructive than the contrast between an $800 Rick Owens button up, & a $250 Filson. Same goes with the local shops vs the Sporting Life's & Nordstroms.
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2020, 01:06 PM   #40
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

For knickknacks and small gifts that are geared towards women (somewhat) there's a local shop in East Village called Liz & Lottie. I used to pop in there every so often and pick up a gift or doodad. I think they only have curbside or delivery right now. Either way, I love it there.

Good sale on now too.

https://lizandlottie.ca