Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 09:52 AM   #3101
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey 'thisisanoutrage', preseason is over. Get to work!
Old 01-14-2021, 09:56 AM   #3102
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
As bad as Koskinen was last night the reality is that Smith would have likely been worse. I still don't understand why they didn't bring in a better backup that could push Koskinen as it's probably going to cost them dearly.

The Oilers have a different philosophy than the other teams, according to MacTavish. The best way to develop talent is through failure. By the end of the season, look for Koskinen to become the league's best goalie.

Considering how much 'development' has been going on in Edmonton over the last 14 years, - I mean, no other team in North American sports has developed this much after all - I think that all their fans and media are right to be so excited about. This must be the year!
Old 01-14-2021, 09:56 AM   #3103
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Have to wonder if this will be the year that finally breaks McDavid. He’ll probably still win the scoring race but I honestly believe their defence and goaltending are the worst it’s been in a long time... and that’s saying a lot. So that leads to the potential of another year where the team puts up 4+ goals per game and still loses.

McDavid will be playing 27+ minutes per game in a condensed schedule. He’ll be burnt out. To top it off, there will be no fans to cheer him on. Only the anchors they call depth players to cheer for him while he and Draisaitl drag them around every game. None of this sounds like he will have much fun.

Another miss of the playoffs and I believe that’s it. He’ll be past half-way through his big contract by the end of this year. He’ll be asking for a trade. It’s not like anyone would blame him for wanting out. Even oiler fans would have to understand by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
I think they were bad but how can the be good when game 1 ice for their big 3:

McDavid 26:24
Nuge 23:17
Leon 20:59

Why do you play a forward 26+ game 1 when you play again tonight? To play 26 that starts right from the start of the game. Depth got no chance to play

I've said this many times during off season. Oilers depth sucks but they will never get better sitting on the bench. Oilers fans think look we got turris we got jesse back. Look at our depth now. They need to play them and if they fail and McDavid gets 20 mins a game and it costs them a playoff spot at least they know and they get a better pick in draft. But they still haven't learned what it will take to win. They can't just ride 3 forwards from game 1 through the rest of the season and 4 rounds of playoffs. Edmonton is no good
I mentioned this in my previous post but I think McDavid actually played 7 of the last 10 minutes when the Oilers were desperate.

I saw him play two full 2-minute Powerplays and he was even on the ice for at least 90 seconds of that Oilers Penalty Kill at the end of the 3rd and he was on the ice at the end of the game, he rang one off the crossbar.

I swear if they'd been focusing more on the Oilers bench you'd have probably seen McDavid gliding over and a frantic Tippet waving him off...

"Permission to Buzz the Tower Conner!!! Get back out there! We need you Connor McDavid! You're our only hope!"

And I echo the sentiment. Playing him ~27 minutes on a back to back? Why?

I dont even know what to think about this team. Holland re-arranged the deckchairs on the Titanic but unless he thinks he hit a home-run somewhere then this Oilers team actually looks worse than it has in the past...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-14-2021, 10:04 AM   #3104
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tippett is gonna prorate Conner's ice time.

In a normal 82 game season he averages 22 minutes but in a 56 game season he should be able to play 32 minutes a night.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 10:09 AM   #3105
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Why do you play a forward 26+ game 1 when you play again tonight? To play 26 that starts right from the start of the game. Depth got no chance to play

I've said this many times during off season. Oilers depth sucks but they will never get better sitting on the bench. Oilers fans think look we got turris we got jesse back. Look at our depth now. They need to play them and if they fail and McDavid gets 20 mins a game and it costs them a playoff spot at least they know and they get a better pick in draft. But they still haven't learned what it will take to win. They can't just ride 3 forwards from game 1 through the rest of the season and 4 rounds of playoffs. Edmonton is no good
Not even joking but since two of the three mentioned really only play a 100 foot game the TOI isn't as bad as it looks. McDavid takes 45-60 sec shifts but he ain't actually playing 45-60 secs when you include back checking. He plays in bursts and then glides...its like watching a Midget hockey hero out there. Brutal.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:17 AM   #3106
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Carolina has waived Forsberg this morning...oilers probably claim him right back.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:24 AM   #3107
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
One thing that still gets me is they still say Decade of Darkness.

They've sucked since 2006. It's 2021 now.

I know math is hard.
Decade of Darkness ended, but now we are firmly in the middle of the Decade of McDarkness and its been glorious
The Following User Says Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 10:24 AM   #3108
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Based on that, the other 9 forwards get to divvy up the remaining 105+ minutes of ice-time, averaging less than 12 minutes each.

You cannot develop, or even engage other players in that scenario.

Three guys average over 23 minutes, and the other 9 guys average under 12 minutes, and then everyone blames the bottom 6 for not doing enough. It doesn't take long before those guys say FU!
Old 01-14-2021, 10:32 AM   #3109
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Based on that, the other 9 forwards get to divvy up the remaining 105+ minutes of ice-time, averaging less than 12 minutes each.

Three guys average over 23 minutes, and the other 9 guys average under 12 minutes, and then everyone blames the bottom 6 for not doing enough. It doesn't take long before those guys say FU!
This is really important and I think gets often over-looked, and the moment that sticks in my mind the most was an interview with Deryk Engelland when he was still here in Calgary.

He just said that its hard to play your way into a game when you're not getting any minutes. You cant get engaged, you cant find your rhythm you cant get into the groove or the ebb and flow of the game when you're trotted out there for 45 seconds and then sit on the bench for 10 minutes and go completely cold.

And then Engelland got minutes and look what happened. Imagine that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 10:35 AM   #3110
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

But that depth!
Old 01-14-2021, 10:38 AM   #3111
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

It actually averages out to 23:33 for the big 3 and if you add Yaomoto and Kassian who got around 16 each. The rest hardly played.

Jesse got 13 mins last night but Oilers media and fans thinking he will get 60 points. Good luck.

They basically played 3 dmen too. Larsson, Koekkoek and Jones were all around 15 mins.

McDavid Nuge Leon and Barrie all got around 7 mins on the PP too. Ask how players develop offensively when they get 0 opportunity. I think most of the PP time for the rest of the team came on a clear with less than 20 seconds on the PP and basically time for 1 last rush. Not real PP time but sure they got a few seconds in the boxscore. Edmonton is no good
Old 01-14-2021, 10:39 AM   #3112
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejean31 View Post
edmonton and surrounding areas only. Lmao!!! Nobody outside of edmonton would be stupid enough to actually want that monstrosity. What the hell is with the so called artists in that city? Zack frigging kassian?? Really.
Found one! Kassian collection... hahaha!!!
https://twitter.com/user/status/1349457483023093762
The Following User Says Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 10:41 AM   #3113
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Lol. Does that collection include Kassian's mugshot?
Old 01-14-2021, 10:42 AM   #3114
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
This is really important and I think gets often over-looked, and the moment that sticks in my mind the most was an interview with Deryk Engelland when he was still here in Calgary.

He just said that its hard to play your way into a game when you're not getting any minutes. You cant get engaged, you cant find your rhythm you cant get into the groove or the ebb and flow of the game when you're trotted out there for 45 seconds and then sit on the bench for 10 minutes and go completely cold.

And then Engelland got minutes and look what happened. Imagine that.
This is why playing good players on the 3rd line here is ok. Johnny Monny Tkachuk and Lindholm rarely play 20 mins or more in a game. They never play the full 2 mins on a pp or the first 1:45 unless they keep the zone the entire 2 mins.

Guys like Mangipane, Bennett, Dube, Valimaki, Hanifin, Backlund, Lucic all get real time on the PP. At times as fans we wish they don't but going into this year I'm excited to see what Dube, Mangipane, Bennett and Valimaki can do this year. The first 3 may not always get huge ice but they quite often get good ice in all situations so far in their careers. Has it helped their development? I guess Oiler fans and media think not. Edmonton is no good.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:12 AM   #3115
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
Lol. Does that collection include Kassian's mugshot?
and meth pipe

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:15 AM   #3116
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should have added this into the painting to denote his intelligence.

Old 01-14-2021, 11:18 AM   #3117
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The add on is when the coach shortens the bench that much, players come to believe that the coach doesn't trust them. On top of that they get lazy about it because they feel like Conna and Leon have got this so they don't push as hard.

Eventually and I've seen it you get a us against the coach and elite player mentality and it becomes even more pronounced for players in contract years. Screw you coach you're not playing me when it counts because you want to over rely on those guys, you're effecting my next pay day.

I've always had that gut feeling of a locker room split waiting to happen in Oiler ville especially when they get to the lets win Conna a award or two phase of the season.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 11:25 AM   #3118
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Oilers really benefited last year with the 5-0 start, in which they came from behind in each of those wins. That can give any team some great momentum to build off, and probably changed the course of their season last year. Without that start this year and the false confidence that came with it, they are going to be bottom two teams in the division for sure.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:36 AM   #3119
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

They were really missing the real meal last night
Closed Thread