Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 04-11-2021, 10:12 PM   #61
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The game is about a lot more than stats. Foligno is really tough to play against. And not just in the hitting department. He can line up against top lines and be reliable positionally without the puck. He can dominate along the boards and in corners.That’s simply not true of Bennett.
No one is saying they are the same. But if Foligno is worth a first Bennett is worth something. And it’s also an overpayment for Foligno. Show me his advanced stats since they show what you are talking about.

I bet he sees 10 minutes per game.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:13 PM   #62
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
No one is saying they are the same. But if Foligno is worth a first Bennett is worth something. And it’s also an overpayment for Foligno. Show me his advanced stats since they show what you are talking about.

I bet he sees 10 minutes per game.
Value doesn't really work like that though...Foligno was worth a 1st to one team, they must like him. Bennett is worth whatever a team is willing to give up for him.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:20 PM   #63
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Value doesn't really work like that though...Foligno was worth a 1st to one team, they must like him. Bennett is worth whatever a team is willing to give up for him.
Thanks Tips.

Seriously, why comment on these things, then? I still say it’s an overpay.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:21 PM   #64
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks Tips.

Seriously, why comment on these things, then? I still say it’s an overpay.
Just pointing out TO really wanting Foligno doesn't make Bennett's value more or less the two things aren't really connected at all.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:24 PM   #65
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Just pointing out TO really wanting Foligno doesn't make Bennett's value more or less the two things aren't really connected at all.
Sure, OK. But still an overpay. I don’t get it. I get TO wanting to be tougher but tougher is usually cheap.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:30 PM   #66
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, OK. But still an overpay. I don’t get it. I get TO wanting to be tougher but tougher is usually cheap.
I agree with you...its a big time overpay
Old 04-11-2021, 11:33 PM   #67
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

The Leafs would have grit as something they want to add to their forward group, which Folgno brings, and until this current year had still been decently productive. Put him on a third or fourth line for a good team and he does offer something. Also have to think that he'd be pretty excited going there too. I can remember his old man in that egg head helmet of his interviewing after they beat the Blues in 93 and how he'd be partying on Younge street with all the fans that night.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:38 AM   #68
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
The Leafs would have grit as something they want to add to their forward group, which Folgno brings, and until this current year had still been decently productive. Put him on a third or fourth line for a good team and he does offer something. Also have to think that he'd be pretty excited going there too. I can remember his old man in that egg head helmet of his interviewing after they beat the Blues in 93 and how he'd be partying on Younge street with all the fans that night.

Yeah he needs to get his old mans lid from him and rock it in the playoffs.

Im not entirely sure how the Leafs run their lines but Im guessing Foligno lines up with one of Matthews or Tavares as a winger. He is really the type of guy you want going into the post season where the game just gets that much tougher.

Like this deal for all involved. Leafs in full "go for it" mode get a piece they can use anywhere in the line up. CBJ get assets for an expiring contract and likely re-sign him in the summer. SJ gets a broker fee.

Wins for eveyone.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:51 AM   #69
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Foligno also was the captain of Columbus. Teams pay extra for that.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:47 AM   #70
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

4M Taylor Hall - 2G 19P, good but not great stats prev 2 years = 2nd+

2.6M Jeff Carter - 8G 19P, 35ish pts prev 2 years = 3rd* +

1.625M Eric Staal - = 3G 10P (32gp), 50+ pts prev 2 yrs = 3rd+

1.375M Foligno - 7G 16P, 35ish pts prev 2 yrs =1st+

Zajac and Palmieri are both in this same ballpark stats wise around 2.5M each combined for a 1st+.

I suppose it shows the impact of AAV, but a couple of guys with Team Canada pedigree seem like ideal adds as proven versatile vets. Glad we managed a similar return for Rittich!

Staal is superb value (though he hasn't done much yet, but they also get more time with him); Carter and the NJD guys are pretty fair; Hall is a bit of a wildcard, but value makes sense relative to cap. Foligno is the worst deal.

1st+3rd+4th for Savard is a little steep, but given the dearth of available RHD, it makes sense with the 1M AAV, and TBL picks more likely to be at the very end of rounds.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote