Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-24-2021, 01:20 PM   #1
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default eBay hijinks

I sold an Xbox one x on eBay. It was relatively new and ran well. A week after getting it, the buyer claims it is running hot and making a lot of noise and he’s returning it. I didn’t believe him but he sent it back anyway. I don’t do a lot on eBay and didn’t realize that buyers can basics return anything by saying it wasn’t as advertised. So I get it back today and it was a different Xbox. I had taken pictures of the serial number and manufactured date before sending it. This one was built two years earlier and I’m sure isn’t working. eBay debuted my account for the full amount. So as of now, I’m out about $60 in fees and return shipping and I have a broken Xbox. I’ve filed an appeal with eBay that hopefully works out. I googled the guy and address and apparently he owns a pawn shop and the shop was his shipping address. Anything else reasonable I can do here? Anyone with similar experiences?
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:26 PM   #2
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

eBay is not a seller-friendly environment. It's sad, but the best way to approach it is to assume literally everyone is trying to rip you off.

No returns, sold as-is, take as many photos as possible (including unit in shipping box/material etc.), and hit people with strikes as much as you can.

It still doesn't stop bot-bids and other annoyances, but that's just life on eBay in 2021.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2021, 01:33 PM   #3
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I put no returns. But I guess that doesn’t mean anything. I’m hoping the fact that I have a photo of the serial number I sent him not matching what he sent back helps. But who knows. I feel like I’m going to get screwed.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:17 AM   #4
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

The appeal went in my favor, and I got all the money back. They didn't even ask for my pictures or require I send the broken xbox back to him. I wonder if he was accused of this before, even though his feedback rating is spotless.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2021, 10:08 AM   #5
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fun fact: Sellers can't rate buyers negatively. The worst you can do is put a strike against their account (and you can enable an option that buyers who have two or more strikes in the last 12 months can't bid on your items).

I reiterate, eBay is not friendly to Sellers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:47 AM   #6
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Fun fact: Sellers can't rate buyers negatively. The worst you can do is put a strike against their account (and you can enable an option that buyers who have two or more strikes in the last 12 months can't bid on your items).

I reiterate, eBay is not friendly to Sellers.
Thanks, I thought I was missing something by not seeing where to leave negative feedback to him.

This definitely opened my eyes to selling on ebay. I had no idea that people could return "no return" items for any reason and stick you with the fees/shipping. I'm glad eBay stepped in and helped when it was apparent it was a true scam though. I'm glad I happened to take the pic of the mfg date and SN. I only took the pic because someone asked me the mfg date, and it was too small to read with my old eyes!