Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2019, 03:29 PM   #2381
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
You can most certainly carpet just a stairwell. I can't recommend anybody because everybody I've ever had to do carpet has sucked.

The bannister will cost a ton. Probably at least $10K. They're all done by hand still and is very labour intensive, and usually only the best carpenters get to work on them. I imagine glass bannisters would cost around the same.
Dang, I'll have to do some measurements on the current bannister when I get home... but I sure hope I'm not looking at $10k, I may just stick with the rusty POS that's on there now in that case.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:32 PM   #2382
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

You want metal bannisters? I think that's even more. Paint them perhaps instead?

It cost me $9000 back in 2002 to get wood bannisters put in our new house build.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:02 AM   #2383
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

I measured the current bannister and it's roughly 43" wide at the top level (aka the second floor of my place) and 60" along the run of stairs before the landing.

If 43" x 60" is gonna cost $10k, I'd expect it to be comprised of old growth forest and rare earth magnets.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #2384
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What do you live in, a house for ants?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:48 AM   #2385
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
What do you live in, a house for ants?
Roughly 1,100 square foot townhome... honestly for the two of us we could go smaller.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:19 PM   #2386
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone have an idea of what closed form spray foam insulation should cost per board ft (installed)?

I thought the going rate was $1.25 or less. But am seeing a quote at $1.50 per board ft and the job is a decent size (5000 board ft +/-)

If you have any leads on solid guys who charge a fair price please let me know.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:16 AM   #2387
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's expensive.

If anything their workload has picked up as virtually all residential and commercial builds now have some spray foam component to them.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:20 AM   #2388
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It appears the "foundation parging" (excuse me if thats the wrong term, got it from a quck google) appears to be falling off at different points around my house. Is this something i should be worried about in regards to my foundation? I notice there is a little bit of exposed wood now in one part.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:01 PM   #2389
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone have recent experience with a 2nd story addition in Calgary that can share their $/sq. ft. cost? Just trying to get a sense on whether or not it's worth moving this idea out of the day dream faze.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:07 PM   #2390
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
It appears the "foundation parging" (excuse me if thats the wrong term, got it from a quck google) appears to be falling off at different points around my house. Is this something i should be worried about in regards to my foundation? I notice there is a little bit of exposed wood now in one part.
Not really, no. Parging is mainly decorative to give the exposed foundation more of a decorative look. You could patch it pretty easily. Not sure why wood would be exposed though. Usually the tyvek house wrap comes down a bit over the foundation, then the parging covers that.

Under my 2 foot deck, I had a rotting ledger board that needed replacing, but with the close quarters under the deck, I couldn't get the new one in without ripping down the parging. Nobody can see under there, so I didn't bother replacing it.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 01:28 PM   #2391
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Does anyone have recent experience with a 2nd story addition in Calgary that can share their $/sq. ft. cost? Just trying to get a sense on whether or not it's worth moving this idea out of the day dream faze.

It depends on your existing bungalow. In Toronto for example, second story additions are quite common because a lot of the old houses have structural brick that can accommodate the load of a second floor. In calgary it's not so common because we have a lot of 2x4 construction that is not sufficient for the second floor load. It sort of comes down to that. If your house can handle it, it is a great way to add footage and value...you're typically building bedrooms and a bathroom...no kitchens so it's relatively cheap. If not you're pretty well looking at a tear down and new build. At least that was the case ten years ago. Not sure if things have changed recently.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:09 PM   #2392
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

2x4 can handle second floor load just fine. The only reason 2x6 came into use was for extra insulation thickness.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:20 PM   #2393
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
2x4 can handle second floor load just fine. The only reason 2x6 came into use was for extra insulation thickness.

It depends on the build. Mine was 24 on center so that was insufficient for a second floor. They have to be 16. And there has to be extra support added in different places.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:45 PM   #2394
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

2x4 @ 24 is uncommon.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:53 AM   #2395
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Hey - I find the PVC pipes that stick out of my wall for my HE furnace to be kind of ugly. Anybody know of a sleeve or cover or something that could go over them to make them look nicer?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:58 AM   #2396
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Hey - I find the PVC pipes that stick out of my wall for my HE furnace to be kind of ugly. Anybody know of a sleeve or cover or something that could go over them to make them look nicer?
Paint?
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:31 PM   #2397
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have three hardwired and interconnected Kidde combo smoke/CO alarms in the house that are ready to be replaced, and I've sourced three Nest Protect hardwired models to swap them with.

However, I am having one hell of a time finding what circuit the smoke alarms are on, no thanks to the lazy incompetent f&$% who labeled the utility panel in 2008 (and yes I removed the backup batteries). Are smoke alarms in Alberta required to be connected to the mains, or is it possible they share a circuit with something else? I'd prefer not to have to cut the principal power if I can.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:58 PM   #2398
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
We have three hardwired and interconnected Kidde combo smoke/CO alarms in the house that are ready to be replaced, and I've sourced three Nest Protect hardwired models to swap them with.

However, I am having one hell of a time finding what circuit the smoke alarms are on, no thanks to the lazy incompetent f&$% who labeled the utility panel in 2008 (and yes I removed the backup batteries). Are smoke alarms in Alberta required to be connected to the mains, or is it possible they share a circuit with something else? I'd prefer not to have to cut the principal power if I can.
They will typically be on a hallway light circuit I cant remember but I think it is code it's a safety measure so you will know when the circuit is out by trying to turn on the light but I would buy a voltage detector to make sure the circuit is dead before doing any kind of electrical work
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2019, 09:28 PM   #2399
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Robo is bang on, just remember though that the smoke alarm is not switched, it shares the same hot wire but isnt connected downstream of your light switch. Basically means you have to use the breaker as your isolation point.

It will be on one of the lights/plugs or general breakers more than likely.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 10:56 PM   #2400
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh my. Exel Homes must being using cheap nails...

https://globalnews.ca/news/5916734/c...deck-collapse/