Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2020, 03:40 PM   #201
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Pad View Post
Also, today I just learned that TIL stands for "today I learned".

</endthread>
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:29 AM   #202
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
We don’t have cable, so missed Schitts Creek and all that was happening around it on TV. Wife and I just binged it on Netflix and loved it. Then we watched the “behind the scenes” show on Netflix...

I had no idea David was “Daniel Levy”... and it’s so obvious! I just thought it was great casting, and Eugene co-wrote it with his brother or something. Kinda neat to learn about that after we had finished the show, but I feel boneheaded!
ok. that's funny. laughing with you and not at you.

did you also know that Twyla, the waitress in the cafe, is Eugene Levy's daughter?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:42 AM   #203
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
ok. that's funny. laughing with you and not at you.

did you also know that Twyla, the waitress in the cafe, is Eugene Levy's daughter?
Also found out during the behind the scenes show. But certainly didn’t feel as clueless as the Dan Levy realization!
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:34 PM   #204
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
Wow. Musical genius. Haven’t listened to that in a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
This is a good cover of a great song

found another good cover. Let's make it a trifecta:

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:34 AM   #205
BowRiverBruinsRule
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Candy manufacturers, like skittles and sour patch kids, sell excess inventory and/or expired product to pig/cattle farmers as food. Had no idea.
I also learned this recently. We have numerous third party vending machines at my place of work. They used to just throw expired product in the garbage. They now pack the expired product up and take with them. The local Hutterites purchase (for cheap, cheap) and feed to their farm animals.
BowRiverBruinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:34 AM   #206
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowRiverBruinsRule View Post
I also learned this recently. We have numerous third party vending machines at my place of work. They used to just throw expired product in the garbage. They now pack the expired product up and take with them. The local Hutterites purchase (for cheap, cheap) and feed to their farm animals.
You can get grass fed beef, I wonder when they'll begin marketing skittles fed beef.

Gaudreau could be the spokesperson.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2020, 04:44 PM   #207
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have always thought it was weird that racially mixed people like Iginla and Obama were just called black instead of mixed, especially in America. It only recently occurred to me that this is likely influenced by the “one drop” racial purity rule that was used in the US to identify people with even a single black ancestor as being black. Had never heard of that rule before.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:18 PM   #208
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You are eligible for a treaty card if you are 1/64 th indigenous. I was told this but the teller did not show me his card.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:35 PM   #209
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

I learned that the Nintendo company was formed in 1889. 132 years old! They started out manufacturing playing cards, diversified many times over the years and then ended up in video games in the 1970s.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 02:52 PM   #210
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
You are eligible for a treaty card if you are 1/64 th indigenous. I was told this but the teller did not show me his card.
Not according to government of Canada regulations, but it could be true if the person is in a first nation that determines their own band membership.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:23 PM   #211
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
I know a guy who does this. There is nothing about him remotely indigenous, or his parents, or anyone within 50 years of him. Grew up in the suburbs, very well off, it's literally a technicality, someone along the line was part indigenous, and he somehow clutched onto it in his 30s. He looks as white as Conan O'Brien. He abuses the living hell out of the tax advantages, and benefits. Re-sells the cheap tax free Tabaco etc....

It's not cool, and not who the benefits are designed for, and how they are designed to be used. At that point it's just a straight up tax scam IMHO.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:27 PM   #212
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I found out my wife doesn't want a new car. Also found out I don't listen so well.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:21 PM   #213
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've done a lot of reading and research on different types of investing my money. I was always good at saving money and slapping it in a mutual fund, but now I've learned more about my risk tolerance level and where I want my money to take me.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2020, 06:44 PM   #214
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I know a guy who does this. There is nothing about him remotely indigenous, or his parents, or anyone within 50 years of him. Grew up in the suburbs, very well off, it's literally a technicality, someone along the line was part indigenous, and he somehow clutched onto it in his 30s. He looks as white as Conan O'Brien. He abuses the living hell out of the tax advantages, and benefits. Re-sells the cheap tax free Tabaco etc....

It's not cool, and not who the benefits are designed for, and how they are designed to be used. At that point it's just a straight up tax scam IMHO.
What tax advantages and benefits? Just curious because aside from the white card (fuel and tobacco tax exemption) there really aren’t any benefits I’m aware of unless you also live on a reserve as well.
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:12 PM   #215
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
I found out my wife doesn't want a new car. Also found out I don't listen so well.
You should thank her for accelerating your retirement then too, since that is essentially what she has done. Unless it's still spending the same amount on a higher end used car, or buying something else. It's called opportunity cost.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:14 PM   #216
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
I've done a lot of reading and research on different types of investing my money. I was always good at saving money and slapping it in a mutual fund, but now I've learned more about my risk tolerance level and where I want my money to take me.
read the millennial revolution website. they have a whole free series on investing. lots of other FIRE-related websites out there too... but keep in mind you don't have to be eating-cat-food-frugal (or Mr. MMM). It comes down to consistently making good financial choices and truly differentiating needs from wants. Now if only I could get my wife on board... sigh....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2020, 09:18 PM   #217
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
read the millennial revolution website. they have a whole free series on investing. lots of other FIRE-related websites out there too... but keep in mind you don't have to be eating-cat-food-frugal (or Mr. MMM). It comes down to consistently making good financial choices and truly differentiating needs from wants. Now if only I could get my wife on board... sigh....
I could never really get into that. I much prefer some balance and want to enjoy life as I live it. Of course I save a lot and I plan for retirement, but those extreme measures not doing anything along the way are just not something I’m interested in. I’m not even convinced it works, but that’s a whole other discussion.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:13 PM   #218
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
I just did a small dive into their articles, and while their lifestyle may work for them, I dont think its entirely for me (no kids, no house, no cars). The investing strategy however seems reasonable enough, modest gains over a long term. However I think I'd want more than 1 mil in the bank before thinking of retirement.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:19 PM   #219
toonmaster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Lindsay Hamilton on TSN
Old 12-09-2020, 01:51 PM   #220
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
I just did a small dive into their articles, and while their lifestyle may work for them, I dont think its entirely for me (no kids, no house, no cars). The investing strategy however seems reasonable enough, modest gains over a long term. However I think I'd want more than 1 mil in the bank before thinking of retirement.
As mentioned there are different levels and approaches to FIRE. Here's a link to those looking for some more info:
https://www.finiki.org/wiki/Getting_started

The following site will be super useful to most of ya'll. For the "extra income" this may include pension or OHS, lottery winning, or inheritance.

https://engaging-data.com/will-money-last-retire-early/

Here's a more simplified version:
https://investmentcalculator.io/?ref...veincomeearner

This next one addresses the so-called 4% Trinity rule. btw WR = Withdrawal Rate.

enjoy... would be interesting to know how much time ya'll end up spending on all these just running scenarios.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post: