Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-21-2014, 07:58 AM   #21
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Was going to start a thread on this but was a little hazy on the details, so thanks for starting it! Turns out I woulda written pretty much what the OP had written so I guess I have a little bit of a grasp. Anyway have been following this closely as my family is largely Ukrainian (and Eastern European when not) in decent. I don't consider myself Ukrainian as it's been 4 generations I think (3 or 4, and my grandparents never really talked about it, even as I got older and asked questions) but we did always celebrate Ukrainian Christmas, had been to Ukrainian Catholic churches on occasions, Ukrainian decorations and mementos around the house, my cousins even did Ukrainian dancing for a while.

Was speaking to a 1st generation Ukrainian about this about 10 days ago, he moved when he was in his early teens I believe, and he mentioned that while it is a big mess and he hopes they are able to distance themselves from Russia, that Russia had slowly been gaining influence for a while and he was disappointed the people hadn't done more earlier. 'No one cares till it's too late,' were his exact words.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #22
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This video's making it's rounds on FB

JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2014, 08:45 AM   #23
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Corruption? In the Ukraine? Is it Friday already?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:00 AM   #24
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post

She need a green card or a sponsor?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #25
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post

god that video really moved me. was tough for my mom to watch too, her whole side of the family is Ukrainian. i had no idea things were this bad over there. just horrible.

and i feel so guilty too cuz the whole time i was like "jesus this woman is gorgeous"
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:11 AM   #26
Lego Man
Hero

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Essential reading on the background, the political dynamics and the propaganda surrounding this protest:

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/arch...ne/?insrc=hpss
I can't thank you enough for posting that article. Really appreciate it.
Lego Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lego Man For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2014, 09:23 AM   #27
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
Was going to start a thread on this but was a little hazy on the details, so thanks for starting it! Turns out I woulda written pretty much what the OP had written so I guess I have a little bit of a grasp. Anyway have been following this closely as my family is largely Ukrainian (and Eastern European when not) in decent. I don't consider myself Ukrainian as it's been 4 generations I think (3 or 4, and my grandparents never really talked about it, even as I got older and asked questions) but we did always celebrate Ukrainian Christmas, had been to Ukrainian Catholic churches on occasions, Ukrainian decorations and mementos around the house, my cousins even did Ukrainian dancing for a while.

Was speaking to a 1st generation Ukrainian about this about 10 days ago, he moved when he was in his early teens I believe, and he mentioned that while it is a big mess and he hopes they are able to distance themselves from Russia, that Russia had slowly been gaining influence for a while and he was disappointed the people hadn't done more earlier. 'No one cares till it's too late,' were his exact words.
That is similar to my family. I had a Rusyn grandmother on my mother's side (not to be confused with "Russian" despite the similar sounding name. Rusyns identify as Ukrainians). She converted Catholic, but we still celebrated the Orthodox holidays (commonly called "Ukrainian holidays" in Canada). I even had the Rusyn folk outfit when I was really small. I haven't kept up with that side of my family since my mother died when I was fairly young and we moved, but the one thing that I always remember is how much they disliked Russians!

A lot of historians consider Ukrainians to the be the original precursor to modern Russians and the current Russian state. It's a politically sensitive topic though, and I won't even begin to try and argue for or against it.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #28
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surprisingly enough, the Western powers did something. After the US and EU started threatening Ukraine with sanctions (started a day or two ago), a rather quick settlement has been reached.

The 2004 constitution will be reinstated, a new presidential election will be held, and a new "joint government" (no details yet) will be formed. Also, former president Timoshenko, and important figure for the opposition, is likely to be released from jailed.

This is from Finnish news.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2014, 12:53 PM   #29
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is just an incredibly sad and depressing situation in which the country is being torn apart. I know that there has been political instability in the Ukraine for a long time, but the degree of violence is just appalling.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #30
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's a source detailing the settlement:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-0...full-statement

And here's a link saying it's not really necessarily as done as it sounds.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...-ukraine-talks

In any case the bloodshed seems to have stopped for now.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #31
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Surprisingly enough, the Western powers did something. After the US and EU started threatening Ukraine with sanctions (started a day or two ago), a rather quick settlement has been reached.

The 2004 constitution will be reinstated, a new presidential election will be held, and a new "joint government" (no details yet) will be formed. Also, former president Timoshenko, and important figure for the opposition, is likely to be released from jailed.

This is from Finnish news.
I hate to be a downer, but I think it's only a matter of time until Russia pulls the rope back the other way. They still have too much leverage on Ukraine's economy. In fact, every time Ukraine tries to westernize, Russia pulls something (shut's off their gas, bribes them with bailout money, etc...).
Old 02-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #32
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I hate to be a downer, but I think it's only a matter of time until Russia pulls the rope back the other way. They still have too much leverage on Ukraine's economy. In fact, every time Ukraine tries to westernize, Russia pulls something (shut's off their gas, bribes them with bailout money, etc...).
Yes, Russia has influence over Ukraine, but it's not like they have any interest in violence and instability across their border. Also, this is so NOT the real issue, even though large parts of western media, who generally don't even bother actually send reporters to Ukraine, only care about the EU/Russia thing.

Really the whole political situation in Ukraine is a lot more complicated than "bad Russia wants to keep little old Ukraine down, while good West just wants to play nice".

Pretty much the only thing that's making money in Ukraine right now is the heavy industry in the more russified East Ukraine. Considering that the country is on the brink of a financial collapse, it's really very understandable and to some extent their only option, to do what the people who keep the country going financially want.

Also, Russia has been willing to support the Ukraine in a way that the EU isn't. Of course this doesn't come without a price, but nobody would expect it to. (
They have also been selling farmland to the Chinese.)

However, none of the above is the reason why there's essentially an attempt at a revolution in Ukraine. The EU/Russia thing is just the thing creating sparts, but the powder keg is the (perceived) lack of democracy.

I was in Ukraine last summer, and met with people there, and have been following the development somewhat, although it's not that easy.

The perception of the rioting people is that the Ukrainian government has been trying to do what Hungary and Belarus already did, create a right-wing dictatorship. And they weren't down with that.

So the whole economy/east/west thing is more of a backdrop to what is really a pretty basic fight for human rights. They are demanding independent courts, end to corruption (good look with that, the political opposition is pretty hopeless in that way afaik) and a "more democratic" system in general.

Funnily enough, the "terribly undemocratic" system in Ukraine isn't that different from what it is for example in the US. The biggest party is the winner, regardless of how much of the popular vote they actually get. However, in a multiparty system this has created a situation where the divided opposition feels it has been scammed out of power.

Which is both true (this was deliberate on the part of the ruling party) and false (really the opposition shoot itself in the foot by not being able to unite and play the system like it's designed).
Old 02-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #33
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm, thought I'd add this:

The lack of democracy thing is something that I can't really confirm whether it's a real or perceived issue. However, from all I've heard and read over the years, I think it's pretty obvious that the court system is almost complete political control and used to intimidate and harass political opponents, so in that sense I'm sure the strong opposition is justified.

My guess is that this was, as the demonstrators say, pretty much the last chance for Ukrainians to try and stop the country turning into a dictatorship. But I can't base that feeling on solid facts.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:01 PM   #34
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Funnily enough, the "terribly undemocratic" system in Ukraine isn't that different from what it is for example in the US. The biggest party is the winner, regardless of how much of the popular vote they actually get. However, in a multiparty system this has created a situation where the divided opposition feels it has been scammed out of power.
Canada suffers from the same thing.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #35
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Absolutely sickening and disgusting the lengths people will go to to stay in power and to stifle positive change.

I guess we really shouldn't be surprised, this is human history throughout the ages. It seems to be the most narcissistic rise to power and have no problem killing others willfully in order to keep their power.

To us it is not logical. It really just does not make sense, and a lot of this world does not make sense and it is frightening.

We are living in interesting times. In North America and Europe, we are fighting for equal rights for all people, globalization is taking underdeveloped countries and rapidly developing them and brave people around the world are fighting tyrants in North Africa, the Middle East, Southeast Asia and Eastern Europe. The people have the ability to affect change in their country and we are all living it. I wish the progressive people of Ukraine and other countries struggling at the moment nothing but the best in their struggle.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #36
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, Russia has influence over Ukraine, but it's not like they have any interest in violence and instability across their border. Also, this is so NOT the real issue, even though large parts of western media, who generally don't even bother actually send reporters to Ukraine, only care about the EU/Russia thing.

Really the whole political situation in Ukraine is a lot more complicated than "bad Russia wants to keep little old Ukraine down, while good West just wants to play nice".

Pretty much the only thing that's making money in Ukraine right now is the heavy industry in the more russified East Ukraine. Considering that the country is on the brink of a financial collapse, it's really very understandable and to some extent their only option, to do what the people who keep the country going financially want.

Also, Russia has been willing to support the Ukraine in a way that the EU isn't. Of course this doesn't come without a price, but nobody would expect it to. (
They have also been selling farmland to the Chinese.)

However, none of the above is the reason why there's essentially an attempt at a revolution in Ukraine. The EU/Russia thing is just the thing creating sparts, but the powder keg is the (perceived) lack of democracy.

I was in Ukraine last summer, and met with people there, and have been following the development somewhat, although it's not that easy.

The perception of the rioting people is that the Ukrainian government has been trying to do what Hungary and Belarus already did, create a right-wing dictatorship. And they weren't down with that.

So the whole economy/east/west thing is more of a backdrop to what is really a pretty basic fight for human rights. They are demanding independent courts, end to corruption (good look with that, the political opposition is pretty hopeless in that way afaik) and a "more democratic" system in general.

Which is both true (this was deliberate on the part of the ruling party) and false (really the opposition shoot itself in the foot by not being able to unite and play the system like it's designed).
You are ignoring which outside nation is benefiting most from deterioration of Ukrainian democracy. I'll give you a clue.... it's Russia.

Last year, Ukraine was all set to ratify a EU trade deal worth about $1 billion. The deal was contingent on judicial reform and the freeing of political prisoners. Russia swooped in and offered them a $15 billion bailout to NOT do make those democratic reforms... and also acquired a Black Sea naval port and other interests in the process. Basically, the government decided to sell democracy in order to placate Russia's fear of growing western influence.

The Russia-EU forces, and what they mean for Ukrainian democracy, shouldn't be understated.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #37
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
You are ignoring which outside nation is benefiting most from deterioration of Ukrainian democracy. I'll give you a clue.... it's Russia.

Last year, Ukraine was all set to ratify a EU trade deal worth about $1 billion. The deal was contingent on judicial reform and the freeing of political prisoners. Russia swooped in and offered them a $15 billion bailout to NOT do make those democratic reforms... and also acquired a Black Sea naval port and other interests in the process. Basically, the government decided to sell democracy in order to placate Russia's fear of growing western influence.

The Russia-EU forces, and what they mean for Ukrainian democracy, shouldn't be understated.
If Ukraine wants to distance themselves from Russia then they're going to have to be more proactive than simply protesting in the streets.

Russia nixed the Ukraine/EU deal via simple blackmail. If they really want to get out from under the Czar's thumb then they're going to have to start by at least being somewhat independent. Otherwise they'll simply slip out from under one Czar's thumb and under another's.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2014, 03:35 PM   #38
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

And somehow, the Simpsons managed to predict Putin's plans, even before he came into power.

http://www.boreme.com/posting.php?id=11391#.UwfT-PlkR8E
Old 02-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #39
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
And somehow, the Simpsons managed to predict Putin's plans, even before he came into power.

http://www.boreme.com/posting.php?id=11391#.UwfT-PlkR8E
NSFW- swear

Spoiler!
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2014, 05:54 PM   #40
jofillips
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

this should be so much more of an issue here in Alberta than it is currently - after 3 or 4 generations equalling how many 10s or 100s of thousands of modern Albertans who can claim Ukrainian blood.
Such a shame for a great country with so much potential...

Oh and the Russian half? you're talking about under 20% of Ukraines population
jofillips is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corruption , dictatorship , historyrepeats , pinkocommies , protest , putinomics , soviet expansion