Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2020, 09:47 AM   #1241
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

The markets and the reality of the economy are currently at two extremes.

We have many people in our country out of work, barely getting by, or on the streets.

The markets, which are a vehicle for accumulating wealth for those with excess capital beyond their basic survival needs, are on fire and are increasing the net worth of a certain segment of society that have the capital to invest.

Inequality is being exasperated as a result. The gap is widening between the haves and the have nots.

I have lots of capital in the market. I am benefitting from this. However, the widening inequality of "recovering of the economy for some, but not all" is jarring.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:51 AM   #1242
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

nm

Last edited by flamesfever; 11-25-2020 at 11:03 AM.
flamesfever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:05 AM   #1243
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post

We have many people in our country out of work, barely getting by, or on the streets.

The markets, which are a vehicle for accumulating wealth for those with excess capital beyond their basic survival needs, are on fire and are increasing the net worth of a certain segment of society that have the capital to invest.

Inequality is being exasperated as a result. The gap is widening between the haves and the have nots.

I have lots of capital in the market. I am benefitting from this. However, the widening inequality of "recovering of the economy for some, but not all" is jarring.
This is nothing new, unfortunately. We've seen this time and again.

And it's common that the markets are looking good while the worst news comes out in these scenarios. Rising cases/fatalities, but the markets look ahead to the vaccine and positive news coming down the pipe.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2020, 11:12 AM   #1244
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post

And it's common that the markets are looking good while the worst news comes out in these scenarios. Rising cases/fatalities, but the markets look ahead to the vaccine and positive news coming down the pipe.
Yes, I think it's generally accepted that the market tends to look ahead something in the order of 6 months. I think that's probably when the vaccination program will be in full swing in Canada, if not sooner.

Last edited by flamesfever; 11-25-2020 at 11:18 AM.
flamesfever is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfever For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2020, 04:55 PM   #1245
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
Yes, I think it's generally accepted that the market tends to look ahead something in the order of 6 months. I think that's probably when the vaccination program will be in full swing in Canada, if not sooner.

And in that same vein I strongly feel the market is going to be "looking ahead 6 months" sometime in the next 10-20 years where everything is seriously crashing and millions lose a huge chunk of their life savings because the ways of the West are crumbling, as the market goes with it and fails to recover like it always has. But that is likely a little myopic for the spirit of the thread and what we can possibly know.

But I definitely fear there will be a time with automation and erosion of Western dominance where a bunch of us younger people see a correction in our way of life and along with it a correction in the market that doesn't recover.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 05:24 PM   #1246
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
And in that same vein I strongly feel the market is going to be "looking ahead 6 months" sometime in the next 10-20 years where everything is seriously crashing and millions lose a huge chunk of their life savings because the ways of the West are crumbling, as the market goes with it and fails to recover like it always has. But that is likely a little myopic for the spirit of the thread and what we can possibly know.

But I definitely fear there will be a time with automation and erosion of Western dominance where a bunch of us younger people see a correction in our way of life and along with it a correction in the market that doesn't recover.
Why would an Erosion of western dominance crash the markets?

Asia has a lot of people and capital !
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 05:36 PM   #1247
jayswin

Exp:

Sorry, western based stocks that we are all heavily invested in!
Old 11-25-2020, 06:05 PM   #1248
Mayo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

If the Western economies run into major trouble sometime in the future then with the way our monetary policy is currently focused (print print print) I think you will want you money in the market for the ride or else you will lose everything via hyperinflation.

Argentina's main index is up ~500% since 2016
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:15 PM   #1249
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
If the Western economies run into major trouble sometime in the future then with the way our monetary policy is currently focused (print print print) I think you will want you money in the market for the ride or else you will lose everything via hyperinflation.

Argentina's main index is up ~500% since 2016
Or Crypto!!!
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:39 PM   #1250
Mayo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Or Crypto!!!
Ya, crypto is a tough one. Personally I’m avoiding it. But I also avoided Tesla for the last 5 years because I’ve continually thought it was over-valued
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:08 AM   #1251
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're worried about hyperinflation and/or the way our governments are handling monetary policy, I don't see how you can't have at least a little bit of your portfolio in crypto. I see it much in the same way as gold..no need to go crazy, but 3-5%.

As for the erosion of the west, I think that's well under way and we're already in the midst of a wealth transfer eastward (which started as soon as we started shipping all our jobs over there to say a couple of bucks). The trick is trying to figure out how to stay ahead of it, and/or find ways to invest more over in that part of the world. I'm open to ideas!

Last edited by Table 5; 11-26-2020 at 07:13 AM.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:02 PM   #1252
jayswin

Exp:

I was thinking of picking up a bunch of NIO stock at one point, kind of fell out of favour for some canadian stocks and I forgot to revisit it. $53 right now. Chinese Tesla make me a millionaire please!
Old 11-26-2020, 03:07 PM   #1253
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I hopped on the SPAQ to FSR train at the right time.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:19 PM   #1254
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any interest in PLTR? It was picked up by Canada pension plan recently and has more than doubled it's price since DPO in September. Main costumers seems to be US governmental entities so revenues would be somewhat stable.
Izzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:29 PM   #1255
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I was thinking of picking up a bunch of NIO stock at one point, kind of fell out of favour for some canadian stocks and I forgot to revisit it. $53 right now. Chinese Tesla make me a millionaire please!
I picked it up around $30 and thought I might have missed the boat but so far they are doing great. Their recent earnings report was positive so hopefully they can keep momentum going and keep delivering cars.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:37 PM   #1256
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
XPEV would've been a pretty nice play too.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2020, 08:21 PM   #1257
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Been looking at some large caps into Xmas. Consider SPG. after the 95.5ish area, it has room to 120. I'm going to look at taking a position soon, especially if it can break that 95.5 zone. Might take a starter tomorrow and buy the dips over the next week.

Retail play. Likely a 1month swing. I have to chart fibs and time fibs on it, but just looking at the break and supply zone above and that gap is sexy af

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Last edited by manwiches; 11-26-2020 at 08:25 PM.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:27 PM   #1258
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I hopped on the SPAQ to FSR train at the right time.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Lol. I've had SPAQ/FSR in the 8s. No reason it should have gone there, if it wasn't for Milton messing stuff up for SPAC plays. What a great run yesterday. The AH action screams gap up tmw PM. I scaled a bit, but want more.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:27 PM   #1259
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

LSPD has been money for me since I bought in in May. Wish I put all my pennies in that one at the time. Now should I sell?, good at investing, not good at trading.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 04:46 AM   #1260
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
LSPD has been money for me since I bought in in May. Wish I put all my pennies in that one at the time. Now should I sell?, good at investing, not good at trading.

Sell LSPD? I'm in on them as well and definitely not selling at $68. Their 3rd quarter revenue was incredible. Obviously none of us know anything, but I could definitely see them being a $100 company at some point.

I ended up buying most of mine at $33ish after knowing I wanted them at $20 and leaving it for awhile.