Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-15-2020, 11:16 PM   #1
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default What Have You Learned Recently?

I thought this might be a fun idea for a thread, hopefully one with some 'aha!' moments for everyone. Lots of different ways to answer the question in the title, so go nuts. Some examples:

A fact you didn't know before: for me, today's fact was that Aburi Sushi is seared. Sort of like nigiri but with a blowtorch.

Or a lesson you've learned: for me, it was don't rent a place to someone who makes bad life decisions.

Or a new skill: I learned that I can make the worlds most delicious chicken sandwich.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:30 PM   #2
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Driving 11 hours in the car with a 15 month old isn’t a great idea.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2020, 01:36 AM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Always make sure that you are aware of where the stairs are before you try to make a cool entrance at a BBQ only to fall face first and rip your arm open. (Yeah that was today, and I hadn't even had a drink yet).

When having a family dinner that features more elderly parents make sure that you steer the conversation away from politics unless your intention is to find an excuse to go home early, then go for it.

Remember that when you are about to say something in a large gathering that could be inappropriate that the room will suddenly go silent just as you say it. Its called the law of reduced social standings.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:28 AM   #4
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Or a new skill: I learned that I can make the worlds most delicious chicken sandwich.
Go on...
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2020, 10:02 AM   #5
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Driving 11 hours in the car with a 15 month old isn’t a great idea.
There are probably a couple hundred people here who could have told you that.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2020, 10:05 AM   #6
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

digging out to the base of a retaining wall in a pain in the....
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:20 PM   #7
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I learned an appreciation for something yesterday. Embroidery samplers are pretty cool. I never would have given them any thought but a nice woman told me all about this sampler at an estate sale. -- They're basically embroidered or stitched practice pieces done by young girls a long time ago. They usually consist of rows of ABC's, numbers, small pictures or patterns. The interesting part is that they usually have the girl's name, location and date stitched in as well. The one I was looking at was Elizabeth Cranston, Aged 12. Connecticut, 1797. Yeah that's pretty cool.

So I checked online last night and there have been samplers sold at auction for upwards of a million dollars. The most expensive one was by a girl in the colonies who was burned as a witch in the 1600's. Another was by a girl who became a serial killer in 1700's England. If I can figure out who Elizabeth Cranston is I might have something.

One other thing I learned yesterday was that my distant cousin was a bit of a kook. He was an avid Nazi artifact collector and in the 1960's he was convinced he had the gun that Hitler killed himself with. Yesterday I found out that it was of course not that gun. But it was an amazing thing none the less.

His plan was to start a Nazi museum and have people from all over the world come and see his amazing collection which also included a Car owned and driven by Hitler, several of Hitler's original paintings, clothing and photos by the hundreds. But the center piece was of course the most collectible and arguably most important gun of the 20th century.

The only problem was he lived in Swift Current. So no one ever came to his quonset museum to see what was in reality the largest and best collection of Nazi stuff ever collected in one place. My cousin was not discouraged by the lack of interest until the leading expert on Nazi stuff said the gun wasn't the one Hitler killed himself with. It was a nice gun. A genuine AH plated correct in every way pistol likely owned by the Fuhrer himself. But not THE gun.

In the coming months he began parting out his collection and selling everything a bottom dollar. Flags, knives, belt buckles, asparagus servers, Eva Braun's underwear, a treasure trove of...well...crazy stuff you'd not expect to find at a farm outside Swift Current. So needless to say he did not get top dollar. But he was free of the stuff that had burdened humanity so terribly and which over time became his personal burden.

Years later the pistol that wasn't the one that ended the horror of fascism, death, destruction and holocaust turned out to be a very important pistol after all. In 1944 a team of assassins was sent to Berlin to kill Hitler. And by all accounts they had come closer than any other. They entered an apartment where Hitler was known to live in Berlin. The proverbial coffee pot was still boiling. They had missed him by only minutes. One of the team members, a Canadian soldier whose name is included in the provenance of the weapon, snatched the nickle plated pistol from the desk where Hitler had been working. It was an incredibly brave, daring and risky mission. The team made it out of the apartment but was shredded in the coming days as they attempted to gain passage from Berlin amid the bombing and shelling being hailed on the city by the Russians who had been rapidly approaching all winter.

The gun made its way back to Canada as a war trophy and changed hands a few times. What was never in question was the provenance of it...straight from Hitler's desk snatched by a mercenary conducting the most important operation of the entire war. The allies had asked the Russian army to hold off on bombing Berlin for a week to allow them to operate safely. But of course the gotterdammerung couldn't be halted. Not for four people. And not in the middle of the end of the world.

A short 20 years later the gun left my cousin's possession in rural Saskatchewan. It left likely in a box with a few other things picked over by an astute collector who over time gathered the notoriety of the gun and sold it for hundreds of thousands. I never met this particular cousin but had always heard he was strange and never made any attempt to contact the members of his family, his friends or community. He lived alone and isolated until he died not too long after he sold the balance of his collection.

Until yesterday I had assumed the family legend of this guy owning Hitler's suicide gun was not possible. But that was what my family believed...that we had once own this special gun and our crazy cousin sold it for cheap. It had become sort of legend in my weird family history...a tree that should have likely been chopped down a few generations ago. But here we are. And so I Googled the guy and sure enough, a small, local Swift Current newspaper story published a story about him several years ago explaining the history, the real history of an amazing gun.

We like to pretend we are interesting in my family. We pretend we are important. I've had relatives appearing in a world history of their own creation before. An uncle who worked on the Manhattan project...from his house in Edmonton. And a radar enthusiast great uncle who has proof of ufo's and who was forced to live in isolation under observation by NASA. My Nazi collecting cousin from Swift Current, in his mind, been the one entering the bunker in the last days of April and who had witnessed the ending of all great evil. The only problem was the world that emerged, the real world, didn't match his great expectations.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2020, 01:05 PM   #8
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I learned fairly recently that pickles are actually pickled cucumbers. Blew my mind.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2020, 01:20 PM   #9
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I'd highly recommend the podcast "I Don't Know About That" with Jim Jefferies.

Jim's a comedian that has a guest on each week that is an expert in something. Jim says everything he knows about the topic. Then the expert corrects and fills in the gaps.

Really interesting.

Show topics have been stuff like bees, cheese, cars, the Marines, the Olympics, the moon landing.

Really interesting stuff, plus it's hilarious.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2020, 01:53 PM   #10
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I learned fairly recently that pickles are actually pickled cucumbers. Blew my mind.
FYI Santa isn't real either
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2020, 02:00 PM   #11
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
FYI Santa isn't real either
Ummmm.... say what now?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2020, 02:31 PM   #12
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

I have spent 50+ years of my life not being able to see things in my head, and I just realized this after a talk with my wife. I always assumed that people were just "saying" that thy pictured things in their head, i have never been able to see anything in my Third Eye. Have discovered that i have a condition called Aphantasia that is fairly new to the scientific community - kinda mind blowing realization after this many years.
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to socalwingfan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2020, 02:40 PM   #13
NinePack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I learned that dogs dont lay eggs.
NinePack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NinePack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2020, 06:40 PM   #14
Guest1

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwingfan View Post
I have spent 50+ years of my life not being able to see things in my head, and I just realized this after a talk with my wife. I always assumed that people were just "saying" that thy pictured things in their head, i have never been able to see anything in my Third Eye. Have discovered that i have a condition called Aphantasia that is fairly new to the scientific community - kinda mind blowing realization after this many years.
Piggy-backing off this one: I had heard of people "seeing music" but when my daughter told me that letters were either boy or girl when she was in kindergarten, I thought she was koo-koo or just playing imaginary friend kind of games. But after testing her over a couple of days, she was telling the truth. Turns out she has: Ordinal-linguistic personification (OLP, or personification for short) is a form of synesthesia in which ordered sequences, such as ordinal numbers, days, months and letters are associated with personalities and/or genders. She doesn't have any other of the 80 other types of synesthesia (that I know of?) but 5 years later when I ask her, she is still adamant that letters are male or female.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2020, 06:46 PM   #15
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

The guy who composes GoT, Westworld etc can “see music”. Sounds ####ing trippy.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:52 PM   #16
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I have phantosmia, aka olfactory hallucinations. Brains are so weird.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:06 PM   #17
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
This is interesting, but what does it mean to "see things in your head"? That is vague to me. I imagine things, but I don't think I see a clear image like a photograph. It is pure thought.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...ds-eye/383345/

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/docproject/...an-t-1.5279114

Last edited by troutman; 08-16-2020 at 07:44 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:26 PM   #18
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
This is interesting, but what does it mean to "see things in your head"? That is vague to me. I imagine things, but I don't think I see a clear image like a photograph. It is pure thought.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...ds-eye/383345/

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/docproject/...an-t-1.5279114
I definately think in images/replaying scenes, text, and voices. What is thinking in pure thought like. I don’t think I do it. My thoughts are more tied to senses.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:39 PM   #19
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I have the same condition, I can't visualize anything. The best example I can think of is related to film adaptations of books - you'll hear people say "that character looks nothing like I pictured him", but since I have no mental image of any book character, that never made any sense to me until I realized people literally created images in their heads when reading.

Words are only sounds to me, not inextricably twined with pictures. I think it gives an advantage in some ways, but I certainly would make a very poor fighter pilot or sculptor.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:02 AM   #20
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Interesting, so does that extend to memories? Can you picture people you've known or places that have had some meaning to you in your past (childhood home/neighbourhood or school)?
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote