Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2019, 04:22 PM   #141
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
This thread would not have been possible on CP only 3 years ago. It was only through my blood, sweat, and being twice banned that I pushed the Overton Window to making a Style Police thread a 7 page masterpiece.
It's only a 3 page masterpiece you 20 post per page pleb.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 05:42 PM   #142
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

! Where can you change that?
Old 08-21-2019, 05:54 PM   #143
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

So now that we have short and shoe fashion completed, can we move on to jeans and casual wear?

I’m having a heck of a time finding decent fitting denim. I’m not a huge fan of the heavy taper, but with the right shoe combo I can make it work.

Who else is just over 6’ but has gazelle legs and broad shoulders? I can’t find the right proportional shirt length to jean style to shoe. Be forewarned though, I’m 44 and have a striking resemblance to George Clooney. So cutting edge fashion is definitely out, I feel weird in it. That’s for the kids.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:58 PM   #144
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
So now that we have short and shoe fashion completed, can we move on to jeans and casual wear?

I’m having a heck of a time finding decent fitting denim. I’m not a huge fan of the heavy taper, but with the right shoe combo I can make it work.

Who else is just over 6’ but has gazelle legs and broad shoulders? I can’t find the right proportional shirt length to jean style to shoe. Be forewarned though, I’m 44 and have a striking resemblance to George Clooney. So cutting edge fashion is definitely out, I feel weird in it. That’s for the kids.
I'll rep my pal's store in Inglewood, and recommend Left Field denim. Good quality raw denim, and mainly with a mid-rise, and a less narrow taper than most.

It is great. I own a couple pairs of the Atlas fit for my giant man quads and calves.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:10 PM   #145
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
! Where can you change that?
On the top left of the page, "User CP"
Under 'Settings and Options', choose "Edit Options"
Under 'Thread Display Options', pick your poison.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 06:35 PM   #146
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I'll rep my pal's store in Inglewood, and recommend Left Field denim. Good quality raw denim, and mainly with a mid-rise, and a less narrow taper than most.

It is great. I own a couple pairs of the Atlas fit for my giant man quads and calves.
Is that Dutil?

I’ve had a lot of success with jeans and the recommendations at Dutil, but jeans are also tricky. You CAN spend $60 on a great pair, or $200... or $400.

Just try on brands until you find the right fit. But a dedicated jean shop like Dutil is a really really good place to do that.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:55 PM   #147
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon26

My bad, I was busy finishing something at work and forgot to include to the link.

No! My buddy Kyle runs North American Quality Purveyors, he has a small but well-curated denim selection. Check him out!

https://shopnorthamerican.com/collections/denim
Old 08-21-2019, 08:15 PM   #148
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
On a general fashion note, is it just me or has everyday fashion not really changed all that much in the last 15 years? When I compare pictures of myself and family from 1990 to 2005, the difference in clothing is drastic. But when I look at pictures from 2005 compared to now the disparity is pretty small. Clothes were a bit baggier, but that's it. Looking at old Youtube videos from the mid 2000's seems to back this up, none of the guys in this video would stand out too much wearing the same stuff today

Part of this is the internet.

We can all see what good fitting closing looks like. We can all find out what brands are actually high quality.

Weird looking fads can't really exist in world where people can be internet shamed too.

I do think you are exaggerating the lack of trends though since the mid 2000s, we've seen ultra skinny jeans, true religion jeans with huge patches on the back pockets, affliction shirts, Ed Hardy, loud socks, hipsters, ironic vintage fashion, etc...

Generally men's fashion has deviated towards a more classic style, which is good.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:16 PM   #149
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Is that Dutil?

I’ve had a lot of success with jeans and the recommendations at Dutil, but jeans are also tricky. You CAN spend $60 on a great pair, or $200... or $400.

Just try on brands until you find the right fit. But a dedicated jean shop like Dutil is a really really good place to do that.
I've had bad experiences at Dutil. They have lots of brands, but pour selection within the brands. The staff are a very mixed bag. For example, I had someone try to sell me dry denim, but didn't know whether that model was sanforized or not.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:21 AM   #150
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Corsi even referenced his John Lobb shoes. What is a guy who can afford Lobb doing on a Calgary Flames messageboard?
Here's the big question: Are they the original John Lobb Ltd. or the Hermes-owned John Lobb Paris?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:37 AM   #151
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He mentioned Alden, so I’m voting the British OG
Old 08-22-2019, 11:20 AM   #152
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I've had bad experiences at Dutil. They have lots of brands, but pour selection within the brands. The staff are a very mixed bag. For example, I had someone try to sell me dry denim, but didn't know whether that model was sanforized or not.
The horror!

Ok, I have no idea what dry denim or sanforized means, and why I'd want either.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 11:25 AM   #153
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The horror!

Ok, I have no idea what dry denim or sanforized means, and why I'd want either.
Unsanforized denim shrinks (at least 2 full sizes) when you get them wash them the first time, and sanforized might shrink only slightly, if at all. It's a pretty important thing to know if your job is selling high end denim.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 11:27 AM   #154
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, well that might be a bit horrific to have to lose 2 sizes to fit in your new jeans. Point taken.

That's why I buy the stretchy ones.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:35 AM   #155
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Unsanforized denim shrinks (at least 2 full sizes) when you get them wash them the first time, and sanforized might shrink only slightly, if at all. It's a pretty important thing to know if your job is selling high end denim.
Aren't you not supposed to ever wash dry (raw) denim? Does anyone actually take this advice? And what do you guys do to keep them fresh and clean?
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:38 AM   #156
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Aren't you not supposed to ever wash dry (raw) denim? Does anyone actually take this advice? And what do you guys do to keep them fresh and clean?
I very rarely wash my jeans (I try to wear them for a minimum of 8 months before washing for the first time), and when I do, I hand wash with cool water in my tub. Otherwise I spray them with a mix of vinegar and water then put them in a freezer bag and into the freezer.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:42 AM   #157
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I sometimes wash mine after about a year to get those fades, baby.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:03 PM   #158
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post

Sounds like you had a similar issue to me. Average athletic build/borderline pudgy. I'd tried a ton of different types of jeans. For whatever weird reason, William Rast were the only higher end jeans I liked, but I didn't like the price tag on them. I've tried all sorts of "value" brands in between, but in the end, I think I will only buy the Levi's 541 Athletic fit.

Everything else Levi's does not work for me at all fit wise, especially the skinny jeans (my calves get caught in the thigh area, how the hell people have chicken legs like that is beyond me and I don't have insane sized calves). I feel like I end up getting punched in the balls every time I sit down in the classics and other fits. No such issues with the 541 for me. I am exactly 6 feet, but for your longer legs I think you would be looking at a pair of jeans that are "waist" x 34 long rather than x30 or 32 long. The Athletic fit is really nice and stretchy for a reasonable price. They're also super durable (3+ years on 3 pairs so far vs I used to rip many other brands of jeans within less than a year) and comfy (balls not crushed when I sit down).

I've been damn lucky at Levi's. In the last month or so with their current summer clearance and discounts, I nabbed 4 pairs for an average of about $40 per pair. The stuff that's not clearance I think was around $55 a pair if you bought 2 and most of everything else was 20% off I believe.

EDIT: For some of the comments about the expensive denim washing/cleaning, I really don't know why I was expecting to read a bunch of comments about getting them dry cleaned. Some of those jeans are way more expensive than the typical formal wear or business wear and most people don't think twice about dry cleaning that stuff. (Especially if you're only doing it once or twice a year as some posters are mentioning)

Last edited by DoubleF; 08-22-2019 at 12:06 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:33 PM   #159
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
For unsanforized denim, you soak it first then let it shrink to fit. You get the best fit this way, as the denim literally shrinks around your body and creates a perfect fit.

During the soaking you do your best not to disturb the materials, so that the dye loss is minimized.

For sanforized pairs, the idea is to wait as long as you can before the first wash, to get the best possible contrast in the fade. Yes that can be gross.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:44 PM   #160
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

... I’m not suppose to wash my denim? Holy crap I’m leaning a lot.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote