Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-20-2021, 01:20 PM   #1
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default 2021 Scotties Tournament of Hearts

Alberta won their opening draw last night and PEI beat Saskatchewan this morning by stealing one in the 10 end.

Wish I could go to Canada Olympic Park and watch this event. COVID-19 is no good.
Svartsengi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:15 PM   #2
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Canada vs. NWT game postponed this afternoon as one of NWT team members has food poisoning. They all got tested for Covid 19 anyway even though it sounds like she is feeling better now. Wonder what she ate?. Gas station sushi never a good idea
The Following User Says Thank You to Svartsengi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 03:03 PM   #3
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Amazing that Homan is in the bubble, 7 months pregnant. When I was 7 months pregnant, I was no longer walking, I was rolling.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 04:48 PM   #4
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

I was surprised to see Team Canada listed as the favourite by a betting site -- no disrespect to Kerri Einarson's rink. It's been a while since Team Canada defended the title, and when it did, it was a Jennifer Jones crew.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:00 PM   #5
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A number of these teams have not played or practiced in some time. I think Einarson has so that could have something to do with it.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:43 PM   #6
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Good point. I didn't really think of it that way. Preparation certainly is an X factor.

A nice start for Alberta. I'm looking forward to seeing how they stack up versus Ontario tomorrow night.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:48 PM   #7
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yah, Einarson was the favourite at +180 with Jones and Homan following at +300.

I love that I have some curling to watch, sadly the competition level is horrible for this event. Way too many teams and the pool set up omits so many marquee matchups for the first 6 days.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:08 AM   #8
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

How odd that all 3 WC teams are from Manitoba. Though Chelsea is stepping in for Fleury on one of them...i will always cheer for her.

Lots of curling to watch this week and compared to what else is on these days (soulless flames team) its a welcome break.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:10 AM   #9
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Yah, Einarson was the favourite at +180 with Jones and Homan following at +300.

I love that I have some curling to watch, sadly the competition level is horrible for this event. Way too many teams and the pool set up omits so many marquee matchups for the first 6 days.
The cream always rises to the top in these events though...the set up just delays some marquee matchups until they mean even more.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:41 AM   #10
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
The cream always rises to the top in these events though...the set up just delays some marquee matchups until they mean even more.
Oh I know, this format, and the amount of gimmies on the schedule will help the better teams get it together after such a long lay off. But it is not good when most of the games are conceded after 8 ends.

You can pad your bank during theses games however. Coolbetts.com has single game betting.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:46 AM   #11
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

They're showing Alberta twice today! Hope they win both!

Old 02-21-2021, 08:49 AM   #12
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
How odd that all 3 WC teams are from Manitoba. Though Chelsea is stepping in for Fleury on one of them...i will always cheer for her.

Lots of curling to watch this week and compared to what else is on these days (soulless flames team) its a welcome break.

Yeah, it seems like a few of the teams not from Manitoba broke up. Carey, Rocque, Eyelashes etc... Zacharias and Peterson are ranked 11 and 12 and got into the 3 wildcards.

Old 02-21-2021, 11:08 AM   #13
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Alberta, Ontario, and NWT with strong showings in the morning draw for victories. Einarson and Peterson tight game going to 10th end
Old 02-21-2021, 04:25 PM   #14
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

PEI loses after being up by 4 in the 9th. Ouch. Too bad, I kind of like that team.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:33 PM   #15
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

That was a disappointing finish for Walker.

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 11:20 AM   #16
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stamps (past and present) showing their support for the Scotties

dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:31 AM   #17
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Amazing that Homan is in the bubble, 7 months pregnant. When I was 7 months pregnant, I was no longer walking, I was rolling.
Homan is 7 months pregnant? Holy smokes. I watched the ON/AB game last night and didn't even realize. That's amazing.

On another note, it seems like the icemakers might also be having some trouble with COVID times. I've only watched bits a pieces of games but there seems to be problems with the ice not acting normal. I wonder if lack of fans or just lack of practice is causing it? Or maybe the ice is fine and the players are out of practice reacting to changing conditions? Hopefully that gets sorted out later in the week.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:36 AM   #18
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Homan is 7 months pregnant? Holy smokes. I watched the ON/AB game last night and didn't even realize. That's amazing.

On another note, it seems like the icemakers might also be having some trouble with COVID times. I've only watched bits a pieces of games but there seems to be problems with the ice not acting normal. I wonder if lack of fans or just lack of practice is causing it? Or maybe the ice is fine and the players are out of practice reacting to changing conditions? Hopefully that gets sorted out later in the week.
They are having problem with it being too arid. They are saying the pebble is literally evaporating before it hits the ice. I presume they have brought in humidifiers as the ice seemed better last night. It is much easier for them to control the temperature inside with no fans, people not constantly entering and leaving the building throughout the day and no debris associated to deal with either.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:50 AM   #19
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
They are having problem with it being too arid. They are saying the pebble is literally evaporating before it hits the ice. I presume they have brought in humidifiers as the ice seemed better last night. It is much easier for them to control the temperature inside with no fans, people not constantly entering and leaving the building throughout the day and no debris associated to deal with either.
Yesterday morning relative humidity was 20%....today its 84%.

They may have been piping humidity in, but mother nature has given them a big hand today as well.

I expect the ice to be excellent moving forward.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:37 AM   #20
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Brown was on fire this morning. Made every shot, all the big ones too, and was practically 100%. Beat Carey 7-5. That group is now really balance with Quebec in first.