Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-02-2021, 05:53 PM   #61
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud_McCool View Post
Golden crispy wings from Pizza 73 are delicious.
Salt and Peppers are good too.
Pizza 73's overall quality though wildly depends on which location you order from.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2021, 05:43 AM   #62
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartcar View Post
It's not the deep frying vs baking, it's the fat in the skin and the Buffalo sauce which is about 50% fat (butter at the Anchor Bar, margarine at Ed's back in the day). If you want healthier chicken wings deep-fried salt-and-pepper wings will have fewer calories than baked Buffalo wings.
That makes sense. In Canada it's not common to find Frank's red hot as a sauce vs buffalo. Frank's has almost no calories.

Just looked it up and it's only 800-900 calories for a pound of wings in Frank's. If you're using that as an appetizer, not the best, but manageable otherwise.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:55 AM   #63
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

My favourite wings are still Rips Pub. They used to have one in the NW where the Hudsons is in Crowfoot, and I remember eating 60+ 15 cent wings on Wednesdays there during University.

Rips has Saskatchewan style Buffalo wings, which is Ranch and Franks hot sauce mixed together. They still have a Rips in the deep south, and some buddies and I make the drive down there a few times a year just to taste those delish Sasky Buffalo wings.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the-rasta-masta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2022, 07:58 PM   #64
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bumping an old thread...

Anyone been to Mugshotz lately? Still a decent place to pregame? How are the wings?
Old 03-15-2022, 04:13 PM   #65
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
My favourite wings are still Rips Pub. They used to have one in the NW where the Hudsons is in Crowfoot, and I remember eating 60+ 15 cent wings on Wednesdays there during University.

Rips has Saskatchewan style Buffalo wings, which is Ranch and Franks hot sauce mixed together. They still have a Rips in the deep south, and some buddies and I make the drive down there a few times a year just to taste those delish Sasky Buffalo wings.
bobby's place also does their buffalo wings this way. oh and nixx pub
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 09:49 AM   #66
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
bobby's place also does their buffalo wings this way. oh and nixx pub
Bobby's place tavern in Braeside? That has had a for lease sign on it for months, unless something changed.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 09:51 AM   #67
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Bobby's place tavern in Braeside? That has had a for lease sign on it for months, unless something changed.
they have another location in legacy
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2022, 12:33 PM   #69
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll you about chicken wings. Why, back in my day, before chicken wings became the pub favourite and appetizer of choice, they were the cheapest thing you could buy. Some butchers used to just throw them out. Being poor, we pretty much survived on them for while. I remember being a kid and going with my parents to get them from the butcher before they were discarded as waste.

Whoever came up with Buffalo Wings must have made a fortune.
Old 03-16-2022, 12:57 PM   #70
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I'll you about chicken wings. Why, back in my day, before chicken wings became the pub favourite and appetizer of choice, they were the cheapest thing you could buy. Some butchers used to just throw them out. Being poor, we pretty much survived on them for while. I remember being a kid and going with my parents to get them from the butcher before they were discarded as waste.

Even in the late 90s, when I was first going to bars, many bars gave them away almost free if you bought a drink. During undergrad in Victoria, we had a cheap wing place every day of the weak. We'd pay 5-25 cents/wing and feast on 60+ a night.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:58 PM   #71
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

Buffalo Wild Wings is crazy. Their "wing night" wasn't even that great a deal, it was buy one get one free, which ended up being 10 wings at about $20, so 20 for $20 on wing night.

They even rolled that back recently to buy one get one 50% off. Wings are expensive almost everywhere now, save for a few .25 - .40 wing nights.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 11:30 PM   #72
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I remember 10c wings downtown Tuesdays somewhere around 1998-2000. I wish I could remember where exactly, it wasn't 17 ave but on or close to 12 ave. Things have changed so much down there in twenty years! We'd each order 50-70 wings and drink a few pitchers. I remember doing the math and it didn't even make sense back then unless chickens grew on trees.
CASe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 07:33 AM   #73
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Bumping an old thread...

Anyone been to Mugshotz lately? Still a decent place to pregame? How are the wings?
I was there two weeks ago on a Friday. It was packed. Chicken wings can't be beat there. I had friends down from Edmonton that weekend and they were blown away.

I talked with the owner. She is putting in four taps for local craft beers..
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 07:47 AM   #74
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I bake mine now. I use Kenji's method that makes them crispy in a convection oven (air fryer).

I make my own buffalo sauce so I can cut down on the butter a bit.
I don’t live in Calgary so I can't comment on wings at restaurants, but I just wanted to repost this video. This is the only way I make wings, I've fried them, air fried them, and baked them other ways but this is still by far the best way. You can alter it a bit by adding things to it but you really don't have to. You can prep them the day before and cook a TON all at once. Try this.
Old 03-17-2022, 08:03 AM   #75
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I smoke mine, so good.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:13 AM   #76
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

We bought a deep fryer last year. Not an air fryer but an actual deep fryer. The kids love making homemade fries and chicken tenders. For me, the real revelation has been how easy it is to make great wings. We make wings every few weeks for sure and they are so good and really easy.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:43 AM   #77
DigitalCarpenter
Backup Goalie

Exp:

All Beer Catering in the Calgary Soccer Centre does a solid wing. They smoke them then deep fry them, then they are dressed with an in house BBQ sauce. Super crunchy and the sauce compliments the smokiness nicely.

I'll crush an order of these while watching my kids play soccer. Just happy they are old enough to play on the big field now next to the pub.
DigitalCarpenter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:47 AM   #78
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalCarpenter View Post
All Beer Catering in the Calgary Soccer Centre does a solid wing. They smoke them then deep fry them, then they are dressed with an in house BBQ sauce. Super crunchy and the sauce compliments the smokiness nicely.

I'll crush an order of these while watching my kids play soccer. Just happy they are old enough to play on the big field now next to the pub.
I'll double down on the All Beef Catering love. Great smoked meats, especially those smoked wings!

moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:53 AM   #79
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've yet to find anywhere in Calgary that can beat Mug Shotz for wings. Just so damn good and consistent.

But smoked wings are delicious too, thats a good compromise.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 05:11 AM   #80
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I remember 9c wings at Dixon's Pub in Midnapore in 2007. 9c wings and 4$ schooners, what a time to be alive.
indes is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to indes For This Useful Post: