Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2024, 07:57 AM   #21
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm excited. The Flames are projecting to pick in the top 10 and next season could be picking top 5. If they can make the picks count these times could be looked at as a turning point for the organization.
I'm excited for the picks but will still temper my expectations. Last time we drafted that high neither player worked out.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:05 AM   #22
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Well the season is more or less over. People might have moved on to other things.
I haven't watched a game since that embarrassment of a first period against Carolina after the deadline.

I don't hope they lose as I think cheering for your team to lose regardless of their playoff position is lame but I'm indifferent to losses now.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 08:12 AM   #23
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Well the season is more or less over. People might have moved on to other things.

I hope the Flames make the final 12 games a tryout camp. Play as many different players as you can and play wolf as much as you can. Figure out who’s ready and who isn’t for next season.

I’d fill in any gaps with journeymen on 2-3 year contracts until the younger players are ready. I still think they need a seasoned 2/3 center and 3/4 dman. Maybe they pick them up in the summer via a markstrom/Mangiapane trade.

Keep Pachal and Miromanov up along with Zary, Hunt, Coronato, Pospisil, Duehr. Try to be somewhat competitive so the culture of losing doesn’t set in.
Have you tried watching hockey just for the fun of enjoying the privilege of watching hockey?

Might be a fun excercise for you!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 08:22 AM   #24
OldSam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Wolf was very good last night. There was a good effort as well. Just enjoy the games. I will.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 08:38 AM   #25
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Hopefully the draft pick stock goes up while the kids continue to play well
Old 03-25-2024, 08:45 AM   #26
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_calderon View Post
I'm excited for the picks but will still temper my expectations. Last time we drafted that high neither player worked out.
Tkachuck is the last top 10 pick that the Flames had, how did he not work out? I'd make that pick again 10 out of 10 times. Even Monahan was good for his first 6 seasons here.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:47 AM   #27
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Tkachuck is the last top 10 pick that the Flames had, how did he not work out? I'd make that pick again 10 out of 10 times. Even Monahan was good for his first 6 seasons here.
Don't let facts get in the way of great nihilistic hyperbole!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 08:49 AM   #28
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Was referring to top 5 picks, but I see now that my memory failed me and Monahan went sixth. Obviously Chucky worked out well.
Old 03-25-2024, 09:14 AM   #29
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Next 6 games:
at Blackhawks
at Blues
vs Kings
vs Ducks
at Jets
vs Oilers

I would be happy we win against Kings and Oilers and lose other 4 games.
And I hope Penguins, Kraken, Senators, Canadiens and Coyotes have some late season runs to catch us too.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 09:16 AM   #30
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Bennett was still a good pick (and a far better one than the three guys who came after), he was just poorly developed.

If you said you could get Tkachuk, Monahan, and Bennett without drafting top 3 there would be 32/32 teams that would take that.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 09:24 AM   #31
redmile04
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
100%

My fear is the retention, not drafting anymore. Tkachuk, Fox, Gaudreau didnt stay. Monahan you cant do anything about injuries & Bennett didnt work out here. My fear is we draft well again in the next few years but similar issues happen again
Old 03-25-2024, 09:31 AM   #32
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Hope they win while the young guys are on their ELCs then I guess.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 09:31 AM   #33
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmile04 View Post
100%

My fear is the retention, not drafting anymore. Tkachuk, Fox, Gaudreau didnt stay. Monahan you cant do anything about injuries & Bennett didnt work out here. My fear is we draft well again in the next few years but similar issues happen again
You would hope that the organization has learned it's lesson, and will not nickle and dime it's young core players from here on out. If they believe in them, they will lock them up long term to ensure they have retention. And for examples like Fox, the Flames still got good value from him with what they got in return.

Flames just need to have proper asset management, and they'll be alright. So far though Conroy's first year, they're showing that.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 09:39 AM   #34
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Now that we are ripping things down, we need to exercise a lot of patience, there’s a really good chance that we won’t be relevant for at least 5 or 6 years and this it not the worst this team is going to be.
Soon (within the next year or two) we will be trading the likes of Mangiapane, Markstrom, Kuzmenko, and Sharongovich and maybe Weegar, Kadri and Coleman. This will give us a few more picks to work with. Hell, there’s a really good chance that by the time we are able to contend, a lot of the young players we are hopeful for today wont be around. It’s a long road ahead of us and this draft is just the initial steps for what this team will be in the future.

Way too early to get too concerned/excited
All In Good Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 09:43 AM   #35
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mercifully there are only 12 games left.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 09:46 AM   #36
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
100%

This is more of a Treliving thing though, which I have a feeling Conroy won't repeat. We're now seeing more and more guys after ELC locked up for 7 or 8 years instead of bridge contracts. I think for Calgary, which is not a destination team, they will need to go that route (similar to Ottawa, good or bad). Treliving screwed himself and the team's cap by constantly overpaying and over comitting to bad UFA signings.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 09:51 AM   #37
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
100%

I think all those players played a fairly normal length of time here.

Monahan and Gaudreau played 9 seasons for the Flames. They are 9th and 12th respectively in all time games played. Tkachuk played 6 season and was 30th all time for games played for the team.

It was less an issue of retention and more an issue of poor asset management. Though signing Gaudreau to an extension may have been a mistake in the first place ( though not as big of a mistake as Huberdeau).
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 09:59 AM   #38
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
Hopefully the draft pick stock goes up while the kids continue to play well
The kids (except Wolf) weren't that good last night. Pospisil was very tame, Zary wasn't on and Coronato hardly played. TBF to Pospisil and Zary, Kadri was ignoring them a lot.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 03:06 PM   #39
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
Three posts in a PGT more than 90mins since a regular season game ended.

That has to be some kind of CP record.
37 replies now. I got curious. So I did a search for threads with prefix PGT and at most 50 replies.

Other than a bunch of duplicate threads with a handful of replies I found only a few that come close. Most seem to be from the end of the season.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/search...12674552&pp=25
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 03:32 PM   #40
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
37 replies now. I got curious. So I did a search for threads with prefix PGT and at most 50 replies.

Other than a bunch of duplicate threads with a handful of replies I found only a few that come close. Most seem to be from the end of the season.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/search...12674552&pp=25
TBF, the PGT was started pretty late and there's a fair number of post game entries in the GT. Also Bingo's thread.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote